Hotel Bayahibe

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Well I'm planning a family break in Bayahibe. I know there are a handfull of AI hotels. Anyone have some recommendations or experience specially after the reopening of the hotels now from covid.

Thanks for your help

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
If I can piggyback this thread please, I too am looking for some recommendations for Bayahibe hotels AI or regular. Thanks

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
the new Hilton has good reviews, I have stayed at Catalonia, and I loved, alsow Whyndam and had good experience there.

Last month we stayed at the La Romana Hilton near Bayahibe which was decent. It's all-inclusive which is great. There are different levels of hospitality. For a little more, we stayed at the no-kids section. Worth it - better rooms though ours was showing its age

Best food offered was at the buffet which runs until about 4pm. The French, Italian, and Asian Restaurant dining were lackluster. Nothing to write home about, though the Spanish red house wine for the hotel was surprisingly excellent.

And if you hate onions, you'll end up dieting. It's mixed in and pre-cooked with every entree just about

Reactions: chrisgy and aarhus

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
We go for a few days, so it will be AI. No cooking and cleaning this time. What can you tell me about the other hotels there?
Thanks
Catalonia is nice! I stayed there and the adults-only side. Whala has an amazing ocean front with pools, but there is open sea instead of a beach. Very cheap. Good food as well!

Reactions: chrisgy

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Catalonia is nice! I stayed there and the adults-only side. Whala has an amazing ocean front with pools, but there is open sea instead of a beach. Very cheap. Good food as well!
I enjoyed Whala's salt water pools and the sea water area but IMO the food was nothing to write home about.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have stayed at was is actually called “Hotel Bayahibe” but I know it’s not what you are looking for. It’s in the village and only has breakfast. A bed and breakfast almost although a small hotel. You would have to eat at the restaurants around town but there are some good ones. I have also stayed at Elke in Dominicus but it’s some years ago now. Had great food as it was Italian owned.

Reactions: chrisgy

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have stayed at was is actually called “Hotel Bayahibe” but I know it’s not what you are looking for. It’s in the village and only has breakfast. A bed and breakfast almost although a small hotel. You would have to eat at the restaurants around town but there are some good ones. I have also stayed at Elke in Dominicus but it’s some years ago now. Had great food as it was Italian owned.

I've been online and see they have a pool. What's your opinion on it, can you swim laps?

Also, is it walking distance (<3 km) to the beach?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I've been online and see they have a pool. What's your opinion on it, can you swim laps?

Also, is it walking distance (<3 km) to the beach?
I actually just read some comments on Tripadviser and sounds like it’s still good regarding food. They have a European type breakfast but also Dominican with mangu, salami etc . I don’t think it’s big enough for laps in the pool. The beach you reach by walking past the Wyndham compound. I once over 10 years ago stayed there with an American friend and bought a day pass to Wyndham. It was full of Italians and Brits lol . I stayed there some years ago again and had carpaccio for dinner and it was excellent.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A local is telling me Hostal Magallanes. I looked at it and is right on the water in the Village Bayahibe. I think I will try it when I go.

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
I stayed several times at Hotel Bayahibe and definitely can recommend it: good and clean rooms, cheap, optional breakfast is cheap. Definitely best value for money in the area.
They have a restaurant in annex to the hotel with view on the small bay. You find other dining options within 200-300 m along the waterfront.

The waterfront is on 200m, where it is more for boats and not really for sunbathing. If you want a beach for sunbathing you should walk 600-700 m (to right hand side). Or you can go to the public beach in between the AI hotels (on left of the hotel), but that is a little bit further and I propose to take then a motoconcho or taxi (you cannot get there walking along the beach - because you should pass some AI hotels).

A tip regarding the trip to Isla Saona:
  • The boats leave from the bay next to Hotel Bayahibe (to left of hotel, also some departures in bay to right of hotel)
  • You can book a ticket in hotel for the daytrip to Saona starting early morning
  • If you want to save some money (and speak some Spanish): Go early morning 15-20 mins before departure of boattrip to place where boats leave. And negotiate a discounted trip, there is always place for a few persons extra
  • The boattrip to Saona is one way with speedboat (faster arrival), one way with catamaran. You can decide which boat type to take in morning and for return. My personal preference is to leave in the morning with the speadboat (you are faster at the beach in Saona) and have late afternoon a relaxing return trip with the catamaran.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I stayed several times at Hotel Bayahibe and definitely can recommend it: good and clean rooms, cheap, optional breakfast is cheap. Definitely best value for money in the area.
They have a restaurant in annex to the hotel with view on the small bay. You find other dining options within 200-300 m along the waterfront.

The waterfront is on 200m, where it is more for boats and not really for sunbathing. If you want a beach for sunbathing you should walk 600-700 m (to right hand side). Or you can go to the public beach in between the AI hotels (on left of the hotel), but that is a little bit further and I propose to take then a motoconcho or taxi (you cannot get there walking along the beach - because you should pass some AI hotels).

A tip regarding the trip to Isla Saona:
  • The boats leave from the bay next to Hotel Bayahibe (to left of hotel, also some departures in bay to right of hotel)
  • You can book a ticket in hotel for the daytrip to Saona starting early morning
  • If you want to save some money (and speak some Spanish): Go early morning 15-20 mins before departure of boattrip to place where boats leave. And negotiate a discounted trip, there is always place for a few persons extra
  • The boattrip to Saona is one way with speedboat (faster arrival), one way with catamaran. You can decide which boat type to take in morning and for return. My personal preference is to leave in the morning with the speadboat (you are faster at the beach in Saona) and have late afternoon a relaxing return trip with the catamaran.
This is great info. I would also stay in the village and not in an AI. And Elke which I mentioned is in Dominicus. The village is more charming and there are several good restaurants/cafes. One is called Saona Café on the waterfront.