Home Alarm System

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Yes they have this service here. It calls a private security company for about 1000 pesos per month

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
1- have one or more small blinking lights day and nigh clearly seen from any side of the house, blue, red or yellow, depending on which scare the most in DR, indicting there is an alarm system in place

2- motion detector are more effective if the can detect any motion long before the get close the house, in the front and back yard, range is adjustable in good quality motion detectors

3- make sure you have a battery system, in case there is no power, to last long enough

4- do a real life test every week at least

5- turn the alarm on, for a few seconds, if you see a suspicious activity in the area, in case the blinking light was not enough to scare them

there are a few more things that should be done

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I brought my alarm from the states. I have mentioned this several times in other threads so here I go again. I got my alarm from a company in Queens, met with the owner and he is a great guy; he even gifted me a few motion detectors. IMO they have the most economical system. I have had it for about a year now and it works great. The control panel has a SIM card slot so that you can put a SIM car (must be prepaid) and the control panel will dial up to 6 phone numbers when the alarm is set off. There site is down at moment so check back later......

AAS Alarm Inc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are numerous portable motion-sensor systems that work.

A sign in each window and on each door and on the gate/fence is a good idea.

AE, if you need advice, Alida's nephew has a good security company in Santiago and he travels. He also has a company in Miami. He knows his stuff and also speaks English.

However, my observation is because so many alarms go off all the time, most just get ignored.

If you can't have dogs, have some guinea hens. They can make a big racket when spooked...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think AE has a rottweiler. trust me when i say that rotties do not live well with guineas... :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i think AE has a rottweiler. trust me when i say that rotties do not live well with guineas... :)
Like I said: if you can't have dogs...

Peacocks are another early-warning bird, and prettier (and messier) than guineas. PLUS, you never think about eating one...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I brought my alarm from the states. I have mentioned this several times in other threads so here I go again. I got my alarm from a company in Queens, met with the owner and he is a great guy; he even gifted me a few motion detectors. IMO they have the most economical system. I have had it for about a year now and it works great. The control panel has a SIM card slot so that you can put a SIM car (must be prepaid) and the control panel will dial up to 6 phone numbers when the alarm is set off. There site is down at moment so check back later......

AAS Alarm Inc

I REALLY like the sound of this alarm, because there are no land lines where we live. Didn't know this was even possible.

When I had my house in Maimon, I had one of those fancy alarm systems installed like you see on TV, but without the phone call service (No phone)

I also had an electrician run a line all the way around the house, with a box every 10 ft or so, and installed a cheap motion detector double light on each one. They can be set up to trigger at a reasonable distance. You couldn't walk in my yard anywhere without setting one off. Thieves hate light.

The alarm system hardly ever went off. The lights? Another story. Everybody that lived in the area knew those lights would turn on in a heart beat. Even a dog walking in the yard would set them off.

Of course, I had a generator and inverter to make sure I had 24/7 electricity.

We have a lot of motion sensor lights now, but because it's a rather remote location I think they're almost useless. Right now one of our inverters is on the fritz, so no outside lights at all [when electric off] until the electrician gets there. Caretaker is sleeping almost at the front door right now because of the other break-ins.

Yes, we have a large rottie roaming the property. If we had guineas, our neighbors would catch and eat them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would love to have a peacock. sadly, the dogs. sadly, the cats. but yeah, i agree, peacocks, geese, guineas, they are great to rise hell. unfortunately they are also great to bake or roast. so i am guessing by the time AE would visit again there would be no birdies :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have been thinking of bringing a electric fencer.....the type for cattle and wire it to the top of the wall.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Did you come up with anything AE?

Shop GE Personal Security Motion Sensing Alarm with Key Fob at Lowes.com

My wife just returned from the cold North with 4 of these. One key fob can be used for all four so I have 3 extra key fobs. You have to go to each unit to arm/disarm. NO central command unit so I'm putting one on our covered porch outside of our bedroom door, in chime mode.

I'm playing with them today. Amazon at under 20.00

Change batteries once a year. Key fobs are not the best quality but a little tape will fix that and with 3 extra I'm not concerned.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Did you come up with anything AE?.

We're leaning heavily towards the system that Lisaguass recommended, which uses the sim card. No central monitoring, but could call our caretaker, a neighbor, a brother-in-law, etc.

Now that our dog was attacked, I think we need it even more.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I use a "Suegromatico'!
My father-in-law, or I, are ALWAYS at home!!!
If "Alarm Systems"did any good here, everyone would have one.
They don't"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We're leaning heavily towards the system that Lisaguass recommended, which uses the sim card. No central monitoring, but could call our caretaker, a neighbor, a brother-in-law, etc.

Dog attacked?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

Im glad you liked my recommendation. Most alarms they sell here are the wired ones. Was talking to a neighbor and he told me that a friend's house in Tamboril was broken into. I wasn't very surprised until he told me that the guy had a home alarm. Apparently the alarm went off when the thieves pried open the front door, but since the keypad was installed right next to the front door they were able to pull the wires or bash the control panel in which the sirens were no longer sounding. The neighbors ignored it since the sirens turned off, they thought it was a false alarm. That's the problem with those wired alarm systems; once you install the control panel, it can't be moved! With the wireless alarm you can place the control panel where ever you want; bascially it should be installed or placed in a bedroom which can be locked when you aren't home.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My car alarm goes off twice a day, so loud it hurts, sends the dogs crazy.... nobody has ever bothered, too common....
I prepare as if I m on my own in that kind of situation ( ie house jacking, car jacking.....) all help would be a bonus ( ie family, neighnours, police, good samaritan.....), but I dont count on it.
Very hard too have REAL friends, u can count them on ure fingers (even if u ve lost a couple...).
So a house alarm, no thanks, it might bring police round after I ve killed the ladrones, but before Ive had time to process them, and than ure in a world of $hit....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
That is horrible AE. As you know, we have had our dogs poisoned and one died from would be intruders. The dogs did their jobs and alerted us.

We look at two different robbery scenarios.
1. One being that we are not here.
We have Amado move onto the property when we are out of town; someone is always here.
Our other worker Kalvin stays with his normal day working schedule.
We have formed a relationship with our neighbor so they watch and listen for us as we do for them.
IF we get robbed while we are not here, it's only "stuff".

2. The other is that we are home and they want us here.
This seems to be what we and others have been experiencing more and more with aggressive invasions.
The intruders WANT you home to open the safe, show where you hide your cash and get your cards pin numbers.
This usually does not end well for the home owner.

So we keep adding little layers of security that will sound an alarm to wake us up to protect ourselves. Adding a few simple $20. items adds to our at home security.

Edit: We also have ordered a couple of "bull horns" that are very loud. Also from Amazon and cheap.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My car alarm goes off twice a day, so loud it hurts, sends the dogs crazy.... nobody has ever bothered, too common....
I prepare as if I m on my own in that kind of situation ( ie house jacking, car jacking.....) all help would be a bonus ( ie family, neighnours, police, good samaritan.....), but I dont count on it.
Very hard too have REAL friends, u can count them on ure fingers (even if u ve lost a couple...).
So a house alarm, no thanks, it might bring police round after I ve killed the ladrones, but before Ive had time to process them, and than ure in a world of $hit....

Once they are on your property, they are fair game. Point is to be awake and ready. Let the police cart the bodies away.

Edit: Call your atty before the cops. Let him handle them.

Last edited: