Hit or Myth

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good morning everyone,

Interesting chat with some of my DR friends over the past week Here is what I've been told;

1. I can buy a car here by simply using my passport.

2. I don't need a DR drivers license.

3. All I need is the minimum insurance, about $50 annually.

4. The only police that can hold and charge me are the Policia Cestur. Other police can stop me but can't charge me, drunk driving, etc.

5. I can purchase a decent Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 for about $10,000.

A few of you are aware of my living arrangement here during the winter. I stay in a resort about four to five months a year. I rent cars as I need them. Roughly $30 a day total cost. I've been told by the resort manager I can keep my car here when I'm back in Canada.

I know from the DR1 forum, the laws for non DR residents are fairly strict for drivers license and vehicle purchase. Does my non resident status allow me to avoid all this and do what my friends are telling me. Are they hitting the nail on the head or are they myths?

You can buy it using a passport but that is not difficult part. If you buy from a private individual than he would have to give you a sales contract, a police report showing that their are no legal problems with the car, the title and you would need proof of insurance. You will need to take this to motor vehicle and get the title and registration in your name. Once the car is in your name you need to get it inspected and get a marbete sticker for your windshield. You might be better off to continue renting if you are only in the DR for a few months.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You can buy it using a passport but that is not difficult part. If you buy from a private individual than he would have to give you a sales contract, a police report showing that their are no legal problems with the car, the title and you would need proof of insurance. You will need to take this to motor vehicle and get the title and registration in your name. Once the car is in your name you need to get it inspected and get a marbete sticker for your windshield. You might be better off to continue renting if you are only in the DR for a few months.

One is no more legal driving a rental after the first 30 days than driving your own car.
It is the license that isn't valid not the car itself.
Der fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you do not need to get it inspected to get a marbete...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree PC2....

In fact , I would argue that any insurance company in any country would deny a claim on the basis of an invalid/expired license.

A classic case of buyer beware...... paying for nothing in this case.

Basically, will you be charged ??? Dunno
but one thing for certain.... you have a claim to nothing.. no protection, no insurance

When you are not covered under the law............. as would be the case here.

We have beaten this to death in other threads
but always, the loose lips flap.

They'll really flap when they're in the hoosgow.....
if they have internet !!!

hahaha

operating an insured car with an expired license does not void coverage. it is a road traffic offense, but the policy remains in effect. i don?t know how it works in the DR. i don?t know how anything works in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know Gorgon

Try buying an insurance policy with no license..... I have, it didn't work

I tried to buy a Cdn policy with a US license -- no go, Joe
I had to have a valid license in the country of the policy.... off to the License bureau I went.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I own a 1994 Nissan Altima. Bought it for $1,000 10 years ago. Never got the dents or key marks painted. All windows good. Runs like new. Police look at me [The old gringo 76 six years old driving it and just smile] When stoped just comply with their demands. Never give them money. If they ask for money i just show them my PLD member card [Gringo member cant vote ] With president Medinas signature on it. They just smile and say By By.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know Gorgon

Try buying an insurance policy with no license..... I have, it didn't work

I tried to buy a Cdn policy with a US license -- no go, Joe
I had to have a valid license in the country of the policy.... off to the License bureau I went.

Last week, the Ontario Court of Appeal released a decision that is important to automobile insurers. While you may logically assume that insurance coverage is rightfully denied when the insured drives with an expired license, the Ontario Court of Appeal disagrees. The Court has ruled that having a valid driver’s license is not a condition precedent to being insured under the Ontario Automobile Policy

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I own a 1994 Nissan Altima. Bought it for $1,000 10 years ago. Never got the dents or key marks painted. All windows good. Runs like new. Police look at me [The old gringo 76 six years old driving it and just smile] When stoped just comply with their demands. Never give them money. If they ask for money i just show them my PLD member card [Gringo member cant vote ] With president Medinas signature on it. They just smile and say By By.

I'm beginning to think along your lines. An older car in relatively good shape. As a teenager, I spent my summers working in myfathers service station and have mechanical skills. I restores sports cars as a hobby for years. Parts and where to get the here would be my only problem. My DR lady friend who lives with my Candian friend is a widow. Her husband was in the secret police and died in a motorcycle accident. When she travelled with me, I Had no hassles with the police. It's nice to be the King!

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
i just show them my PLD member card [Gringo member cant vote ] With president Medinas signature on it. They just smile and say By By.

How to become a member of this fcking PLD? I was in their main office in Gazcue once, but because my friends (tourists) wanted their free T-Shirts, so I went with them to the main office and asked for the gift... got some T-Shirts with their colors :)

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Been said many times here-
you're playing with fire by using a foreign license after the allowed timeframe.

Might be hard to explain car ownership on a foreign license....
they aren't all dunces...

So, you own a car but have no RD license............. explicame , por favor ???

Buying it is one thing,
using it - driving around for 4 months or so is another

Hire a driver ???
way less than $30/day and zero problems on the road...IMO

Bill,
I do pay the taxes for the extended tourist visa during my stay. Wouldn't that allow me to continue using my Canadian driving licence? The car rental company doesn't have a problem with it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many disagree with that here.... so nobody seems really clear.

Some say you need to renew the rental every 30 days.
Some say the insurance won't pay after the 30 days.
Some say the tourist card is 30 days, others say 60.

It's too confusing to call and we don't seem to have a real life case to point to.... in most cases.

There was a report of Insurance non-payment, as I recall - but...........

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks Bill,

All I know is the lady who shreds my tourist card at the airport says it good for thirty days and Budget requires a 28 day rental renewal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is not an easy game to learn the rulebook.

Read the overstay thread.... conflicting information at every turn