how do you guys deal with it?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree 100%...In my house "Tio" is never really invited but unfortunately I cant control what happens at the in-laws.. That is one of the biggest problems I see here in DR, little respect for firearms. People get a few drinks in them and then start showing off their gun. Young kids see that and think that is the cool thing to do. My son knows better but when he gets around his cousins and the spouses family all common sense goes out the window. There is a responsibilty that comes with owning a firearm. Lets just say today I am not the favorite Tia or mom. In my bag I have 3 i-phones and 2 black berrys and until 5 individuals can come and tell me what is wrong with what happened lets just say I will have a cell phone for every occasion. As for "Tio" well lets just say he left with his "tail" between his legs so to speak. Guess I wont be invited back next year..lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so... when we were all having a dine christmas dinner yesterday someone broke to my brother in law's apartment. everything worth anything stolen. busy christmas day for some, eh?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Sorry that happened...Seems your common scumbags dont even take time out for the Holiday...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We all have our Dominican Family "CROSSES TO BARE"!
My "Suegro", his son, and a "TIO" started celebrating about noon.
Sitting outside, under a big Avocado tree, music at about 120 DBs.
Drunk as I have ever seen a family at Christmas, "Boston Irish" not included! :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:rolleyes:
How can I complain to the neighbors, when "WE" are just as bad??
The "Tia" that was "supposed" to bring a roast chicken, and "Chicharones"...."Forgot!!!"
Must have been contagious!
The "Tia" responable for disposable plates,bowls, cutlery,and plastic cups, also was a victim of total amnesia!
Not only her, but also the "Tia" that was supposed to bring the giant loaves of bread,..."Blow to the head???
SHE forgot too!
I'll tell you waht no one "Forgot to bring", their huge apetites !!
Luckily, I, "Been There Done That" many times before!!!!
We had MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOre than enough for everyone to stuff themselves.
AND, EVEN, to take home what was left!!!
I really don't care, my mother-in-law and I are great cooks, and hosts.
We actually enjoy providing for "Others"!
It's just that in the DR, there are so MANY,Many,Many,"OTHERS!!!
The only firearm allowed in my house, is MINE!!!!
AND, it's under, "Lock & Key",...............................MOST of the time!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
CC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my dominican family cross to bear? i was asked to make one dish for dinner. i said ok, i'll make buns stuffed with meat. i did. then i was called there should be potato salad. i made one. then, then one salad is not enough. i made coleslaw. then miesposo decides to make last minute cinnamon rolls. and it turns out our mixer is f**ked. but only after eggs, milk and sugar have been thrown in a pot together. so i made damn things by hand from start to finish, with cinnamon, nuts, apples and pears.

and then it turned out i was the only person who brought food... :)

on the other hand i left with a huge bag of goodies like roasted pig, sweetcorn souffle and moro de guandules :)

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Now I dont feel as bad...it was decided that the family (spouses) would buy all the food and we would supply the alcohol. Food was great but I am still trying to run the numbers..lol. Lots and lots of drinking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have totally no bad feelings, even thou i spent entire day in the kitchen. the food was great, we had fan and altogether it was a great night. well, not for my brother in law, obviously.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We all love our Dominican "Extended Families!
I know I sure do!
They are a never ending source of the "Material" I use on DR1!
Show me an Expat, without more than a FEW 'Dominican Relative Stories",AND, AND, AND????????
AND,......I'LL SHOW YOU,You???????............"CHIP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
To the OP December is ALWAYS the worse here with robberies and muggings.. Same thing in the state, but you hear about it a lot more. In the US they hide most of it.. lol No there is definitely a lot more going on in December. If you are scared though, get out.. go back to the US.

Me, I opted for bars, security cameras, alarm system with range motion detectors, and dogs.

