How do you stop your shoes going mouldy?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My Clarks never mold. That's the only pair I own. 99.9 % I wear my arch-supporting flip flops

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Spray them nightly with Windex. In spite of any indications to the contrary, Windex kills everything.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Took my own advice. Brought a pair of loafer to get resoled. 100$ for full leather sole and heel. I wonder how much that would be in DR? I got some new shoes and refreshed my tin can polish. spent an hour shining shoes.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Took my own advice. Brought a pair of loafer to get resoled. 100$ for full leather sole and heel. I wonder how much that would be in DR? I got some new shoes and refreshed my tin can polish. spent an hour shining shoes.

Spit shine by any means?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Beeza, You have a had a lot of good advice I am sure but none have really addressed killing the mould spores that will remain. We use SUN LIGHT - just put the items in the full sun , turn them over to get all sides and the UV will kill the spores .

Give it a try !!

Olly and the team

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A parade quality spit shine not really recommended here. In the intense sunlight/heat from late spring to late fall, the built up layers of polish melt and the oils sweat out in no time at all. Lot's of work to repair the damage and restore the mirror shine. Especially with dark colours. Better to just apply, brush and buff.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Windex contains ammonia, might not be the best option for good leather, especially suede or soft calf leathers. Prevention is the best advice, keep good shoes dry and protected in the first place. Apply a leather treatment (polish, a leather conditioner or water proofing after use) if you aren't using some other active humidity control option.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Beeza, did you try any of the suggested products? I’m asking because our car interior was covered with a thin film of mold/mildew when we returned. It’s never happened before. Guessing we need to put something in it when we leave in May.

Anyone else ever have that problem? Car was in garage, car cover, same as always

Yes it happened to me, but in Nova Scotia Sept to Nov 2017.... green mold on everything. Starte with my leather jacket I left in the car. Had to throw the coat out and took days to clean ...what a mess. So not just to RD.
Here my leather shoes (2 pair) are cleaned weekly, the belts have been replaced by webbing belts , and am thinking of getting a dehumidifier.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A parade quality spit shine not really recommended here. In the intense sunlight/heat from late spring to late fall, the built up layers of polish melt and the oils sweat out in no time at all. Lot's of work to repair the damage and restore the mirror shine. Especially with dark colours. Better to just apply, brush and buff.

My parade shoes must have had over a hundred layers of Kiwi parade gloss by the time I demobbed.  Hours of going around in circles with cotton balls and plenty of spit.

You never see dubbin any more.  I used to clean my rugby boots with dubbin.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had a similar issue on my sailboat in FL with items in lockers like shoes and foul weather gear.

I found spraying them with Lysol prior to putting them in lockers helped immensely.

Solar vents helped, but that would be inop for your problem.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
ordered new brushes from amazon today.

Now can someone please solve my moth problem. Damnable mofos always go for the good wool.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
ordered new brushes from amazon today.

Now can someone please solve my moth problem. Damnable mofos always go for the good wool.

I use cedar. Seems moths hate that wood. You can buy cedar small wood piece in a hook. Than recharge with a coat of cedar oil. Cedar is available in the Dominican Republic If the smell is not offending to your nose. My nose likes cedar smell. Also good for cigars :)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I use cedar. Seems moths hate that wood. You can buy cedar small wood piece in a hook. Than recharge with a coat of cedar oil. Cedar is available in the Dominican Republic If the smell is not offending to your nose. My nose likes cedar smell. Also good for cigars :)

The OP mentioned mold, not moths. I agree Cedar is very good for shoes, but does nothing in regards to mold prevention. I have seen cedar trees belonging to others grow fusty.