How do you say "eggplant"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I typed eggplant into bable fish and got "berenjena" as a translation. Is this how you say it here in the Dominican Republic?

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
What were you calling them?
Huevos de planta?

Hehe. No. I didn't know how to say it and I am going out to a restaurant later this evening that I suspect has eggplant on the menu and if they do, I am going to order it :).

Larry

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
It is called berenjena. That's what it is called in Cuba and that's what the dictionary says. So berenjena it must be!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
berenjena/ berenjenal-

Estoy de acuerdo contigo JC.

At least for this vegetable berenjena seems to be the universal word not like other vegetables. You definitely have to know the local name or you may not be understood or get something totally unexpected. When I visit different Latin countries I always enjoy going into the grocery store and browsing in the fruit and vegetable section just to see and learn the local names. The differences and variations are always interesting.

Let's not forget the expression that's a spin off from berenjena:

"meterse en un berenjenal"= "meterse en un lío"

-LDG.

Last edited by a moderator:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I had almost forgotten that phrase, Lesley. It is true, berenjena must be of one those few words for vegetables that is universal. The names of fruits and vegetables do change, even from one island to the other in the Spanish speaking Caribbean.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Brit-speak, as well as French. We also say 'courgette' instead of zucchini.
Would that be "gourgette", with a "G", a spin off of "gourde", implying a small one?

Evidently not. I see now that it is the correct word for zucchini in French.
Ever since I started studying Swahili, my French has gone to pot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.