Holiday drunk driving traffic stops ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So, other than around the capital, has anyone heard if they will be setting up drunk driving stops ?
I won't be driving drunk (I have a two beer limit), but it would be nice to see them get some of the a-holes off the road before they kill someone.

Traffic on the North Coast is out of control now at all hours, and tourism is lower than normal. Driving on the shoulder or trying to make 3 lanes out of two has become the norm.
I am actually am looking forward to the Cangrejo bridge being removed to reduce some of the drunks from Santiago from blowing in on the weekends

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have never seen a road side stop for drunk drivers here. Seen it for everything but that.
Had to go to Jumbo in Bavaro today and traffic is an absolute nightmare. It's been that way since covid was cured.
Record number of people here and no new roads.
On a positive note AMET was directing traffic to get it moving.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I've never heard of them stopping anyone to do drink and drive tests. They don't even have breathalysers, do they?

As for the north coast road, some day they will have to make a four lane highway all the way from Puerto Plata to past Gaspar Hernandez. Getting through any of the towns in between has become a slow, dangerous nightmare, with more cars and trucks all the time.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just read an article from the Canadian city I live in, and they said that so far during their holiday check stop program only 2 of 653 drivers stopped were impaired.
If they did that here it would be only 2 passed and the other 651 were impaired.
The number of drivers stopped are low this year as its minus 35 without wind chill and people have the sense to stay inside.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
In total, seven countries were graded ‘F’, led by one of America’s favorite Caribbean retreats:

1. Dominican Republic – 64.6 per 100.000 inhabitants
  2. Saudi Arabia – 35.9
  3. Thailand – 32.2
  4. Vietnam – 30.6
  5. Malaysia – 22.5
  6. Iran – 21.5
  7. South Africa – 22.2

Traffic Related Fatalities Are Surprisingly Common In The Dominican Republic​

Busy Road In Sosua, Dominican Republic, Latin America

With a lead of 28.7 points, the Dominican Republic (DR) is the most dangerous country for driving, being named by WHO the worst for traffic accidents per inhabitant in the world. According to the entity, the leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 29 in the DR is fatal car collisions, surpassing figures for at least three underdevelopedAfrican countries.

Reactions: melphis

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If they took the unlicensed drivers of cars and motos off the road and ticket all drivers trying to use the shoulders they would cut fatalities by 50%.Then arrest all reckless truck and bus drivers and prevent them from returning for 1 year they would cut another 30%.
The lack of a reasonable minimum of traffic enforcement on flagrant violators is unexplainable

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There aint a prison big enough to hold all the drunk drivers on this island. After 11:00 pm every swinging Richard on the road is under the influence and/or drunk. I am so much more concerned about getting in a collision and becoming injured by a reckless driver than I am getting covid.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Dominican drivers are dangerous idiots, with maybe a few exceptions.

Either they have no licences, don't know the laws, or have a total disregard for any laws.
Motorcycle riders are a pest, but car and truck drivers are right behind them.

Self entitled doing whatever they want, with a total disregard to other people.
A perfect display of average Dominican mentality, with a few normal people who are the minority.
Dominican average mentality is ignorant in your face.
People are better off in A.I. resorts and as cruise arrivals, which is displayed in tourism stats.
Not a great country for individual tourism, with many dangers including the "judicial" system.

If I did not have family in the DR, I would never return.
I do drive a new car and a motorcycle in the DR.
I have world driving experience, drive defensively and have so far survived.
Regardless, driver beware!!!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
If they took the unlicensed drivers of cars and motos off the road and ticket all drivers trying to use the shoulders they would cut fatalities by 50%.Then arrest all reckless truck and bus drivers and prevent them from returning for 1 year they would cut another 30%.
The lack of a reasonable minimum of traffic enforcement on flagrant violators is unexplainable
I am sure it has happened, however I have never seen or heard of a person being arrested for drunk driving.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We try to never be on the roads here on any Sunday or holiday from dusk onwards.
Sunday's and holidays here are national "let's get sh*t faced drunk and see how fast the beater of a car can go with no lights".
I can't imagine how bad this Sunday being Christmas day will be.

Is it to late to start the old "Christmas death pool". In the old days DV8 monitored it. Is it even allowed here anymore. It's completely tasteless and disgusting but it kept us gringos entertained.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
We try to never be on the roads here on any Sunday or holiday from dusk onwards.
Sunday's and holidays here are national "let's get sh*t faced drunk and see how fast the beater of a car can go with no lights".
I can't imagine how bad this Sunday being Christmas day will be.

