How are the disabled treated in the D.R.?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will be just fine!!!!!!
I don't suggest carrying your valuables in a bag draped over the back of your chair, but that's all.
Dominicans WILL, pick up you, and your 250 pound chair if you can't get over, or around an obstacle.
12 guys once lifted my van off a cement curb where I had gotten stuck!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
WheeledOne should have no problem because he weighs only 80 lbs??? or was that a typo?
light as a feather, no difficulties if he has to be carried.

Jeez, he weighs less than my 9 year old grandson.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
WheeledOne should have no problem because he weighs only 80 lbs??? or was that a typo?
light as a feather, no difficulties if he has to be carried.

Jeez, he weighs less than my 9 year old grandson.

Definitely not a typo. I used to weigh 70 lbs., and after a year of struggling to gain weight I'm up to 80-85 lbs. My doctor wants me at 90-100, for my body size, but I'm not thinking that's gonna happen. ;)

i think 80 lb is less than kum kuntdashian's ass cheeks alone. i iz jealous.

Bahaha. All that ass would squish lil' old me. ;)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Im not suggesting you might want to get into kitesurfing…but i witnessed the local riders at Kite Beach helping a wheelchair-bound guy learn to kite in a specially adapted piece of kit.
It was actually quite moving to see how much time and effort they were prepared to put in to help this guy do something quite extraordinary!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Definitely not a typo. I used to weigh 70 lbs., and after a year of struggling to gain weight I'm up to 80-85 lbs. My doctor wants me at 90-100, for my body size, but I'm not thinking that's gonna happen. ;)

Bahaha. All that ass would squish lil' old me. ;)

Just wait until you go and live in the DR. Your novia will fatten you up :) with Dominican food which
is quite starchy, so I'm quite sure you will gain some more weight.;)

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Dominicans will treat you with respect and offer assistance if needed.
My cousin visits the DR quite often and he is in a wheelchair.
He drives there with a removable mechanical hand control.
The only limitations I foresee is narrow sidewalks and the lack of ramps or elevators.
I'm sure people will help you out in those situations.

Awesome. That was my experience in Sosua, but when I read the beginning of this thread I started having second thoughts. Hahaha.

You will be just fine!!!!!!
I don't suggest carrying your valuables in a bag draped over the back of your chair, but that's all.
Dominicans WILL, pick up you, and your 250 pound chair if you can't get over, or around an obstacle.
12 guys once lifted my van off a cement curb where I had gotten stuck!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Fantastic. I will stay smart, but not be too paranoid.

I had no shortage of offers for help on my previous trip. It was funny, the taxi driver told my brother, "You and I will just lift it." My brother was like, "It's super heavy." The taxi driver was like, "I'm strong, we got this."

When they went to lift it, laden with its two big ass gel-cel marine batteries, his eyes got huge and he was like, "Dios m?o!" When it was time to unload at our destination, he got 3 more guys to help. He learned quickly, haha. ;)

Thanks everyone!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
This is why I posted as I did. Others have done it and had a good time for a few years and I don't know why the person left or what. Eddy would remember the guy that I talked about.

I talked about the street rolling and I agree with the manual wheels rather then the electric.

A "strong personal aid" as I suggested also.

Has been done before.

I believe your talking about Juan Claud. The french guy who used to stay at the Romanoff. Yes we would and still does party hard. In fact I had drinks with him last month. He told me that his biggest complain is that people try to help him. He would rather wheel himself. He said the rooms in the Romanoff where good for him.
I wish the o.p. all best and I think with the right ground work and connections you can accomplish what you want to do in the D.R.

drescape24