Hotels & Resorts Limiting Dominicans Reservations

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
KC. I spent many winters at POP Village resort in Playa Dorada. An older resort but the rooms were clean and the food was good. Every weekend DR families would arrive by the bus load. Most were courteous, some weren’t. The kids had free run of the pool areas with mothers close by to watch them. The basketball court and checkers area was a beehive of activity and noise. The main dining room area was interesting on the weekends The usual courtesy of lining up quickly disappeared when the families appeared en masse. It didn’t bother me. I adapted my schedule, always found a quiet corner and was served quickly by the dining staff I knew well. The noise level was often deafening but I got used to it. The food left from over loaded kids plates was a bit upsetting but kids will be kids. Behaviour in the ala cartes was very different. Quiet, respectful, kids on their best behaviour and everyone well dressed.

Some weekends large bus loads of people would arrive for an evangelistic gathering. Instead of carping about the noise and the crowds, I’d sneak in, sit in the back, and try to get a sense of what the preacher was saying. Free entertainment and lots of fun. One time, I ended up playing guitar and singing songs with a few of young women who saw me as a possible convert. Good luck with that! I was trying to bring them over to the dark side.

I always had a villa suite with two large front and rear balconies. if someone wanted to borrow a beach lounger from my balcony, they would always ask. If beer was in a cooler at the party spot at the rear of my suite, I was always offered one anytime I joined them. If I wasn’t around, one of the loungers might disappear for a few hours but it would always be returned. I’ve left things on the table on my front balcony and nothing went missing.

It’s the same for my stays in the campo. The locals I spent time with were hard working respectful families. I attended weddings there and was treated like one of the family. The bars were noisy with locals and gringos but that was expected. No worse than the POP Malacon on a Friday night. Everyone blended together nicely.

You can’t broad brush everyone as crass and disrespectful. An open mind, a sharp eye and friendly disposition has given me exposure to the best the DR has to offer. The good far outweighs the bad and I quickly forget the bad and accept it as a lesson learned.
What ai resort do you stay in ?

Reactions: keepcoming

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Apparently they are taking the bad behavior seriously as the PN are searching every male entering Sosua beach this weekend - looking for weapons is my guess

• Wow
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Apparently they are taking the bad behavior seriously as the PN are searching every male entering Sosua beach this weekend - looking for weapons is my guess
Well a year doesn't go by where someone doesn't fire off a few rounds after a day of Brugal. Years ago I was in the Boca of La Entrada Cabrera and it was packed like sardines the entire week. Everyone had a booze tent. Like a Saturday or Sunday some military decided to fire a few M16 rounds into the air after he had been taking foams cups on the down low. The place cleared out like a tsunami hitting an ant hill

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
What ai resort do you stay in ?
Puerto Plata Village in Playa Dorada now sold and being converted to condos. Renamed Green One. That have a website. I had a sweet deal there for almost 15 years. I’ll see if I can negotiate a similar deal with someone like Blue Bay. I also have access to an apartment in POP for $300 a month and I stay at the Luperon Marina for $30 plus breakfast daily. Never stuck for a pillow and a meal.

Reactions: thompstr

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Well a year doesn't go by where someone doesn't fire off a few rounds after a day of Brugal. Years ago I was in the Boca of La Entrada Cabrera and it was packed like sardines the entire week. Everyone had a booze tent. Like a Saturday or Sunday some military decided to fire a few M16 rounds into the air after he had been taking foams cups on the down low. The place cleared out like a tsunami hitting an ant hill
Don’t care what you say, ya gotta love the DR and its extreme's.

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Eqh kHz 869er4n. .

Wow the nuns in catholic school didnt smack my knuckles with a ruler as much as nurse Ratchet has in this reform school lol. Must be a gnawing cavity or a personal vandetta ?
Anyway friends its been a short and sweet and enjoyable ride but Im too rebellious at heart to under faacist constraints and censorship so its time to bid farewell .

Thanks for letting me be a guest on the late nite show and God bless !!

Hasta luego mi amigo. Safe travels. I will
miss deciphering your interesting posts. Sometimes a challenge but always entertaining.

Reactions: william webster

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Don’t care what you say, ya gotta love the DR and its extreme's.
I was at the famous Barrica on the Venezuela one night years back, two dudes get into it at the bar while waiting to be served. Out come the pistols. People were scrambling into the streets knocking others over to get away. I returned for my just purchased bottle of Chivas amongst a gun fight. Priority check.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NanSan

Yes, they will impound motos...maybe not for a helmet but missing papers, etc
It wasn't made clear to me..... but enforcement is stringent today !

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Oct 19, 2015
canada
I am Canadian, I have been to many resorts for the weekend with my wife. Dominican go on the weekend all inclusive. I have noticed MANY times Dominicans filling there plates with cold meat, chicken, bread, whatever the can get, they do not eat it, they take it home, they also get glasses of rum and put it in a bottle for home. They always butt in the line, no respect for the tourists

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am Canadian, I have been to many resorts for the weekend with my wife. Dominican go on the weekend all inclusive. I have noticed MANY times Dominicans filling there plates with cold meat, chicken, bread, whatever the can get, they do not eat it, they take it home, they also get glasses of rum and put it in a bottle for home. They always butt in the line, no respect for the tourists
That would be some Dominicans. We take a group of teachers, their spouses and children , usually around 60-70 people and none of the people we go with (all Dominicans) do any of that.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are you talking about buffets?

If you have already stood in line and are going back for seconds, do you think a person should have to stand in line again?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
That would be some Dominicans. We take a group of teachers, their spouses and children , usually around 60-70 people and none of the people we go with (all Dominicans) do any of that.
99.9 bob .. you are special to know the 00.1 ....

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Are you talking about buffets?

If you have already stood in line and are going back for seconds, do you think a person should have to stand in line again?
Buffets or troughs are disgusting and designed for barn animals

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones