How Does one move?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ad hominem attack, first sign of a weak argument. No one spelt because it isnt a word. You can make up a definition, but it is not a word. Words are used in conversations, no one has ever used the word 'spelt'. Perhaps you are thinking of a similar sounding word, to smell or to feel? Nope, gaps in my education? Thats funny! Dont they still write your name on your underwear? So to clarify spelt sounds like a past tense form of a word, but its not a word.

And in America, we end transitive verbs with -ize.

sorry Buddy,
but we are in the Caribbean here and give a Heck on what some others always try to force us to do/accept/spell/read/write.
I agree that you did Hollywood not bad and Disneyworld Orlando and Anaheim are IMHO 2 worlds better than the cheap copy in France,
but you would need more than just a American Highschool Grade to Force us to american spellings.

this Topic is anyways not about Education or each's spelling abilities in the 3rd out of 5 or 7 languages,
it is solely about Spicy and her liked Move to the Caribbean.
Why she really wanna Move, may it be to gather more lifeexperience in a different surrounding, or a nice guy in Her mind worth to make a move or what so ever doesn't matter.
above the advices been given, the sankie 101 been mentioned, we talked about medic insurances, rates for different level Rentals, the need of back up money for emergency, the very important need to have a Backflightticket stored at a save place before arrival etc etc.

for a 3 months stay 5K$$$US is a good amount to come around, it is not the level for a 3 months luxury stay in a Cap Cana Beach Front Villa but it is enough for a decent start, always keep in Mind, the backflight Ticket is paid for and stored at a save Place prior to arrival.
nothing can go wrong on that.

Hey Annie,
great advise as usual

cheers
Mike

btw,
I don't use spellcheck,
english is the 3rd of 5 languages I read and write,
don't bother to correct, I do not even bother to reread before posting, because such is in no way anything Important in that short Life to waste Time on.

Reactions: Bronxboy

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm an experienced house painter I'm certified and I have been working for communications for two years.. It's true that I don't have my highschool education but I did upgrade in college.. I also am learning spanish..I have worked hard and I have a good job in canada but I'm honestly not scared of my lack of college degrees in all honesty ... I'm 23 I didn't want to experience life sitting in a classroom . I prefer to learn by experiencing life.

Believe it or not, this is something to rely upon!
While house painters are a dime a dozen (more like a million) in the DR, most working in that field are seldom "achievers" that stick to good service as promised. They tend to come from the poor sector and lack uniformity in their work. Most paint jobs see the never ending "Ma?ana" that never comes, as the "normal" practice.

If you polish your knowledge and apply new techniques on cement walls, the results could be a good advantage over looking for a job in the DR!!!

Having English as your native language is a big plus, so too the fact that most new apartments in the DR are currently making lots of use of the gypsum panels for inside finishing.

Consolidate into buying top notch equipment in Canada, pack it and send it by door to door shipping to the DR. Nothing gives you more edge above the rest than looking professional and being rightly equipped for the task at hand.

Buying and branding painting uniforms, caps, custom pails, etc... in Canada will work wonders for you in the DR. First thing is first! Come to the DR not as a tourist on vacation, but as if you were to make a move from your present home to another town within Canada. Ask many questions no matter how unimportant they might seem then, but that later could prove very critical.

Living with a minimum budget in the DR is doable, as long as you curtail to the very basics your current needs and comforts. Do you need 24/7 electricity in the DR? Not really! Unlike in Canada or the US, people buy their basic meals for the day fresh. That's to say one visits the local produce market to stack on perishables, which can be had for pennies on the dollar. Others visit the local big supermarket chains, where power is indeed run 24/7 to avoid huge loses in that segment of goods.

For TV during blackouts nothing much will be missed, other than your daily fix of Novelas. Most people that use the internet on a regular basis, own laptops and a battery backup for their modems.

Refrigerators stacked with the usual suspects in Canada, are not the norm in homes without a power generator at hand. Most homes keep cisterns or water tanks for the loss of power and water times.

