How does a "product" get a duty classification at customs.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Anyone know how/where I begin to get a product I use in construction projects in the USA a "code, classification, a whatever", so that I might consider whether or not I would be interested in importing into the DR? As far as I can tell this product does not exist in the DR.Therefore, I don't know how to estimate the total cost.

Reactions: Jumbo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm guessing you are referring to the Harmonized Code, which is how everything that is exported/imported has a code.

Here is the U.S. govt. website: http://hts.usitc.gov/

And if that doesn't confuse you, you can always refer to the Dominican Customs Harmonized Codes, which oddly enough, are different: https://www.aduanas.gob.do/de-interes/consultas/arancel-de-aduanas-6ª-enmienda-2017/

If something is not being imported for construction, there's usually a good reason.
Aside from "there's usually a good reason", I don't see why the U.S. site would be helpfully. I am interested in determining the import duty/tax of his product ino the DR. Assume for purposes of this discussion the product in its'present form has not been in the DR. However, it's component parts are clear and definable...would that help if I went to adauna?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
In my experience of importing various things,with Vimenpaq, there seems to be no logical scale. Sometimes when I bring in golf balls or tennis balls with a value of about $150 to $170 and have an invoice to prove it , I have to pay about 10% and sometimes nothing. Some years ago I brought in a box of videos with all the James Bond films and they would not release them to me because they said that I was going to show them in a cinema. Finally I paid tax of about 25 % . I have imported a drill and paid nothing but a box of very strong drill bits for cement and bricks attracted 5 % . Sometimes I think they are testing you because there is always the question ..Do you wish to proceed by paying the tax ?..

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Find yourself a good freight broker/forwarder and take them with you to Dominican Customs. JD can probably hook you up with one. Get customs to tell you the duty and get confirmation in writing.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Find yourself a good freight broker/forwarder and take them with you to Dominican Customs. JD can probably hook you up with one. Get customs to tell you the duty and get confirmation in writing.
Would that freight/broker be in the states...and then I go to Dominican customs SD?

Jan 9, 2004
Aside from "there's usually a good reason", I don't see why the U.S. site would be helpfully. I am interested in determining the import duty/tax of his product ino the DR. Assume for purposes of this discussion the product in its'present form has not been in the DR. However, it's component parts are clear and definable...would that help if I went to adauna?
You might be surprised. Several clients have gotten very good information regarding export from the US to the DR here;

They exist to help facilitate exports from the US to the signatory countries.

Remember there is an FTA (free trade agreement) called DR/CAFTA

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It does not work like that. Your agent will inform you that your goods have arrived but taxes need to be paid and do you want to continue .You say yes and then you receive an email from customs telling you the amount to be paid , the reference number and how to pay the tax ..I pay via Banco Popular. Then you inform customs as per their email to you and I always inform my agent also . The agent can then take the goods from customs and deliver them to you.

Jan 9, 2004
Makes sense. Will go in that direction. Thanks
Click on About US then click Contact US then click Country information and fill out the form.

They were instrumental in pointing my clients in the right direction to obtain a 75% reduced duty on some vehicles they brought in.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Would that freight/broker be in the states...and then I go to Dominican customs SD?
Johne a Customs broker in Santo Domingo that knows their way around customs. I used to know some but that's been 10-15 years ago.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks to all above. To clarify; I need to know the price BEFORE I ship a container load. So, second question is...is the determination of aduana set by a contractual form/agreement?

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks to all above. To clarify; I need to know the price BEFORE I ship a container load. So, second question is...is the determination of aduana set by a contractual form/agreement?
And that is why you should try to contact the agency in the link I posted above in post#7.

Finding the proper category is the hardest part. There are literally hundreds of pages of tariffs listed in the DR/CAFTA agreement and its appendixes. You need to know what category your product falls under and into and what, if any, sub-class it falls under/into, whether there is a quota on that product, and finally, what the tariff rate, flat/fixed or floating, will be on each item.

Then you can verify that information with Aduana, prior to importing into the DR.

Tip: If you are serious about importation, contact Aduana last. Tell them your product, what tariff schedule/regimen you expect it to fall under and cite the section of DR/CAFTA. When Aduana feels they are dealing with someone who knows the rules (they like to test rookies), they are less inclined to try re-categorize your product into a higher tariff regimen.

It is not a simple process, But, once you establish your tariff(s) on the first container, it becomes a mere formality for the containers of equal goods that follow.

Again, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As a start, you may want to ask the provider of the product what the Harmonized Code is, and use that as a reference to look it up in the Dominican Codes.

If that gives you a number to work with, your broker here can work with that.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
As a start, you may want to ask the provider of the product what the Harmonized Code is, and use that as a reference to look it up in the Dominican Codes.

If that gives you a number to work with, your broker here can work with that.
ok. Will do.Thank you

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Anyone know how/where I begin to get a product I use in construction projects in the USA a "code, classification, a whatever", so that I might consider whether or not I would be interested in importing into the DR? As far as I can tell this product does not exist in the DR.Therefore, I don't know how to estimate the total cost.

Custom broker (agente de aduanas) will clarify that for you in a few key strokes.
Contact one, and you’ll have your answers quickly.