Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando - Stay away

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Recent stay at above mentioned property. The front door of the room did not lock and was easily pushed in. See attached photos. In addition the room was musty and the AC did not work . Big downfall as this once glorious property is now managed by Hodelpa(Dominican owned) made me feel like they were doing me a favor. Never again see photos of entry door.

Attachments

• 20210610_185037.jpg
    20210610_185037.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The deadbolt didn't work either?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
top tier chain on the island. Did you ask to be moved to another room? I am a regular, love the chain. Especially the property in Santiago

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Recent stay at above mentioned property. The front door of the room did not lock and was easily pushed in. See attached photos. In addition the room was musty and the AC did not work . Big downfall as this once glorious property is now managed by Hodelpa(Dominican owned) made me feel like they were doing me a favor. Never again see photos of entry door.
Did you like the location? The court yard? The restaurants with-in walking distance? There must have been something you liked other than a door not functioning correctly and could have been fixed in 30 minutes ....no?

• Wow
Reactions: Tamborista

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
There is quite a story about that hotel. Accor the French chain had it before as a Sofitel property along with the Mercure in the Conde and the beautiful boutique Hotel Francés. The Francés fell down one night literally collapsed into a pile of rubble. Supposedly because road works outside had disturbed the foundations but rumor has it that it was a bit more deliberate. A massive argument followed with the government and Accor and Accor then exited rapidly. The three hotels were taken over by Hodelpa who have always had good friends in government. Again rumor has it that they pay peanuts in rent for the three hotels and it had been decided a long time ago that they would get these hotels by their mates.. I always thought they were not the chain that should be running the Nicolas d'Ovando they are way too down-market. So your report doesn't surprise me at all.

Reactions: Mcinbrass

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Did you like the location? The court yard? The restaurants with-in walking distance? There must have been something you liked other than a door not functioning correctly and could have been fixed in 30 minutes ....no?
Yes but I should have been moved 3x situation reeked

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Who gives a shit if there's no security

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
top tier chain on the island. Did you ask to be moved to another room? I am a regular, love the chain. Especially the property in Santiago
I've stayed at the Hodelpa Central Plaza many times,my most recent was two weeks ago and it was my last. I was double billed for the room and I caught it before I left Santiago and I went back to the hotel in person and the front desk refused to acknowledge their mistake and correct it,I had to do a charge back on my credit card which I hate doing.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I've stayed at the Hodelpa Central Plaza many times,my most recent was two weeks ago and it was my last. I was double billed for the room and I caught it before I left Santiago and I went back to the hotel in person and the front desk refused to acknowledge their mistake and correct it,I had to do a charge back on my credit card which I hate doing.
Sounds like a form of dare I say it "Theft"

Reactions: Tom0910

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Always use American Express on things such as hotels. Often times companies don't accept AMEX because they have a higher fee to merchants, but AMEX stands by their customers at the expense of the merchants. Making a charge back through them is easy and with no hassle. The best CC brand.