how do you guys deal with it?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I guess that was a time when in Dr you could walk the streets at 4am and not have to worry about being robbed.

That was not so long ago, maybe 10 years ago, but times change and I'd not walk the streets here at 4am for fear of PN (besides nothing being open and the street deserted so why would I), crims don't bother me at all, they have not been an issue in my bubble. My bubble is now double lined so there is no chance of anyone I don't want around me coming in. Life is extremely relaxed these days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe you need to get away from the "hustle and bustle" of city life.

Might be hard to do w/ children if you're looking to raise them a certain way

I think Chiri was heading in that direction

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where we live - Punta Cana Village - we have private security, no fences, no bars on doors and windows, many children walk and cycle to school and can play outside unsupervised from the age of about 7 onwards and roam around the village independently from about the age of 9. But there have been incidents, mainly burglaries that are believed to be inside jobs with complicity of employees.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Try to keep a low profile is my best advice. We don't wear jewelry or expensive clothes. I always have a small crossbody purse so my hands are free and no one can just grab it and run. We live surrounded by locals - ONE French Canadian down the road to the left, ONE German to the right. I'm the only American for miles. And let me tell you, we stick out like sore thumbs because everyone else is black except us, the Canadian and the German.

So far so good, and it's been 30 years in the same place. We've had fruit and vegetables stolen, a couple of tools [shovels, etc.] over the years, but all in all we've survived unscathed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you.
I don't have gated - other than my own, but I have security.
We walk freely... we have a 50 minute walk/jog route thru the local area... which is quite rural.... pigs, goats, animals, people

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Where we live - Punta Cana Village - we have private security, no fences, no bars on doors and windows, many children walk and cycle to school and can play outside unsupervised from the age of about 7 onwards and roam around the village independently from about the age of 9. But there have been incidents, mainly burglaries that are believed to be inside jobs with complicity of employees.
Very interesting. How big is the complex? How many people live there? Are there schools?

I hope I'm being paranoid cause when I'm not feeling this way I enjoy being here; that plus I've been planning this move for more than 3 years and put a lot of effort, time and money into being here. I guess maybe Long Island spoiled me a bit on safety.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very interesting. How big is the complex? How many people live there? Are there schools?

I hope I'm being paranoid cause when I'm not feeling this way I enjoy being here; that plus I've been planning this move for more than 3 years and put a lot of effort, time and money into being here. I guess maybe Long Island spoiled me a bit on safety.

THis is just the start for you if you think were spoiled.....

Just wait a bit........... you'll see how spoiled

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you have a learning curve ahead of you.... a steep one

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
THis is just the start for you if you think were spoiled.....

Just wait a bit........... you'll see how spoiled

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you have a learning curve ahead of you.... a steep one
Are you referring to services and the laid back attitude of people here? I'm very familiar with this cancer.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Long Island, N.Y.?

Hispaniola Island is not Long Island thankfully. If you need what Long Island provides, it may be best to stay there. IMHO, the DR is probably not for you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, there is a school. Not sure of the size or number of inhabitants - it's all walkable distance and I would guess around three thousand people.
HOME

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

A word of advice, here. You're doing something that is actually quite counterproductive. You're trying to compare life in NYC to life in DR.

You can't, and you'll just get frustrated. Focus on the more positive aspects of life in DR (there are many), and try to deal with the stuff that aggravates you, one at a time.

Consider: it is better to be there with a dishwasher that is on the blink than to be stuck in rush hour traffic in January in NYC.

Everything can be addressed, in time. Just be patient, keep an open mind, learn to appreciate what is around you, embrace the experience, and for God's sake stop trying to compare everything to NYC. As long as you budgeted properly, you're better off in DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Keep in mind too that Dominicans that have not traveled will generally not be shy in letting one know that it was a mistake to move their country because NYC is inherently better. Been there done that and hear that one hundred thousands times and these type of people generally won't change so one has to just take their opinion with a grain of slat.

With regard to violence, yes it has gotten worse. Nonetheless, generally if one learns a few lessons there would be no issues. One first of all would not to be to stand out as much as possible. This can be done with wearing the appropriate clothes with no flashy jewelry. Also, don't have a flashy new model car like mercedes, bmw or even a Land Cruiser late model(just my opinion). And maybe most important live in a better area of town if possible.

Finally, if people are looking at you too much it could be because your uneasiness shows. If I can more or less fit in here in Santiago as a white guy I'm sure you can do it with flying colors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me see: They look at yoU? So you look like a Dominican York, maybe got a do? the hair, the clothes? If you do, that is why they look worried. I have lived here for over 50 years and never felt threatened at any time any where. Nobody looks at me except to smile.

I would like to meet you and see what that paranoia is all about? Long Island? Nassau? Suffock ??? Hempstead? where?

And where do you live in Santo Domingo? I thought you lived in Santiago????

I just do not understand...

HB

nordique

Apr 6, 2012
I've never felt more threatened than the day I stupidly decided to leave early from a night game at Yankee Stadium (the old one, that is). I was alone at the subway station and when I boarded the train there was a gang of 7 or 8 already inside, and nobody else. They pointed guns at my head and took my camera and money. So...
you can consider yourself a lucky man,that they only took your money and belonging instead of your life.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
almost 2 months in Santiago already, nothing wrong happened to me, always at home after 10 pm though...

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
I am currently living in NYC and have for close to 20 years. I am in the process of making the move to down there. I will always have a place for NYC in my heart but let's not fool ourselves a lot of bad things can happen here also. Just the other day a man was shot in head while walking down the sidewalk near Columbus Circle in the middle of the day. I am sure you saw the story about the man being pushed onto the subway track and no one came to his aid but had time to take pictures. Besides that have you ever listened to a police scanner from the NYPD, I would suggest you don't or you won't be returning to NYC if you have those type of feeling in life.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I feeling perfectly safe in my area of Jarabacoa. I wouldn't wander through certain areas of town late at night but either would most native Dominicans. I walk for exercise but only in areas that are open and full of people. I hear all sorts of stories from well meaning locals about precautions to take, incidents that have taken place ..etc, and I listen to them.
I also have reasonably active danger radar that I developed over 35 yars of going to foreign countries where there was considerably more danger and more crime than the DR. Spend some time in Honduras.