how do you guys deal with it?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Trying To "Compare" The DR With Other Countries, I A "Fools Errand"!!!!!!!!!!!

But I guess I am in the minority feeling that way!!!
I am Soooooooooooooooooooooo "Sick & Tired" of those who do, that it frustrates me no end!
"Big Apple", and "Naranjas" are NOT THE SAME!
It's like, if a guy finds his wife having sex with a neighbor, is going to "Feel Better" because his other neighbor's wife is srewing four guys??????????????????????????????????
THIS Is DR1!
I live HERE, NOT Everywhere Else!!!
I care about things that affect my life in the DR!
You wanna worry about "Nueba Jork", move there!
THEN, it SHOULD MATTER to you, but if you live here it SHOULD NOT!!!!!
I have always though that one should try to improve their "Lot-In-Life", NOT try to feel better because others are worse off than they are.
Makes absolutely no sense.
It's just an easy, simplistic, way of "Blabbing", and not doing ANYTHING Worthwhile.
"YaDuhYaDuhYaDuh"
Get Real!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I see how family in the DR live and that is not way to live. Who wants to have an armed guard at the door, bars on windows and not be able to go out after dark because they are afraid to get robbed? Can't trust anyone because most are you looking to rob or scam you?

I say pack your bags and head back to the U.S. How can you raise your kids in that type of envirnonment?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't have an armed guard. I go out all the time. In fact, for work reasons I'm usually out late at night several times a week. I've met people who tried to scam me, but most haven't. I don't have any children, but if I did I'd rather raise them in a country like DR, and never, for any reason in the US. But that's just me....

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Castle" was that you walking down on the "Malcon" at 2 am. last night????
"Nice Dress"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I do agree with you about raising kids here, but ONLY if you have the money to give them the best of everything.
Otherwise you should be in the USA, where "Obama's Nanny State" will provide for you, and your children!!!
Government here, "Not-S0OOOOOOOOOOOOOO-Much"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is dangerous in NY, LA, DC, Miami, Chicago, etc...the only difference here is you have to be a bit more creative on how you protect yourself. Do I worry about being a victim of crime, of course just like I would anywhere else. My bigger fear is having to deal with the police, etc, as a victim of crime. It is like becoming a victim 2x. Do I let that fear overcome my life, NO..Just be aware thats all.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I don't have an armed guard. I go out all the time. In fact, for work reasons I'm usually out late at night several times a week. I've met people who tried to scam me, but most haven't. I don't have any children, but if I did I'd rather raise them in a country like DR, and never, for any reason in the US. But that's just me....

I grew up in Santiago and things have changed for the worst. I still have a lot of family that lives there and they all agree about how dangerous it has gotten and how they don't feel safe anymore.

OP is not the only person that feels that way and I just don't get why you would want to live somewhere that you feel paranoid and not safe, specially if you have children.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its sad when one feels unsafe in their city/country of residence.We all know you need to be on guard in most developing, 3rd world countries. Has it changed here that much over the 4 years I have been here. I would have to say YES based on the experiences I have heard from friends and read in the media-Luckily "Gracias a Dios" I have not been personally affected but definitely have a higher awareness.
Its also abundantly clear and I hear it all the time that many don't go out as much especially at night, which adversely effects businesses and therefore the economy in general. News articles like this make you wonder as well.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...-carries-assault-weapons-on-fear-for-his-life

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LISAGRAUSE

Come on over for coffee. You are just a few blocks away. Let me know in a PM if you want to.