Is it to late to start the old "Christmas death pool". In the old days DV8 monitored it. Is it even allowed here anymore. It's completely tasteless and disgusting but it kept us gringos entertained.

Reactions: Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There aint a prison big enough to hold all the drunk drivers on this island. After 11:00 pm every swinging Richard on the road is under the influence and/or drunk. I am so much more concerned about getting in a collision and becoming injured by a reckless driver than I am getting covid.
Is Covid still a thing ?
As a person who had his fiancée and her roommate killed by a drunk driver 42 years ago (in California) - I would love to have a big truck and run some of the shoulder driving drunks off the road. As said above it's all because there is no respect, everyone in a car or on a moto seems to think they are more important than the next person, even though they are coming from their 200 peso an hour job.
Perhaps it makes them feel like they won the lottery when they can jump two cars ahead ?
Swinging Richard ? - I remember those days

I vote for roadside sobriety checkpoints on Highway 5 on the North Coast. Just a few key arrests would spread the word.

korejdk_again

Mar 26, 2019
In total, seven countries were graded ‘F’, led by one of America’s favorite Caribbean retreats:

1. Dominican Republic – 64.6 per 100.000 inhabitants
  2. Saudi Arabia – 35.9
  3. Thailand – 32.2
  4. Vietnam – 30.6
  5. Malaysia – 22.5
  6. Iran – 21.5
  7. South Africa – 22.2

Traffic Related Fatalities Are Surprisingly Common In The Dominican Republic​

Busy Road In Sosua, Dominican Republic, Latin America

With a lead of 28.7 points, the Dominican Republic (DR) is the most dangerous country for driving, being named by WHO the worst for traffic accidents per inhabitant in the world. According to the entity, the leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 29 in the DR is fatal car collisions, surpassing figures for at least three underdevelopedAfrican countries.

Born and raised behind the Iron Curtain I find the Eastern European countries very dangerous, but driving in DR is challenging now to say the least...in the late 90's early 00's it seemed more civil...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Born and raised behind the Iron Curtain I find the Eastern European countries very dangerous, but driving in DR is challenging now to say the least...in the late 90's early 00's it seemed more civil...

Sure. There were less cars, and most were driven by persons of means who were better educated.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I just drove my POP to La Vega yesterday on Christmas Eve. I did see lots of Police presence in Santiago on standby. I Saw P.N on bikes about 12 in a row with shotguns on their laps.

I surprisingly only saw one accident at an intersection which more than likely if from someone not stopping and clipping the other butt. Other than that it was not as busy as a normal day.

Since others have thrown in their 2 cents why this place is so crazy to drive i'll throw in mine too, it's important to differentiate between driving in a urban/municipal environment vs inter-city they both have their own dangers

Inter-city:

- Driver education and a big ego that they're the jefe and lack of spacial awareness and unable to calculate mechanical response times
- Distracted driving
- Driving in the middle of the line then not looking or signalling when wanting to change lanes
- Poor road planning solid lines when there should be opportunities to pass
- Cattle because farmers are irresponsible here and contribute to a lot of deaths but somehow it's ok cause it's what god wanted.
- Heavy Rain while traveling with bad tread of vehicles
- Poor lighting ( mechanical and street lights )

municipal/ in-city

- Driver education and a big ego that they're the jefe and lack of spacial awareness and unable to calculate mechanical response times
- Distracted driving
- Driving in the middle of the line then not looking or signalling when wanting to change lanes
- Open man-holes and other road obstructions that cause serious mechanical issues
- High population density
- Motorcycles
- Not respecting traffic lights even when its busy

Mostly its the roads to be honest - major highways through small villages and cities, like it just hurts everyone and causes huge issues. I cannot imagine having kids living near a road like that because people do not care here but also - the Diesel soot and other exhaust gases are just horrible here from heavy trucks but also vehicles burning oil from being improperly maintained or just old.

Feliz Navidad a todos :) enjoy the great parts about there this christmas!

Reactions: Kricke87

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Poor driving skills
Lack of knowledge of the rules of the road
I would say the driving skills are actually as good as anywhere, however driver etiquette is almost no-existent, and most don't GAF about rules. Here in Jarabacoa it is mainly the young people on motorcycles that cause most of the issues, and they are certainly the largest group of fatalities.

Reactions: chico bill and PJT