Transportation is very cheap in the DR! The cheaper the less safe and outstandingly most efficient. Being "Motoconchos" (a motorcycle) the cheapest, unsafest and most economic of them all.

Renting a place in the DR is tricky, to say the least. If renting to a Dominican the rate is competitive to the local offerings. If renting to a foreigner, the rates double or triple in a jiffy. They figure that since a foreigner, they're able to pay better and still find it cheap.

When you are ready to rent, make use of the local expat community links in the area. Since they got lots of connections with locals already, many can provide the best bang for your buck.

Safety is a major concern in the DR as of late! This is not saying that crime is overriding the town, but it has begun to include foreign nationals more often than not. That means that the usual foreign spots, like Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, etc... Have become magnets to criminals looking for easy targets and sure to have some money or valuables on them.

With that in mind somebody looking to experience the culture and living of the Dominican Republic, as you stated, should be looking more away from the coastal paradises and more into the big cities.

Transportation? It's a must to live in the DR! Let alone carry out a business...

Cars and other vehicles are very expensive in the DR. You have two choices: Buy one in the DR, new or used. Buy one in Canada and later import it to the DR under the foreign citizen moving to the DR exoneration law.

Both options bring their own troubles. If you buy in the DR, you get what you paid for, literally! That's to say that a cheap car is not really a "good" deal, but more like buying a lemon that still got some left over juice in it.
On the other hand, car repairs are cheap in the DR and pretty much they can fix everything wrong with the car.

Importing a vehicle using the exoneration law, will give you the opportunity to bring a "good" vehicle to the DR but still cut your only option to do so for the rest of your life in the DR. You can only make use of that exoneration once! I find that most people that come to the DR and bring their cars when they moved have kicked themselves in the butt for doing so without giving themselves a time to soak-in the country.

As with everything in life, the best planned moves are the ones that meet success most of the time.
Like I said before if you can get a job/biz in the DR, you pretty much will live a comfortable life here.

Reactions: MikeFisher

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Now I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment.

I came to the D.R. on holiday and just never went home.
I had already left my country years before to go and live on whatever beaches were the most beautiful and had the coldest beer - granted I was 30 when I left and had a residual income - but I was by no means wealthy.

If I had waited until it made any kind of sense to pack up and leave then I would still be planning it.
The only thing to do is pack a suitcase and dive in head first.
If you still have the support network of family then should it not work out you can always call for help - there is no shame in that.
In fact that is what I aspire to as a parent - always being there.

I have always had the family network that would bail me out if it ever did get out of hand - I think! - I hope I never have to find out!
Maybe I am too old to be bailed out at this stage?
Luckily it never happened like that - but what I do know is that you can lose everything in a flash - I have seen it happen for many people in Haiti, where I live most of the time these days.
For me the risk would be to not do something when I had the opportunity, and to lose that opportunity.

I planned nothing - just went where the wind blew me and it it blew me to the D.R.

Since then I ended up getting married, having a kid, getting a job etc.....

Some people miss "home". I never did.
I soon realised that home is not a place it is a bunch of people.
Funnily enough, as soon as I started living in nice places, these people would come and visit. That is nice because you have an excuse to do all the touristy things that you never get round to doing.

I was reckless and I was lucky.

What I will say is that the people who do manage to "escape" have a certain something about them. Good or bad - they all had the gumption to actually get up and do something spectacular.
I have seen them come and I have seen them go - but for me the key is that you are "running towards something" not "running away from something".

So the question in the thread title is - How does one move?
The answer is "one moves forward."

What is the worst that can happen? :bunny:

Good GOD Pedro, your posts are actually quite insightful when you're not flaming newbies! :) You really must have been sober when writing this. I liked it though, so thank you (genuinely, not sarcastically)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I have my moments!!!

Honestly, Pedro is a character with whom I play around on a forum.
If I was like that inreal life I would have beaten to a pulp years ago - and rightly so!

But over the last year he is turning into someone more like me.

Poor, bugger!

Reactions: MikeFisher