How do you express "the finish" as in "It's a patina finish"?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am searching out cabinetry work for a renovation I am doing. There is a finish I am interested in (I have a picture to show the cabinet maker next week ) that would be described as "patina" in my lingo. I'm not confident this is a word that I can use that is readily understandable. This is a very, very dark color that depends on the stain and "finish" of the wood.
What's the word???

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
A patina is a kind of superfice that developed by aging. The word Patina does not describe a certain color or pattern.
Patina is used for example with aging of paintings or copper objects.
So this word can not be used to describe in detail the finish you want on wood.

Best provide a sample picture to the cabinet maker.

Alexander

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A patina is a kind of superfice that developed by aging. The word Patina does not describe a certain color or pattern.
Patina is used for example with aging of paintings or copper objects.
So this word can not be used to describe in detail the finish you want on wood.

Best provide a sample picture to the cabinet maker.

Alexander
This is what I was afraid off. Clearly I am going to show the picture...but would love to be able to express myself. I'm Italian and talk a lot with my hands , facial express and words of love. I want cabinet maker to really understand what I want. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No matter who I choose I am going to ask they create a small piece as an example.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can specify "con brillo," "Sateen" (Satin) or "Matte"
So, shiny, dull shine, or flat.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Probably better off to use Show and Tell example .... do you have anything made of Pewter ? show them that ..
In a salt water environment Im sure it has a Patina on it .
Best example imo . and yes i like Pewter , a lot ..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You can specify "con brillo," "Sateen" (Satin) or "Matte"
So, shiny, dull shine, or flat.
I'm going to go with "sateen" along with photo .Reason being it is a kitchen cabinet and matte is not wipeable. Idon't know why have carried around the word "patina" for so many years. Clearly the word is used other wise and more likely in my life as a reference to furniture.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A satin finish is the finish you see the most on vehicle frames and black pieces in engine compartments. Not shiny, not flat.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is the finish
1E9AEECD-BBC7-4D57-A9BA-F117F704D677.jpeg

Reactions: JD Jones