How can US expats with no state of residence get a vaccination in the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Expats from countries where the vaccinations are being handled by national authorities would not have this problem. And US expats who mainttained a state of residence back in the U.S. will not have this issue either. But for us US expats who no longer have a state of residence it seems to be a problem. The distribution of the vaccines are being handled on a state level for their residents. And presumably each state will want to make sure folks aren't coming in from out of state to deplete their limit supply. So presumably one will have to prove state residence. But wiith some 10 million US cits living abroad somebody must have thought that some of them might want to be vaccinated as well, and prefer to do it back in the U.S. rather than depend on what and when they might be able to get it where they live. The flip side of this question is how are the DR authorities going to ration what vaccine they get (whenever that might be). Will the limited supply be reserved for Dominican citizens? Or is it likely to be a formal system that prioritizes Dominicans and an informal system based on who can pay the most?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I would use my US passport in the USA. In the DR I would use my US dollars.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you don't have residency here (in the DR) and have not renounced citizenship would you not have standing in your last state/country of residency?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Expats from countries where the vaccinations are being handled by national authorities would not have this problem. And US expats who mainttained a state of residence back in the U.S. will not have this issue either. But for us US expats who no longer have a state of residence it seems to be a problem. The distribution of the vaccines are being handled on a state level for their residents. And presumably each state will want to make sure folks aren't coming in from out of state to deplete their limit supply. So presumably one will have to prove state residence. But wiith some 10 million US cits living abroad somebody must have thought that some of them might want to be vaccinated as well, and prefer to do it back in the U.S. rather than depend on what and when they might be able to get it where they live. The flip side of this question is how are the DR authorities going to ration what vaccine they get (whenever that might be). Will the limited supply be reserved for Dominican citizens? Or is it likely to be a formal system that prioritizes Dominicans and an informal system based on who can pay the most?
CDC meeting soon to decide order of allocation but doubtful anything like the details you raise.
I would be happy if all I get is a maybe date.
News media has at this moment news CDC decided adults 75 and up are next.
Congrats to our older Americans.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
If you don't have residency here (in the DR) and have not renounced citizenship would you not have standing in your last state/country of residency?
If you continued to pay state taxes every year you can claim to still be a resident of the state, but who does that for years anticipating just this situation?

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
CDC meeting soon to decide order of allocation but doubtful anything like the details you raise.
I would be happy if all I get is a maybe date.
News media has at this moment news CDC decided adults 75 and up are next.
Congrats to our older Americans.
But that is probably not good enough if you can't prove a state residence. That is the issue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you don't have a drivers license from the US get a library card with a US address.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would use my US passport in the USA. In the DR I would use my US dollars.
Not sure if a passport will work in the US if you are not a resident of a given state. Each state will be in charge of how the vaccines are dispensed.
Only time will tell which states are easier than others.

Of course USDs work well in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, not necessarily. Some thoughts on this for US citizens who are not enrolled in medicare , have no legal residence in a US state or territory could have a issues getting such vaccines.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Relax.
Everything leaks like a runny facet in this country.
Within six months you should be able to buy it on
any street corner or from one of the local motoconcho
drivers. I was just telling my good buddy up in ATL how
I plan to get the Covid vaccine at least once a month until
I die and I recommended he do the same.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It would be hard to get an ID, like a driver's license, with such invented addresses
I got a FL back in September of this year during my break from the curfew.
First DL I've had in almost 16 years as I'd only lived aboard with passport.
Was a real pain in the butt. Surprised they didn't make me draw blood in order
to complete the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.