HB

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I have never had that sitting duck feeling at any time in DR. I've stayed almost exclusively in the barrios where my husband's family live and have taken numerous shopping trips and excursions alone and I dress well and carry my purse. I don't go into dark alleyways alone or go out alone at night because even Dominicans don't do that... but have never felt at risk. Our cousin's house got broken into during the night of our wedding while the family asleep and some items were stolen but nobody was hurt, or even aware of the incident until the next morning when they woke up. This happens everywhere. My house in Canada was broken into before in broad daylight. Anyway, Dominicans often stare at new people or foreigners especially in the barrios where they know everyone.... you'd stand out more. I'm sure you're just being paranoid.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Case in point: This morning, 8am, Llanos de Gurabo, two guys pull up in a car and break into a house that is 2 houses from mine. The mother and father are in church, only the daughter is home, she is 18. She heard the noise and pretended to be sleeping. The robbers wake her up and tell her that is she screams they will kill her. They tie her up and demand she show them where the money is and where the father's pistol is. She says her father doesn't have a pistol. They load TVs, and other valuable stuff into the car and take off. The craziest and most absorb part is that I live in a "closed" residence. There is only 1 way in and out. We are in the process of placing a guard at the entrance. The house where the guard is supposed to stand in is almost finished. These crooks have some balls! Usually these types of robberies are done in a street that can be exited easily. Very sad.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'll bet on the 18 year old daughter being the "Inside", on an "Inside Job"!
I never loose that bet!!!
After any robbery, you must think, Family, Employee,Security guards, or "all of the above!
Many times, the "Insider" is killed, "WHY"????
"Dead Men, and Women, Tell No Tales!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo's old friend who works for naranjas barcelo in hato major came to spend christmas with his family in POP. we talked briefly about crime... he has a small gun in his pocket and an escopeta in a truck. says several people in his company were attacked in recent months and robbed or hurt. never been obsessed with security before... he is now...

but he was very calm about it all. his point was there are so many attacked one has to protect oneself and family. maybe this is how one should deal with it: peacefully ready.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
the times i was there i never been robbed i always had 1000 pesos in my pocket and my phone at the hotel. so basically you can rob me for 20 to 30 bucks which don't bother me but people just look at you because you look different just blend in with every body that's what i do and i always walk in the worst areas and nothing happen im sorry to say but some times you cant be a punk. but basically dr is real safe from what i seen unless you are flashing 5 thousand dollars around

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bizzy", You are "Whistling Through the Graveyard!!!!"
I doubt you will "GET" that!
If the thieves just took you $30 "bucks",......and LEFT, that wouldn't bother most of us.
BUT, when they take your $30 "Bucks" and then kill you, or a family member, you might get a "LITTLE PI$$ED"!
I have had a 12ga. shotgun in my bedroom for 17 years.
Never been fired.
I have, however, used it to "Discourage" :eek::eek::eek: intruders, on 2 occasions.
The guy I bought the house from said he would go out on the balcony a couple oftimes a month, and fire a pistol into the air.
Just so everyone would know he has a "Pistola"!
Most of my neighbors are, "Gun Owners". :rambo::rambo::rambo:
My "good friend", and next door neighbor, is a General in "La Policia National".
He has armed police presence in front of his house, THAT doesn't "hurt" very much! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
He told me to NEVER shoot a "Ladron". :bandit::bandit::bandit:
If you wound him, he'll come after you.
If you kill him, his family and his "Amigos' will come after him.
And then there is getting a good lawyer to present your "case" to the court system!
Let "La Policia" take care of you, he said.
And in this case, I believe him.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just be sure and "Knock", before you enter, when you get to my front gate!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Because everyone would rather just TAKE what they want without working to get it!
If you spend your whole life watching government employees, elected, AND appointed, stealing, you think, "Hell, If they all do it, I will too!"
NOW, add all the drug sellers, and users, you get anarchy !!!!
CCCCCC
When there is no "Papi" in the house, and "Mami" takes no responsibility for her children's behavior, and, now here's the Important part!, nor does she teach responsibility for your actions to her children, === "Crime!"
Want MORE????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Nah, CC, you said it. I have no reason to disagree. I guess I am still wondering why, or more specifically, how it will change, if ever. Why does this attitude you describe prevail? It's sad really. This is the same attitude you find among lowlifes in the states and probably in other places, too.

Dec 26, 2011
Nah, CC, you said it. I have no reason to disagree. I guess I am still wondering why, or more specifically, how it will change, if ever. Why does this attitude you describe prevail? It's sad really. This is the same attitude you find among lowlifes in the states and probably in other places, too.

Because in Dominican culture it's completely acceptable for men to father children without later being "fathers" to them.