Hotel Mercure-Colonial Zone

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Finally slept a full night in my own bed after being lost in "the Zone" for the past five days.

Rolled in on Friday afternoon to Hotel Mercure, no problems with the internet booking I'd made; and the front desk was more than accomodating to adding my DR galpal to the res so she could enjoy her stay as well....without questions or stopping to leave ID. (We made a copy that the hotel attached to my papers, she was a registered guest and treated as such....the hotel knows "the difference".)

Hit Mason de Bari for an excellent meal (thanks to the DR1s for all your suggestions) and then walked the streets for a while.

I was in town on business, so my days were pretty well booked with meetings. The hotel Mercure proved to be a fine location to meet for coffee and talk. The hotel and restaurant staff were on target with every request I made.

Many times I walked away from my streetside table/office without paying only to return later to find my waiter and settle my bill....and TIP them for the service. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. As I've said in many posts, that is my MO in the DR and it did not fail me this time.

As a matter of fact, the hotel staff iced the cooler full of bottled water and Presidentes I kept in my room (the mini bar is a tease, needs more beer...), they hunted me down to make sure I got my phone calls when I was on the property, and dare I say, while the room was small...it was spotless.......$63 a night including taxes and a solid breakfast buffet for two, everyday.

Visited Mason de Luis right across the street from Mercure and the owners son remembered me from a previous trip (he loves his Tio Pyratt) My GP and I were treated to a great dinner and the following day an excellent lunch there. (Mero frito....lo mejor!)

Spent two afternoons walking and photographing the ZC, and relaxing at the Cafeteria on Conde. I was well received there by Alfonso who also remembered me from my previous adventures and as well, he shared time telling stories of how he fared with DEAN and the rains...

My GP and I treated clients to TWO great meals in La Atarazana, one at Angelinas(?) a pizza place and another at Meson La Quintana. The latter proved to be too much food to eat and very affordably priced (for those who are budget minded-affordable is under $60US for two including drinks and a tip) She had the Meson waitress box up the leftovers with plastic forks and extra bread and asked me to give the meal to someone on the street we knew who was looking for one.....her kindness sealed a deal on a nice contract for me....

The following evening we did "sushi" at a place that offered two for one drinks....which proved to be my undoing....Mi DR mami no les gusta la pyratta cuando el tome mucho Brugal....ja ja ja

The hotel had free entertainment, an impromptu comedy show made up of a cast of "characters"......... "gringos" haggling as they tried to make "love connections" early in the evenings with ladies far beyond their league.

In one instance, we witnessed a lady show up with an overnight bag, apparantly on a pre-booked date....she left because her date would not pay the agreed rate. (El cheapo gringo) Later that night, the same guy found love again, yet was waylaid trying to convince the night clerk and hotel security to allow him to bring in the hood rat who had a "copy of her cedula".....ah yes, LOVE Dominican Style.

It was wonderful to see my friends, and make the biz connections I've been working so hard to establish....and to realize that my mantra of treating people how I like to be treated works....even in the DR.....I'll be back again soon.....long before I run out of coffee.......I brought back 10 pounds with me this time!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Mercure-Colonial Zone

Finally slept a full night in my own bed after being lost in "the Zone" for the past five days.

Rolled in on Friday afternoon to Hotel Mercure, no problems with the internet booking I'd made; and the front desk was more than accomodating to adding my DR galpal to the res so she could enjoy her stay as well....without questions or stopping to leave ID. (We made a copy that the hotel attached to my papers, she was a registered guest and treated as such....the hotel knows "the difference".)

Hit Mason de Bari for an excellent meal (thanks to the DR1s for all your suggestions) and then walked the streets for a while.

I was in town on business, so my days were pretty well booked with meetings. The hotel Mercure proved to be a fine location to meet for coffee and talk. The hotel and restaurant staff were on target with every request I made.

Many times I walked away from my streetside table/office without paying only to return later to find my waiter and settle my bill....and TIP them for the service. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. As I've said in many posts, that is my MO in the DR and it did not fail me this time.

As a matter of fact, the hotel staff iced the cooler full of bottled water and Presidentes I kept in my room (the mini bar is a tease, needs more beer...), they hunted me down to make sure I got my phone calls when I was on the property, and dare I say, while the room was small...it was spotless.......$63 a night including taxes and a solid breakfast buffet for two, everyday.

