Hotels & Resorts Limiting Dominicans Reservations

Jan 9, 2004
Everyone's price point is different for different reasons. I know many that go to Punta Cana and their main concern is being able to spend time at the beach/pool. The room, food, etc.. is a bonus so they are not fussy about it. On the other hand, I know many that go that want the opposite, great room, food, etc.. Punta Cana definitely offers a variety for different price points. It is all about what you are looking for in a vacation. We have stayed at many of the resorts, and I can honestly say we have never experienced no electricity, A/C, or lack of water. We have even been there during storms and there was never a problem.

And that is the beauty of PC, there are enough options to cater to most everyone’s wants and needs. Circling back, you are far less likely to encounter the local weekend eat and drink to oblivion crowd at the higher price point hotels and AI’s.

Certainly, I have never experienced the local weekend trade at either Hyatt Ziva or Tortuga Bay.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I was having this conversation with a friend last week. The big issue with charging these prices is that I've never seen service which you'd expect to get at those types of prices in Dominican Republic. What this country does well is the friendly, chatty, "hola mi amor" type of service. But the minute you try to take that up a notch and get into the chocolate-on-the-pillow type of service I just don't think that Dominicans culturally lean towards that. Dominicans are never great problem-solvers, in fact they seem to positively love it when there's a "bobo" and most of the time nobody does anything to solve it because "no es mi culpa" or "no se que hacer".
I've had some really good service in this country. Unfortunately it seems to be the exception, but it does exist. And there are Dominicans in the hospitality sector that are willing to go above and beyond.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Oh, I have seen plenty of ignorant rude Dominicans in resorts, but then again I have met plenty of obnoxious Brits and Americans, and Europeans as well.
Well in Punta Cana which lends itself to ignorant rude Dominicans, Americans and Brits. Low class resorts/hotels attract these kind of brutish, social misfits. Hey they were never taught.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The DR's reputation is low cost vacations........ what type of travelers do you expect???
so true! Feeding people out of a trough and encouraging them to drink until they pass out or get into a fist fight is not going to attract the Bon Vivantes of the world.

Reactions: Nadie21

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, we spent two nights and threes in a resort in playa dorado , probably about 60 percent full. Decent food, resort very clean, no loud obnoxious guests from any country that we observed. Lots of Dominicans from the USA.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone stay at Sunscape Puerta PLata in September? If so, what are your thoughts/experience been on the hotel/guests?
That was Sunscape that we stayed at. The service was good, all the wait staff speak English, some fluently. Entertainment was the usual you get at a resort. The food was decent though not spectacular. Beach was cleaned every morning of seaweed and the beach is soft sand out to above your head, no coral. The resort itself is very clean , as are the rooms, but it could use some fresh paint. Great air-conditioning in our room and lots of hot water. bathroom small but shower big.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
That was Sunscape that we stayed at. The service was good, all the wait staff speak English, some fluently. Entertainment was the usual you get at a resort. The food was decent though not spectacular. Beach was cleaned every morning of seaweed and the beach is soft sand out to above your head, no coral. The resort itself is very clean , as are the rooms, but it could use some fresh paint. Great air-conditioning in our room and lots of hot water. bathroom small but shower big.
Was there much seaweed in Puerto Plata?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Well in Punta Cana which lends itself to ignorant rude Dominicans, Americans and Brits. Low class resorts/hotels attract these kind of brutish, social misfits. Hey they were never taught.
Never seen any of that in PC at any resort.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
No rude Canadians on the list. Good. They are always so happy. Why is that.
When I was in the biz (several years ago, but over a span of many years) in Punta Cana, you could have asked any guy or gal on the animation teams and they would have told you that they LOVED the Canadians. (especially those from Quebec)
They came to party and were pretty much always receptive to and appreciative of the efforts of the activities teams to keep them entertained.
In other words they did not have a poker stuck up the whazoo, if you know what I mean.
Hey.
Nobody likes a non-receptive audience.
Ask me about it...
I'll tell you a little story about my efforts to get the gardeners on board with the planting boxes thread. (lol.) o_O

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas