Home Schooling ~ anyone have experience

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I for one agree with the point that it is a very bad idea to raise children in the DR if you have other options. Yes there are exceptions to this that some will point out who turn out well. But those are the exceptions. Why saddle your children with such a situation? This is a place to retire more than anything else, not to raise a family if you have better options.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
To live in this country with children of the school age - IS A VERY BAD LUCK. Highly irresponsible to your kids.
Homeschooling won`t help. We were thinking about it a lot too. For this reason only we decided against living full time here. Although we have access to some diplomatic agencies schools in SD. This option was one of the reasons for our relocation from Sosua to SD area.

Dumbest post of the year so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I for one agree with the point that it is a very bad idea to raise children in the DR if you have other options. Yes there are exceptions to this that some will point out who turn out well. But those are the exceptions. Why saddle your children with such a situation? This is a place to retire more than anything else, not to raise a family if you have better options.

How many kids have you brought up here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

You are a very good and smart person, dear windeguy!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,

We have been considering home school options for our son. I am Canadian wife is Dominican we both agree the schools here private or not are up to par with the educational expectations and more or less act as a filter so your son/daughter is not with people of lower social class.

I'm curious what Dominican law says about this... Can our son be home-schooled and still receive the necessary papers upon course completion/ exams ? does anyone additionally know if Canada would recognize homeschooling in a different country with the respected province ( Ontario ) educational standards and course work?

Thanks

P.S not completely closed to the idea of attending a private school, but from what I observe they are indeed filters and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be getting better education per say.

If you have money and can afford to live in Canada or in America - RUN to Canada or America!! Now! Do not ruin your child`s life!!!
PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Please do not try to upset me, dear Beeza !

in ONE post you blanket stated that anyone who brings and schools their children in this country is an irresponsible parent. IE me. My kids are doing great here. They speak several languages. Have learned to integrate and accept different cultures. They are very obedient and polite. I'm not worried about about their level of schooling. The results are speaking for themselves. They are not lazy and sitting around playing video games like kids from NA or Europe.

I'm paying good money for the best education I can afford for my kids and you call me irresponsible!

Why should I worry if I upset you?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you have money and can afford to live in Canada or in America - RUN to Canada or America!! Now! Do not ruin your child`s life!!!
PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you go away. You have already showed you are clueless when it comes to the different levels of private schools here.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
in ONE post you blanket stated that anyone who brings and schools their children in this country is an irresponsible parent. IE me. My kids are doing great here. They speak several languages. Have learned to integrate and accept different cultures. They are very obedient and polite. I'm not worried about about their level of schooling. The results are speaking for themselves. They are not lazy and sitting around playing video games like kids from NA or Europe.

I'm paying good money for the best education I can afford for my kids and you call me irresponsible!

Why should I worry if I upset you?

No! If you do not have money to live in a First World country and to give your child a First World education and First World future - it is different story. You are doing your best with your limited resources and you are very good man !!!!
But believe it or not! There are some people with money! Who can afford! But brainwashed to raise and educate children here - in the Paradise and World of puta mongers and economy class retirees.
I know we are good friends. And you understand me very well !
And you are good !

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Why don't you go away. You have already showed you are clueless when it comes to the different levels of private schools here.

Bob Saunders! Please do not be rude! We parents are politely discussing education for our children. We are not interested in putas AT ALL !!!!

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Thanks for the feeback everyone - some solid advice here I understand irsav's concern though so having some other opinions are always nice as well. I love this country mostly the weather and food, but there is def concern regarding the chapy culture here that is quite repulsive I guess my fear is and don't take this the wrong way if there is a Dominican reading this, but it's no secret 85% of the whole island is barrio and do not want my son to resemble anying remotley close to that distorted sub-culture image.

Luckily my Dominican wife is from a good family and I don't have to worry about this as much as others potentially. We have the freedom to live in Canada ofcourse and are looking into options to spending the winter months in D.R so the better half of the school year essentially that's why it's a little tricky in this context. We are both in our 20's I have the freeodm to work where I want essentially while receiving good pay so am taking all these options into account (homeschool, private, alternative hybrid? ) so again, thanks for the links and opinions.