Visited Mason de Luis right across the street from Mercure and the owners son remembered me from a previous trip (he loves his Tio Pyratt) My GP and I were treated to a great dinner and the following day an excellent lunch there. (Mero frito....lo mejor!)

Spent two afternoons walking and photographing the ZC, and relaxing at the Cafeteria on Conde. I was well received there by Alfonso who also remembered me from my previous adventures and as well, he shared time telling stories of how he fared with DEAN and the rains...

My GP and I treated clients to TWO great meals in La Atarazana, one at Angelinas(?) a pizza place and another at Meson La Quintana. The latter proved to be too much food to eat and very affordably priced (for those who are budget minded-affordable is under $60US for two including drinks and a tip) She had the Meson waitress box up the leftovers with plastic forks and extra bread and asked me to give the meal to someone on the street we knew who was looking for one.....her kindness sealed a deal on a nice contract for me....

The following evening we did "sushi" at a place that offered two for one drinks....which proved to be my undoing....Mi DR mami no les gusta la pyratta cuando el tome mucho Brugal....ja ja ja

The hotel had free entertainment, an impromptu comedy show made up of a cast of "characters"......... "gringos" haggling as they tried to make "love connections" early in the evenings with ladies far beyond their league.

In one instance, we witnessed a lady show up with an overnight bag, apparantly on a pre-booked date....she left because her date would not pay the agreed rate. (El cheapo gringo) Later that night, the same guy found love again, yet was waylaid trying to convince the night clerk and hotel security to allow him to bring in the hood rat who had a "copy of her cedula".....ah yes, LOVE Dominican Style.

It was wonderful to see my friends, and make the biz connections I've been working so hard to establish....and to realize that my mantra of treating people how I like to be treated works....even in the DR.....I'll be back again soon.....long before I run out of coffee.......I brought back 10 pounds with me this time!

Glad you had a great time here.I live behind the Hotel Mercure and know what you are talking about the comedy show.I sit on El Conde a bit and watch the gringos at work.Its free,no cover,and usually great entertainment.Also you liked Meson Bari
which is my favorite restaurant.Meson Luis has the best pork chops around.
Bob

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
great report!!!! THe restaurant recommendations are perfect. I never know where to eat when in the ZC and end up getting chineese from that cheepo place (not too bad when traveling on a budget and you dont know where to go).

I tried to stay at mercure as a walk in in may but they wanted about 100 usd for a walk in...i have heard you can get very good rates via intenet...and even for less than what the OP paid.

Sounds like the OP had a great trip! thanks again for the report!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Just to add a bit. The food at Mercure was not bad either, just priced a little higher than it should be, but that's hotels for you. We got rained on one evening, and I won't have my GP walk in the rain so we opted to "stay in". The calmari plate was good, she had a salad that was fine.

Here's a quick observation....there are pigeons everywhere in the ZC. In front of every place I ate as a matter of fact (Cafeteria on Conde etc)

Why is it when you walk past El Rey de Pollo or KFC, there are no pigeons on the ground? They hang out on the electrical wires (skittish about it too). I asked my GP and all she said was "tu eres malo Gringo".......meaning I think "bad". I was thinking the "bird" was fresh!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I tried to stay at mercure as a walk in in may but they wanted about 100 usd for a walk in...i have heard you can get very good rates via intenet...and even for less than what the OP paid.

To get the cheapest rate at Hotel Mercure you need to book online and pay in advance with a no refund policy.

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
Pyratt- I have stayed at the Mercure on 7 occasions and they have never failed to insure good stays. The staff is courteous. They even made sure we had a secure place to store some bulky luggage that we always carry on group trips so we didn't have to clutter our individual rooms. I am also a huge fan of M. de Bari and M. de Luis. Luis' kid always cracks me up. I think he probably has many Tios that are regulars to the DR. And you are right about the free entertainment:! Ay Mis Dios! I'd actually pay a few pesos for the show.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Sounds like you had a good time. Nice report. - Thanks for the info that you and I talked about. You are a life saver!!!

dakra

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like you had a good time. Nice report. - Thanks for the info that you and I talked about. You are a life saver!!!

dakra

No problem dakra....keeping folks safe and prepared, it's my business. I'm headed back the first of next month and again at the end of the year.

By the way, did you requisition that case of food? ha ha ha

If you ever need anything else don't hesitate to contact me.