Hola DR1 Peeps!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hey Ecoman, tall-masted schooners are the bomb diggity, aren't they? I've sailed on the Mary Day, the Zodiak, and the Arabella. Beautiful ships. I love sailing close to the water where you can feel the spray on your face! :love: I live in the desert now, and miss the water.
Good morning CH from a sailor who resides on a massive granite rock on the extreme eastern edge of Canada next to the North Atlantic. We used to be located at the entrance to the Med but continental drift eventually moved us to where we are now. During our cold winters, I wish we were still next to the Med. I grew up by the water and couldn’t conceive of living anywhere else. I spend a lot of time exploring the DR beaches on the North Coast. Regarding your desire to live in Samana, it has many attractions including a European flair, however, you may want to give some thought to the Río San Juan to Monti Christi area. I visit friends in Luperon a lot. It has a very safe hurricane hole harbour and a large yachting community. A perfect place to meet sailors and crew on their boats for day sails. Enjoy your day in the desert. The last desert I was in was the Sahara in the 80’s.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I'm getting the impression that you think we would be crazy to consider DR for retirement and that our desire to consider it must be based in an ignorance of the actuality....
Have you considered Key West? If it wasn’t so expensive I would retire there tomorrow.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
More affordable is the Mississippi Gulf coast all the way over to the Florida Panhandle
Spent some time in Alabama and Florida. Your right. Much more affordable real estate near the coastline and the winter weather is much better on the Gulf side. I have a Canadian cousin who spends the winters in Port Arthur, Texas. Loves the place. The big draw for me is I can drive to those areas from my place and I can stay for six months and three days as a Canadian Snowbird. No residential or citizenship hassles.

Reactions: KyleMackey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am retired due to disability. I used to be a high tech SME specializing in data governance and systems integration/data migration for ERP systems. Hubby still works though. I'm in Arizona. What did you do in Cabarete/Sousa to make it big? What kind of IT work do you specialize in?

What part of AZ? I used to live in Tucson. Son still does.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm getting the impression that you think we would be crazy to consider DR for retirement and that our desire to consider it must be based in an ignorance of the actuality....
I am retired here and don't regret it at all. Only difficulty I have is getting really good progressive eyeglass lenses.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Actually to some of the members jumping on the OP, you should do a little homework on the history of the Samaná Península.
Historically, there actually were other languages spoken there, aside from Spanish, most notably......English.
Learn your history.
In Las Terrenas French is also important

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I look at it as our (my husband and I's) collective retirement, which will not take place until he is retirement age. We have 20 years to go. I was with BearingPoint (previously KPMG Consulting) and Deloitte Consulting. You were our competition! XD
Welcome to Wonderland!!!!
I left the good old USA about
6 months after Katrina and I've lived
all over the world since. DR is my
favorite. Been here now for 8+ yrs.
Curious, where did you live in Taiwan?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Welcome aboard; if you can get through the hazing on Dr1 , you can live almost anywhere. Try Latino Spanish.... then
I am ex-PwC, MCS. I sailed on the Bounty. If you are retired, the statement that you are planning to retire in 20 years is confusing. I made it big in Sosua with a beach bar and a property management business
I was in Lunenburg NS where and when the HMS Bounty was built. Back in School Days.
What a great ship. You just got kudos.

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
Welcome aboard; if you can get through the hazing on Dr1 , you can live almost anywhere. Try Latino Spanish.... then

I was in Lunenburg NS where and when the HMS Bounty was built. Back in School Days.
What a great ship. You just got kudos.
Well, thanks but you'll have to withdraw the kudos lol. There was a Mutiny on the Bounty and I def didn't make my livelihood in the beach biz. I was, however with PwC, that's actually how I wound up in Santo Domingo all those years ago

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In Las Terrenas French is also important

Although there are many French visitors and residents to the Las Terrenas area, Dominicans are very hesitant to speak French due to issues with that nation to the west.

Sep 22, 2009
Although there are many French visitors and residents to the Las Terrenas area, Dominicans are very hesitant to speak French due to issues with that nation to the west.
I thought is was just due to being a useless language

Although in law school here you need a few semesters of it so you can quote the correct habeas corpus and look important in the fiscalía

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I thought is was just due to being a useless language

Although in law school here you need a few semesters of it so you can quote the correct habeas corpus and look important in the fiscalía

I was being kind. Regarding the French, as well as that nation to the west.
It's a new week.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I was being kind. Regarding the French, as well as that nation to the west.
It's a new week.
I happen to like the strong French and Italian influence in Las Terrenas. Recently more Canadians and Americans have been visiting and settling more there. Its all positive.