Don't wear flashy jewelery, clothes, don't carry fancy cellphones.. women don't carry purses that can be snatched, etc. I personally don't wear any jewelery, dress very american in my flip flops, etc.. and never carry a purse. WHen I got here I had a blackberry, but gave that up.. was sick of Dominicans telling me to becareful with it.. lol I walk when I need to.. lol I am now in the capital, so I don't walk outside alone at night like I did in the campo.. My kids don't play outside unless we are out there with them, etc.. Things are different here in the capital than when we lived in the campo.. But I still love this country.. love our lives here, and wouldn't want to go back to the states.. That's just me.. My house is never left unattended. When I first got here I thought Dominicans were crazy for telling me to never leave the house unattended.. no, it's really not a good thing..

Happy New Years Everyone!!! DV8 Sorry for your Cunados being robbed.. that SUCKS..

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
When I got married, we rented a private second-floor room at one of the restaurants at calle Atarazana in Zona Colonial. The restaurant would provide food and beverage for a fixed price per guest. So we did the math and decided we could afford 30 guests and no more. Right after the wedding ceremony 2 cousins of the bride arrived from NY, with their husbands, kids, and mothers in law. A few minutes later, a very old lady who is said to have raised the bride (and hence also felt entitled to attend) also arrived along with her entourage. The restaurant manager notified me there was now a total of 47 guests. Luckily for me, the credit card could barely take the new charges. Needless to say, none of the new guests brought any gifts for the newlywed. Oh well, most of those from the original list of guests didn't pick anything from the wedding gift list either, so...

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I have helped my suegra with some things in her house that I also use like a bathroom and a fridge. They also know I am not a pushover. I established this right away with 20 primos that came from Macoris that showed up at my wedding that were not on the guest list. I had them all kicked off the hotel property back on to the bus right when they came in the door. They eventually got over it.
I don't wear flashy stuff and I leave my car a little bit beat up on purpose. I don't worry about my house's safety since I live next to the husband of the Atty. General of Santo Domingo. So there is a policia militar next door to me 24/7.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I did see a drug deal happen right in front of my face in the parking lot for Banco Leon in Los Jardines today though.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Oh well, most of those from the original list of guests didn't pick anything from the wedding gift list either, so...

with pride i say: I AM ONE OF THOSE GUESTS. i never buy any gifts. but then i go to weddings that cost over 100.000 dollars. and my thinking is: someone who can spend this much money on a stupid wedding can also buy a damn fridge. and those who cannot spend this much and borrow left and right to show off are idiots and they do not deserve a gift.
and yes, i show up just in time to eat (i have it all worked out) and leave immediately afterwards. newlyweds should be grateful i even made an appearance: they can boast to friends how many guests they had and how much they spent. i add to that number. i should get a gift myself!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
with pride i say: I AM ONE OF THOSE GUESTS. i never buy any gifts. but then i go to weddings that cost over 100.000 dollars. and my thinking is: someone who can spend this much money on a stupid wedding can also buy a damn fridge. and those who cannot spend this much and borrow left and right to show off are idiots and they do not deserve a gift.
and yes, i show up just in time to eat (i have it all worked out) and leave immediately afterwards. newlyweds should be grateful i even made an appearance: they can boast to friends how many guests they had and how much they spent. i add to that number. i should get a gift myself!

Easy, girl!...
I don't know if you're talking in general, but my wedding costed less than 1,000 dollars (originally, anyway), and we paid for it with the money from the bride's job severance payment. We weren't boasting anything to anyone, it was a humble ceremony. And the gift list didn't include anything above 2000 DOP I think, hardly the cost of a fridge. I'll take it you're talking about other people's wedding and call it a day. But me, if I can't afford or just don't feel like bringing a gift I prefer to stay home. I know very damn well how much newlywed need it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
castle, baby, it was totally NOT about you. i was talking about weddings of pretentious and superficial folks :)

our wedding was equally tiny affair, i think the bill, including all the food, drinks and a dress was still below 1000 dollars. and we still got some freeloaders, brought by my mother in law :) but we didn't mind as it was only two people and they enjoyed the party :)

i have only been to a small wedding once and our gift was ron. enough to emborrachar everyone present few times over :)