House painting costs?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hola, dear DR1 forum!

My husband and I purchased a small house in Las Terrenas and I'd appreciate any help with the following (I also posted these questions on the Northeast forum):

1. We need a couple rooms painted-- Does anyone know the average cost for this?-Do painters charge by the hour or by the job?

2. We need someone to build/create an L-shaped sofa out of concrete for the living area--Any ideas again on how much this would cost?

3. Can anyone recommend a painter and/or concrete person in Las Terrenas?

3. Can basic furniture (wicker chairs, tables, etc) be purchased in Las Terrenas or will we need to travel to larger towns for these?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Susan

J

John Evans

sorry I cant answer any of your questions...but id recommend buying plenty of plastic sheets to put down...the paint here is very drippy and splashes everywhere....rollers give a nice fine spray onto most surfaces...cover all windows...price could be almost anything I think depending on the reputation of the painter

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If airlines sold paint

Customer: Hi, how much is your paint?
Clerk: Well, sir, that all depends.
CU. Depends on what?
CL: Actually, a lot of things.
CU: How about giving me an average price?
CL: Wow, that's too hard a question. The lowest price is $9 a litre, and we have 150 different prices up to $200 a litre.
CU: What's the difference in the paint?
CL: Oh, there isn't any difference, it's all the same paint.
CU: Well, then, I'd like some of that $9 paint.
CL: Well, first I need to ask you a few questions. When do you intend to use it?
CU: I want to paint tomorrow, on my day off.
CL: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $200 paint.
CU: What? When would I have to paint in order to get the $9 version?
CL: That would be in three weeks, but you will also have to agree to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting until at least Sunday.
CU: You've got to be kidding!
CL: Sir, we don't kid around here. Of course I'll have to check to see if we have any of that paint available before I can sell it to you.
CU: What do you mean, check to see if you can sell it to me? You have shelves full of the stuff, I can see it right there.
CL: Just because you can see it doesn't mean that we have it. It may be the same paint, but we sell only a certain number of litres on any given weekend. Oh, and by the way, the price just went up to $12.
CU: You mean the price went up while we were talking?
CL: Yes, sir. You see, we change prices and rules thousands of times a day, and since you haven't actually walked out of the store with your paint yet, we just decided to change. Unless you want the same thing to happen again, I would suggest that you get on with your purchase. How many litres do you want?
CU: I don't know exactly. Maybe five litres. Maybe I should buy six litres just to make sure I have enough.
CL: Oh, no, sir, you can't do that. If you buy the paint and then don't use it, you will be liable for penalties and possible confiscation of the paint you already have.
CU: What?
CL: That's right. We can sell you enough paint to do your kitchen, bathroom, hall and north bedroom, but if you stop painting before you do the bedroom, you will be in violation of our tariffs.
CU: But what does it matter to you whether I use all the paint? I already paid for it!
CL: Sir, there's no point in getting upset; that's just the way it is. We make plans based upon the idea that you will use all the paint, and when you don't, it just causes us all sorts of problems.
CU: This is crazy! I suppose something terrible will happen if I don't keep painting until after Saturday night?
CL: Yes, sir, it will.
CU: Well, that does it! I'm going somewhere else to buy my paint.
CL: That won't do you any good, sir. We all have the same rules. And thanks for painting with our airline.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
I think a painter charges around $500 to $1000 pesos a day. You should try to do it yourself and save yourself some trouble. If you make a mistake you will loose just the time and some paint, but if the painter does a bad job which is likely he will - you will loose a lot more than just paint. Good luck

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Painting

I have a house in Cabarete and just had a couple of rooms painted. The cost was $14,000 pesos which included a large bedroom, dressing room and living room. The ceilings are also very high. This cost included the paint as well. We used Sherwin Williams paint which is a bit more expensive but it is a much better quality and covers with less coats. Also, I am able to pick the colours from home (Canada) and just give the painter the colour number and I know it is the same. This is the second set of rooms we have had painted and the colours are bang on.

Hope this helps.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
These are both VERY helpful responses--thank you!
I'm trying to get the rooms painted before we go down in early August because we're being videotaped for a TV show called "House Hunters International"- (otherwise we'd wait and paint ourselves! :)

Kdeer: Would your painter consider going to Las Terrenas, or does he know wanyone there?

I just want the walls painted a basic white and I like the idea of using a known brand like Sherwin Williamsm because I want a pretty specific trim color-

Thanks again Bayx and Kdeer!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Oops!

I just did the math and it looks like $14,000 RD is $400 US?

I'm afraid we won't be able to afford your painter, Kdeer :(

Bayx's estimate of $1000RD is better for our budget!
Thanks again!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I just did the math and it looks like $14,000 RD is $400 US?

I'm afraid we won't be able to afford your painter, Kdeer :(

Bayx's estimate of $1000RD is better for our budget!
Thanks again!

I think you are comparing apples with oranges susan77. The 1000RD was for labor only for 1 day, while the 14,000RD was for a complete job, including high quality paint, which I believe you will find to be quite expensive in the DR.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Cost of paint?

I think you are comparing apples with oranges

I totally agree-- I need to separate labor from materials---

Do you know the average cost of a gallon of mid-level-quality paint?

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
One more question a bit off the topic but i need to have metal bars installed on the windows of a three bedroom house does anyone know what i should expect to pay.Reason being i have someone that's responsible for making sure all goes well with the construction and taking care of the finanical aspects. However i feel like he's telling me a higher cost that what is being charged and pocketing the rest of the money.Any imput would help tremenodusly.Thanks.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Sherwin Williams Paint

The Sherwin Williams paint cost about $35-$40 gallon but it is good quality and takes less to cover the walls. When I had my place painted I needed 8 gallons of paint so approximately $275 was paint cost so the labour isn't bad.

As for putting bars on windows...we just did that too. The cost for 8 windows, 2 smaller bathroom windows, a front door gate and the larger double gate for the patio doors was just under $1500 US. The house is also a 3 bedroom

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
hi Susan,

if you are being taped for house hunters does that mean you are selling the las terrenas house?

i really like that show...just curious how you were chosen to take part in it!

Sangria

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
if you are being taped for house hunters does that mean you are selling the las terrenas house?

No-- We're going to be on HHI BECAUSE of our LT house! Our realtor, Danny with DRParadise.com put us in touch with the segment producer--

So... the best paint will run $35-40? --thanks, kdeer--

We need to paint the house DURING the four days the TV cameras will be shooting the episode, so I need to line everything up now-

Kdeer: do you presently live in the DR or are you still in Canada?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hey Sangria-- do you watch HH in the states?
I almost fell off the chair when Danny said he could get us on and it's actually happening!
They're taping "Act 1' this Friday at our house in Kentucky-- I need to start cleaning!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I'm in Canada but watch it often....although I can't remember off the top of my head which network its on!

Will they pretend to show you some other properties in the DR and then settle on the one you actually bought?

I am really excited for you!!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'll PM you with more details (because this will bore anyone not familiar with the show!)