Although this may sound a little selfish I invite you to listen more closley, from my experience in life and observations there is way too much to see although Canada is safter, cleaner along with many other things; Canada is also very limiting in what you can do in context of the season I do not enjoy sitting inside for 7 months out of the year and try to trick myself into beleiving winter is fun if I just do outdoor activities; so in a sense I feel like i'm missing out on 60% of life and confined to an artifical environment which is my house here. My son loves outside and is happiest in the summer where he can run and play sports with me - same with my wife I dont think there is any harm in going for the winter months and because I have married a Dominican and learned the real culture super early it drastically improves our saftey and well-being - again, this can be a little restrictive like not going out at night, not walking around the street like we do here, but everything comes at a price; sitting in your backyard in January with a president while having a family BBQ few things can beat that.

Last edited:

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Thanks for the feeback everyone - some solid advice here I understand irsav's concern though so having some other opinions are always nice as well. I love this country mostly the weather and food, but there is def concern regarding the chapy culture here that is quite repulsive I guess my fear is and don't take this the wrong way if there is a Dominican reading this, but it's no secret 85% of the whole island is barrio and do not want my son to resemble anying remotley close to that distorted sub-culture image.

Luckily my Dominican wife is from a good family and I don't have to worry about this as much as others potentially. We have the freedom to live in Canada ofcourse and are looking into options to spending the winter months in D.R so the better half of the school year essentially that's why it's a little tricky in this context. We are both in our 20's I have the freeodm to work where I want essentially while receiving good pay so am taking all these options into account (homeschool, private, alternative hybrid? ) so again, thanks for the links and opinions.

Arete 92 ! We love this country too. Maybe even more than you do. And we had a firm plan to live here happily until the rest of our days. And when the God sent us a new baby - it was a very hard soul searching and evaluation of each and every detail.
And the final count was this - "Either our own comfort or his future success and prosperity."
Either or. It changed ALL our plans completely too. But the fact is - Even after a basic public school in Palm Beach Co he will get better education, better overall development, better success in sport and much better future life in general than after a most expensive "private school" in DR.
I am in the same boat with you. Sharing exactly the same emotions and desires.
But....sigh...

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
If it is not YOUR child but only HER it maybe OK to keep him in the DR with a "homeschooling" and such.
In our case the young child is ours. So we are crazy about his education and else. From our older successful children we know that nothing is more important for a child than the best American education and American sports.. This cannot be disputed at all.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
If it is not YOUR child but only HER it maybe OK to keep him in the DR with a "homeschooling" and such.
In our case the young child is ours. So we are crazy about his education and else. From our older successful children we know that nothing is more important for a child than the best American education and American sports.. This cannot be disputed at all.

Almost everything you post @irsav can easily be disputed, I would not let my child go to US primary school for education unless it were a costly private school. No doubt many other countries has better primary schools than the US

top 20 countries with the best educational systems in the world

This «I hate and disgust DR but still lives here» and «America is the best country ever« attitude makes this forum less valuable in my opinion. Every country has good and bad sides, but if you choose to live in a foreign culture, adapt or shut up.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
gg

Almost everything you post @irsav can easily be disputed, I would not let my child go to US primary school for education unless it were a costly private school. No doubt many other countries has better primary schools than the US

top 20 countries with the best educational systems in the world

This «I hate and disgust DR but still lives here» and «America is the best country ever« attitude makes this forum less valuable in my opinion. Every country has good and bad sides, but if you choose to live in a foreign culture, adapt or shut up.

"many other countries has better primary schools than the US" - I agree 100%. But DR is NOT ONE OF THEM.
I was talking about Third World countries.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've been looking for Spanish curriculums for my kid. I'm not having success. Anyone know of a homeschool curriculum in Spanish for high school age kids? Gracias!

For clarification, a curriculum of schooling in spanish, or a curriculum for learning Spanish?