Hotel Nuevo Suiza in Constanza

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Has Anybody here or up near Constanza/Jarabacoa way have any experience with the Hotel Nuevo Suiza?

It used to be a pretty nice place, then went out of business and was rejuvenated and reopened just in time for the pandemic.

There's nothing on Tripadvisor so I suspect they're not doing well.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Don't everyone chime in at once... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I made contact with them and they are open for business. I hope to get up there soon.

It is very 60's looking and was renovated some years back. It still looks like something out of the Trujillo years.

The architecture from that time is something I really enjoy checking out. Many of the govt. buildings in use today are from that era and have a very majestic look and feel to them.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Don't everyone chime in at once... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I made contact with them and they are open for business. I hope to get up there soon.

It is very 60's looking and was renovated some years back. It still looks like something out of the Trujillo years.

The architecture from that time is something I really enjoy checking out. Many of the govt. buildings in use today are from that era and have a very majestic look and feel to them.
Please report back how you liked it. Location, rooms, service, breakfast etc..,

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Please report back how you liked it. Location, rooms, service, breakfast etc..,

Thank you John, I'll do that. I'm suspecting it may be the same type of setup Camp David Ranch.

That's another place I want to get back to. I haven't been there in probably 10 years.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Thank you John, I'll do that. I'm suspecting it may be the same type of setup Camp David Ranch.

That's another place I want to get back to. I haven't been there in probably 10 years.
At Camp David Ranch I especially like the restaurant and the amazing view. The rooms less so. But may have changed. Also over ten years ago for me.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
At Camp David Ranch I especially like the restaurant and the amazing view. The rooms less so. But may have changed. Also over ten years ago for me.

The only rooms I've used there are 5,6 and 7. Those are the really big ones with the balcony overlooking the valley just like the restaurant.

The new rooms didn't impress me either.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The only rooms I've used there are 5,6 and 7. Those are the really big ones with the balcony overlooking the valley just like the restaurant.

The new rooms didn't impress me either.
So you are the expert on boutique business hotels in the DR ? Like the Pequeño Suizo in Boca Chica. In Bella Vista in Santo Domingo I would say Hotel BQ on Av. Sarasota.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So you are the expert on boutique business hotels in the DR ? Like the Pequeño Suizo in Boca Chica. In Bella Vista in Santo Domingo I would say Hotel BQ on Av. Sarasota.
Expert? Hardly, John. I seldom use them.

But I do know Stefano (the owner of Pequeno Suizo) since the mid-eighties when I lived in Boca Chica, I've spent more than a few nights at Camp David, and I've visited friends who were staying at the Delta.

I've stayed at other hotels in Constanza but never at Nuevo Suizo. Gotta check that one off the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: aarhus

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So, I finally drove up on Wednesday to spend a couple of nights at the Neuvo Suizo. It took me 2 and a half hours from SD.

This hotel is huge! Originally built in 1954, it has an incredibly interesting history.
After years of being abandoned, businessman Fermin Baez decided to rent it and open it again.

Fermin is spending most of his time there for now throughout the renovation and is a very quiet but friendly guy who made me feel at home as soon as I arrived.

When he rented it, it was nothing but a shell; it had been vandalized and stripped of everything of value.

Fermin has been working on it now for over 3 years and is doing an impressive job, to say the least. He has had to paint the whole thing, replace all of the floor coverings, replace all of the woodwork, windows, doors, fixtures, the list is endless. I think he said he's at USD$3 million so far and counting.

It has 85 rooms, (Including Trujillo's mahogany suite with secret entrance), A disco, pool, meeting rooms, dining room, patio, outside bar.
The place is just monstrous - I can't imagine how much he spent on paint alone.

Clipboard01.jpg

From the rooms on the front, you can see almost the entire town of Constanza.

IMG-20201225-084139.jpg

The temperature got down to about 40 degrees both nights I was there.

We had a suite with a balcony overlooking the forest which was 3500 pesos per night.

Very comfortable, instant hot water, super comfy bed.

The silence is deafening. Zero Noise. No music, no motorcycles, no traffic, no nothing. Wifi only in the restaurant.

It was eery quiet-something I haven't experienced in a long time.

ratings:
Cleanliness 8/10 Hard to be clean with the construction but we saw employees cleaning constantly. The room was spotless
Staff 7/10 All very friendly and eager to please
Food 6/10 Basic Dominican fare with low, low prices. But nobody goes there for the food, it's for overnighters.

Last edited: