Hola DR!

Sep 22, 2009
Huh
Screenshot_20200801-175906.png

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'd give up on this plan for now, coming from someone who has owned a restaurant for 4 years in Santiago, it's not the time for any food related businesses. Costs are skyrocketing, consumers have less disposable income, ingredients are becoming next to impossible to get ahold of, government is looking to sanction us wherever they can, no government assistance.

Anyways, I'll take a look at the business plan for no charge or anything, maybe you have some crazy idea that might work and nobody else has thought of!

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I wish you the best of luck with your dream. What comes to mind for me is the difficulty of opening a business in a developing country, especially if you don't know the language and culture. IMO this is very different than say, a Chinese family moving to a US city and opening a restaurant. In the US there is a viable economy, regulations, laws, etc. that could facilitate such a scenario.
Don't be deceived, the economic and social climate in the DR is nothing like that!
In terms of living, as another poster mentioned, it's very different than visiting. I think the DR is a great place to visit, the beaches are beautiful, people are friendly, it's a fun place to relax and party.
Living there is different. Things don't really work. The power goes out, there is no water, tough to get anything done. The most frustrating for me is the level of social stupidity. It's hard to explain, but you just see people doing stupid sh!t all the time. This really got to me, I'm not sure why. I found myself just shaking my head and muttering 'What the actual f@ck' over and over. Very not awesome.
Now, with COVID, I don't see the DR as a great place to try to start a business. So much uncertainty.
If it's possible, could you take an extended time to visit the country? Like 6 months to a year? If you are thinking of totally changing your life it might be worth the time/cost/hassle of doing this before you pull the trigger and actually move there.
Finally and I guess most importantly: You are getting information on this forum from people who live or have lived in the DR. Some of them have had businesses here. They are being real about the pitfalls and if I were you I would listen carefully before making any big decisions.