Hispanic Heritage Month

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hispanic Heritage Month runs from Sept 15 to Oct 15 in the USA.

7A19620E-6A90-4FC2-9106-9C84F713B59D.jpeg

Reactions: dulce

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
The conversation about Hispanic Heritage gets interesting when you have friends and neighbors who are Dominican, Puerto Rican, Ecuadorian, Guatemalan, etc. And then there's always the reliable Spaniard who will lay claim to being father of them all. LOL! No matter what, just enjoy another reason to eat, drink, and maybe learn something new.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When schools were open in the DR was this (Hispanic Heritage) celebrated ??

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Many persons that are 'labeled' Hispanic.....do not like the tag. This is something younger generations have been spood fed to accept. Younger generations.
Not all, with more than 100 pesos in their pockets.
If you are not Hispanic, or labeled as such, you would not understand.
No faults, you just wouldn't understand.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I think the full title is National Hispanic American Heritage Month ...We were invited to one of the events last year .... it was attended mostly by Mexican Americans, Cuban Americans and Puerto Rican’s...very little or no Dominican Americans .

The variety of the food at the event was excellent...It was an event for educators ..... one of the ‘resources for teachers ‘ was a program called Latino Americans (PBS)......very interesting ...( mi esposa made me watch the whole series ) ..recommended.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many persons that are 'labeled' Hispanic.....do not like the tag. This is something younger generations have been spood fed to accept. Younger generations.
Not all, with more than 100 pesos in their pockets.
If you are not Hispanic, or labeled as such, you would not understand.
No faults, you just wouldn't understand.
Many people don't like being labeled at all, but Hispanic is a correct term for people from countries that speak Spanish. Some prefer Latino, or even Chicano if they are Mexican origin. Only one I dont care for is latinx. Certainly Latino is more inclusive because it also includes Brazilians. Most people identify with their country of origin than either Hispanic or Latino.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Many people don't like being labeled at all, but Hispanic is a correct term for people from countries that speak Spanish. Some prefer Latino, or even Chicano if they are Mexican origin. Only one I dont care for is latinx. Certainly Latino is more inclusive because it also includes Brazilians. Most people identify with their country of origin than either Hispanic or Latino.

Mr. Saunders, you are all over the place with your assertion, in an attempt to please everybody. It is impossible to please everybody, and has caused many problems within our global structure because of such.

Let us break down, and evaluate your assertion, purely for conversational purposes:

1. Many people don't like being labeled at all.
This is correct, with the exception of a subset of today's generation attempting to align themselves with anybody who will accept them.

2. Hispanic is a correct term for people from countries that speak Spanish.
Wikipedia aside, I beg to differ. Those from Argentina, Spain, and Costa Rica do not identify as Hispanic. Three nations. Three different continents.

3. Certainly Latino is more inclusive because it also includes Brazilians.
According to whom? I've never met a Brazilian who has identified as Latino, not to mention Hispanic.

4. Most people identify with their country of origin than either Hispanic or Latino.
100% correct, and this is what I am alluding to. The overwhelming majority of persons who get identified/labeled as Hispanics, themselves utilize their own proper nation of origin, not the catch all, unless they reside within one or two specific nations, and fall victim to the label process bestowed upon them. Have you ever heard a Dominican within RD referring to himself/herself as Hispanic or Latino?

My overall reasoning is that this term 'Hispanic' is indeed an incorrect catch all phrase, only used by certain nations, to lump together those who may utilize the Spanish language, but have nothing more/else in common.

Let us imagine you walking into an Argentine restaurant, and being seated with your Dominican wife. At the next table is a Mexican couple. Across from them sits a couple from Spain. At the bar, is a gentleman from Ecuador who is awaiting his Costa Rican girlfriend to return from the ladies room. The bartender is from Peru. The waiter is from Chile.
Would it be proper to say the restaurant is 100% filled with Hispanics, yourself included, as you are a Dominican citizen who speaks the Spanish language?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mr. Saunders, you are all over the place with your assertion, in an attempt to please everybody. It is impossible to please everybody, and has caused many problems within our global structure because of such.

Let us break down, and evaluate your assertion, purely for conversational purposes:

1. Many people don't like being labeled at all.
This is correct, with the exception of a subset of today's generation attempting to align themselves with anybody who will accept them.

2. Hispanic is a correct term for people from countries that speak Spanish.
Wikipedia aside, I beg to differ. Those from Argentina, Spain, and Costa Rica do not identify as Hispanic. Three nations. Three different continents.

3. Certainly Latino is more inclusive because it also includes Brazilians.
According to whom? I've never met a Brazilian who has identified as Latino, not to mention Hispanic.

4. Most people identify with their country of origin than either Hispanic or Latino.
100% correct, and this is what I am alluding to. The overwhelming majority of persons who get identified/labeled as Hispanics, themselves utilize their own proper nation of origin, not the catch all, unless they reside within one or two specific nations, and fall victim to the label process bestowed upon them. Have you ever heard a Dominican within RD referring to himself/herself as Hispanic or Latino?

My overall reasoning is that this term 'Hispanic' is indeed an incorrect catch all phrase, only used by certain nations, to lump together those who may utilize the Spanish language, but have nothing more/else in common.

Let us imagine you walking into an Argentine restaurant, and being seated with your Dominican wife. At the next table is a Mexican couple. Across from them sits a couple from Spain. At the bar, is a gentleman from Ecuador who is awaiting his Costa Rican girlfriend to return from the ladies room. The bartender is from Peru. The waiter is from Chile.
Would it be proper to say the restaurant is 100% filled with Hispanics, yourself included, as you are a Dominican citizen who speaks the Spanish language?
I have heard many Spaniards refer to themselves as Hispanics . Hispania is Spain in Latin. I understand Hispanic is not a language but a cultural sphere across the world. Certainly Dominicans don't like to be called Puerto Ricans. The problem is America uses the term as a race identifier.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have heard many Spaniards refer to themselves as Hispanics . Hispania is Spain in Latin. I understand Hispanic is not a language but a cultural sphere across the world. Certainly Dominicans don't like to be called Puerto Ricans. The problem is America uses the term as a race identifier.
I understand from my visits to Spain that most people identify themselves by the region they come from.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Again, as presented......

Again, only for conversational purposes.
It would be interesting for feed back from those others that occasionally fall under this label as well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Again, as presented......

Again, only for conversational purposes.
It would be interesting for feed back from those others that occasionally fall under this label as well.
All would be hispanic except for me because my heritage is not from any Spanish speaking country. How each person indentified themselves would be their personal preference. Probably most would not be insulted to be called Latinos, except the couple from Spain. It is the Americans that coin the term Hispanic as an identity for census and for government programs...etc.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
All would be hispanic except for me because my heritage is not from any Spanish speaking country. How each person indentified themselves would be their personal preference. Probably most would not be insulted to be called Latinos, except the couple from Spain. It is the Americans that coin the term Hispanic as an identity for census and for government programs...etc.

Accepted view of thought.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
How each person indentified themselves would be their personal preference.

There it is !

When we attended these Heritage events ..we found that most people prefered ...”Mexican American “ ...”Cuban American “ ...”Puerto Rican” etc ...whatever the person or group of people told us they were ...worked for us ...and there was no harm in asking first.