How can I keep my home theater speakers from being decorative objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
as i have said, many times, audio is art, as much as science. there are certain guys out there who have come up with things that defy logic, and they work. i would never scoff at Bill Ying..

Audio is NOT art.
Music is personal preference.
Is Bill Ying also a chiropractor!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think Bill Ying is pulling your yang.

From that article:

The Men of Mook, Dr. Yu-Wah Tan, Bill Ying and Andy Chow, are no strangers to controversy in the audio world. Their resonance control devices, such as the wooden Mpingo disks, are claimed to improve the sound of your stereo system simply by placing them on your audio components.

You have to be kidding me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Audio is NOT art.

Bill Ying and his cohorts appear to be more like televangelist religious nut jobs in their vapid high end audio domain , but I do appreciate the allusion to chiropractors as well. Mpingo disks, Oxy-free cables, ground wires of a certain length, etc, etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In 1991 I first experienced a tweak that had no earthly reason to work, yet it apparently did. A company called Shun Mook had a demo at CES where they placed and then removed their Mpingo Discs on top of a CD player and I heard a difference. I wasn't the only one to hear changes. All the audio journalists who experienced this unique demo heard the same sonic improvements when the discs were placed on the Magnavox CD player. - See more at: Getting Shun-Mooked - Audiophile Review

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Audio is NOT art.

you are free to your opinions. i have been around this thing for over 50 years, and i have heard the best there is, and met some of the greatest minds. we all have a different approach to what we look for in audio. i want my stereo to sound just like the music sounded when it was played. there is art to doing that. only true artists can get their systems to sound really natural. i have heard the multi thousand dollar Krell KSA500 driving the multi thousand dollar Soundlab A3 speakers, and it sounded nowhere near as nice as when i heard a small two way speaker built by Herb Reichert, driven by tiny amplifier built by Don Garber, using a single number 45 tube. anyone can build power; only few can build soul.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They got Shun-Mooked -- Duped into thinking they heard a difference

In 1991 I first experienced a tweak that had no earthly reason to work, yet it apparently did. A company called Shun Mook had a demo at CES where they placed and then removed their Mpingo Discs on top of a CD player and I heard a difference. I wasn't the only one to hear changes. All the audio journalists who experienced this unique demo heard the same sonic improvements when the discs were placed on the Magnavox CD player. - See more at: Getting Shun-Mooked - Audiophile Review

Thank you. That proves my point about such false claims and does it nicely. This was a case of mass hysteria or as the writer calls it, they were "Shun-Mooked" or fooled by snake oil salesman at the conference.

I should mention that I have a set of Mpingo dics, and during the twenty years that have passed since that demo, I have been totally unable to hear any differences when they were installed anywhere in my own home stereo systems.

So what gives? Are the home systems I've set up over the last two decades lacking in sufficient resolving power to reveal the discs' effects? I don't think so. But every time I've tried the discs they've proved completely ineffective.

I suspect that all the folks who participated in the original CES demo were "Shun Mooked." This is a psycho-acoustic phenomenon that occurs when you are in a room full of people who believe something WILL make a difference - and it DOES! It's akin to being the only non-committed voter in a room full of party faithful - by the end of the night you will be "a believer." The psychic force of all those committed brains makes you hear exactly what they are hearing. Or not hearing.
- See more at: Getting Shun-Mooked - Audiophile Review

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thank you. That proves my point about such false claims and does it nicely. This was a case of mass hysteria or as the writer calls it, they were "Shun-Mooked" or fooled by snake oil salesman at the conference.

- See more at: Getting Shun-Mooked - Audiophile Review

audio is, as i say, a matter of personal preferences. it is not science. there are reviewers who have stated that all amplifiers sound the same, and that there is no difference between the best amps and a Japanese 300 dollar receiver. they are free to hold that opinion.

i once walked into a small eatery in the East Village, and there was some music being played. i asked the owner if the system was being driven by a McIntosh amplifier. he asked me how i figured it out. i told him that i had heard Macs for most of my life, and i could tell. it was a 275, and there was no mistaking the sound. yet the scientific wing of audio will tell you that all amps sound the same.

i used to rent speaker cables on trial from the Cable Company, 3 per week. i cannot count the amount i have heard. there are some that i would not even consider buying. i hated how they sounded. i hate Audioquest. Monster. MIT. Wireworld. they all have a sound that fatigues me. on the other hand, i love Nordost, and Goertz. and i can surely tell the difference when i hear them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
audio is, as i say, a matter of personal preferences. it is not science. there are reviewers who have stated that all amplifiers sound the same, and that there is no difference between the best amps and a Japanese 300 dollar receiver. they are free to hold that opinion.

i once walked into a small eatery in the East Village, and there was some music being played. i asked the owner if the system was being driven by a McIntosh amplifier. he asked me how i figured it out. i told him that i had heard Macs for most of my life, and i could tell. it was a 275, and there was no mistaking the sound. yet the scientific wing of audio will tell you that all amps sound the same.

i used to rent speaker cables on trial from the Cable Company, 3 per week. i cannot count the amount i have heard. there are some that i would not even consider buying. i hated how they sounded. i hate Audioquest. Monster. MIT. Wireworld. they all have a sound that fatigues me. on the other hand, i love Nordost, and Goertz. and i can surely tell the difference when i hear them.

