How difficult is it for Dominicans to get a job?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I have heard that for some jobs like driving buses they need to be a member of the union (syndicato). Becoming a member costs a lot of money for them (about 14,000RD if I remember correctly) and on top of that they have to own a vehicle (other than a motoconcho). This last requirement seemed a little nuts to me! If that is all true, the poor ones will not be able to get a driving job. Have I understood correctly in my basic Spanish?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have heard that for some jobs like driving buses they need to be a member of the union ... on top of that they have to own a vehicle (other than a motoconcho). This last requirement seemed a little nuts to me! If that is all true, the poor ones will not be able to get a driving job.
Yes, but your confusion arises by your misuse of the word "union", a misuse which is perpetuated by many gringo posters. Whatever you may think of them, unions in the civilised world exist to defend the rights (or if you prefer, the privileges) of workers (that is to say, employees). The mafias which we all criticize in the DR and which hold unreasonable power, are cartels of employers (owners), so to join a transport one it is reasonable to expect that you should own at least one vehicle. They do not exist to benefit, and are not interested in assisting, the "poor", but those who are a few steps or many steps up the economic ladder. They are cartels or trade associations of the "haves" not unions of "have nots", even if many of those "haves" don't actually have very much by First World standards.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Don't know if "WU novios" really are having a significant impact with the local economy. Most remittances are from family members living abroad, as elsewhere. Sure, a cute girl could probably persuade some older dude to be her sugar daddy, but that's not exactly limited to the DR, is it?

Back on topic. The recession has been brutal to a country that relies on exports, tourism and remittances for a very large chunk of it's economy. I don't know very many folks who haven't struggled over the past few years. Those include college-educated or exposed, bilingual folks with a "good presentation." The simple truth is most jobs never paid very much to begin with, relatively few people are retiring, which leaves less opportunity for newer entrants into the workforce, and the relatively poor education system doesn't exactly equip folks to be competitive.

A big part of the solution, as I've long held, is a concerted, sustained emphasis on education. A more educated workforce, coupled with true FZ sweetheart deals, will help draw more companies in.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
London777 - I am still confused. If I understand correctly, the requirements for entry in the syndicato are a "gating" system to protect the employees already in the system. Because there is not much work to be had, one cannot spread it too thin thereby needing this gating system to keep the masses at bay. Correct? Ok, now for the other requirement of owning a vehicle. I was given the example of someone trying to work for Caribe Tours or Metro or some other bus company. Why would he need a vehicle? He already has a "class 4" driving permit which I am told is the highest and toughest level of permit to be had in this country. He already works as a driver for a company that does not have a syndicato but he cannot get enough work to live on. He seems to be in a catch-22. Not enough $ to buy a car, so not enough $ to enter the syndicato, so cannot earn enough $ to live on, so cannot buy a car... Am I confused or what!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Owning his own vehicle was referring more to the guagua or publicos. The owner must join the syndicate to drive the route. Much like paying for a taxi medallian in NYC. In the case of guaguas, they usually don't run after dark, but publicos have to put in relief drivers to kep the car producing 24 hours.

Edward Rivas

Mar 16, 2012
www.goldenkeymanagement.com
A small correction: to get a tablilla ( the right to drive a route car) in a sindicato, the price is far higher than $14,000 pesos. I asked one of the POP-Sosua drivers and he said it`s close to $900,000.00 , and if you want to be a taxi in Sosua or Cabarete you need over a million pesos plus the van. Not sure why it`s always been that high and how any new driver can afford it, but it`s a reality. Sad but true, I also got ripped first time here by a taxi driver. Now I got a list of good ones that I recommend to travelers.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I have a friend who lives west of the capital. In three years since graduating with a degree she has struggled to find any permanent position at all. She has landed 3 jobs but has been "downsized" from every one of them when their business has shrunk. Most have been related to importing but the work, and the jobs, seem to shift constantly due to price wars. There are "contractista" jobs available but they consistently cheat people of a decent wage and avoid any hint of benefits. There have also been many job offers, many from politicos, dependent on a visit to the cabana, which she avoids on principle and the realization that it is only likely to last until the next eye candy comes along. It can not be easy when you and yours are hungry.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, there are hardwoking Dominicans but I think productivity in textiles is low by World standards. Also many other fields.
pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Always cover your breakfast when you pop away for a minute, someone has obviously pis2ed in happy jacks corn flakes today!
Never eat cornflakes in the DR ! Their transport needs much fuel since so few can be packed in a container.
Planet trashing fuel oil is needed to transport them.
Oats and fresh fruit are far better!
pi2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oats and fresh fruit are far better!
pi2
Really? Oats are grown in the DR?

Silly me, I thought oil-fired trucks took it to mills, and oil-fired trains or trucks brought it to port and oil-fired ships brought it to the DR, oil-fired trucks took it to small factories for processing and oil-fired trucks took it to colmados and retail outlets...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I really don't care about the planet dying, like everything, it gets old, battered, tired and dies. Nothing lives forever, even planet earth, so enjoy it while you can, treat yourself to a bowl of frosties once in a while and stop worrying about stuff you can't change.

Next you'll be telling me not to go out for a drive just for the hell of it, see the views, change of scenery.

Like I said before, I hope you are building that peddle boat to get off the island.