Coming from the world of live music performance and sound re-enforcement, I well understand the difference that different amplifiers can make. Guitarists crave the even harmonic distortion of vacuum tubes. I prefer the cleanest possible sound reproduction provided by solid state amps as a keyboard player and use them as main PA and monitor amps.

The new class D amps are great for bass players and the founder of Quilter Labs now says he has a Class D guitar amp that guitarists will actually love. Quilter is the amplifier genius behind QSC, used by many movie theaters and his new company, Quilter Labs.
(QSC Home Quilter Laboratories)

There is a guitar player who claims to be able to tell the difference in how his effects pedals sound when powered by different 9 volt battery brands. That guy has "Shun-Mooked" himself.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Coming from the world of live music performance and sound re-enforcement, I well understand the difference that different amplifiers can make. Guitarists crave the even harmonic distortion of vacuum tubes. I prefer the cleanest possible sound reproduction provided by solid state amps as a keyboard player and use them as main PA and monitor amps.

The new class D amps are great for bass players and the founder of Quilter Labs now says he has a Class D guitar amp that guitarists will actually love. Quilter is the amplifier genius behind QSC, used by many movie theaters and his new company, Quilter Labs.
(QSC Home Quilter Laboratories)

There is a guitar player who claims to be able to tell the difference in how his effects pedals sound when powered by different 9 volt battery brands. That guy has "Shun-Mooked" himself.

class D amps are great for efficiency, and high power. they also run very cool. but would you listen to a digital amp in your home stereo?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
class D amps are great for efficiency, and high power. they also run very cool. but would you listen to a digital amp in your home stereo?

It depends upon how the amp sounds. The term "digital amp" is a misnomer.

Firstly I'd like to point out that "digital amps" is a misnomer. There are two categories:

Analog-controlled class D. Switching amplifiers with an analog input signal and an analog control system. Normally some degree of feedback error correction is present.
Digitally controlled class D. Amplifiers with a digitally generated control that switches a power stage. No error control is present. Those that do have an error control can be shown to be topologically equivalent to an analog-controlled class D with a DAC in front.

Both use switching power stages and have high power efficiency as their most eye-catching feature.

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013

You must be kidding!
You are convincing yourself.
Sham!

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Bill Ying and his cohorts appear to be more like televangelist religious nut jobs in their vapid high end audio domain , but I do appreciate the allusion to chiropractors as well. Mpingo disks, Oxy-free cables, ground wires of a certain length, etc, etc.

Bingo!

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
you are free to your opinions. i have been around this thing for over 50 years, and i have heard the best there is, and met some of the greatest minds. we all have a different approach to what we look for in audio. i want my stereo to sound just like the music sounded when it was played. there is art to doing that. only true artists can get their systems to sound really natural. i have heard the multi thousand dollar Krell KSA500 driving the multi thousand dollar Soundlab A3 speakers, and it sounded nowhere near as nice as when i heard a small two way speaker built by Herb Reichert, driven by tiny amplifier built by Don Garber, using a single number 45 tube. anyone can build power; only few can build soul.

Now that I know your age roughly, the fact that you have lost so much of your high frequencies is way more of an issue than the other things you claim you can hear!

There is no way you "heard" a macintosh amp in some semi noisy environment at your age.
Go listen to your lp's while I listen to a cd. There is a reason they died, BETTER SOUNDING OPTIONS!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You must be kidding!
You are convincing yourself.
Sham!

actually, that was an outtake from an article, and i failed to add the credits.

listen, if you wish to discuss this matter in an air of civility, you would be better served to eschew the ad hominems. i have not been rude to you once, yet your tone has been very rude and ill mannered. you are free to believe what you do, as i am free to believe what i do. i cannot force you to believe anything. you say audio is not art, and i say it is. if it was pure science, then why is it that in an era when there is technology to build the most elaborate and lightest speaker cones, people spend months trying to find old Altec drivers from the 1950s? why is it that there are designers who would never use kevlar and carbon fiber based woofers, and only use paper cones (guys like Dick Sequerra)? the science would say that lighter and stiffer is better, so how come it does not SOUND better?

and don't tell me it is placebo. Elliott Zalyet from Zalytron once told me about these fantastic Focal woofers that he was selling, made from kevlar. i ran over and bought them. he ran a simulation and gave me the box dimensions and crossover specs, and i built them exactly as stated. the thing was unlistenable for more than 10 minutes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now that I know your age roughly, the fact that you have lost so much of your high frequencies is way more of an issue than the other things you claim you can hear!

There is no way you "heard" a macintosh amp in some semi noisy environment at your age.
Go listen to your lp's while I listen to a cd. There is a reason they died, BETTER SOUNDING OPTIONS!!!

that just tells me that you have never heard a good turntable setup in your life. if you had, you would not have made that remark.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, you need to go and do some research into why cd players became popular. it has nothing to do with sound options. the early cd players were unlistenable. even today, the best turntable setups kill digital.

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
audio is, as i say, a matter of personal preferences. it is not science.

Make up your mind, in this post, you claim it is science!

as i have said, many times, audio is art, as much as science. there are certain guys out there who have come up with things that defy logic, and they work. i would never scoff at Bill Ying..

Dude, if he asks you to drink the kool-aid, say NO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.