How does one report loud music ?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe that is NOT applicable every time. For example in my case, when I first moved where I'm living right now, it was quiet and only ocassionally a neighbor would blast his stereo until late at night, which I'm fine with it like during the holidays.
But during the Pandemic behind our house they built a bar that sometimes will have their "parties" from like 12 PM to 2-3 AM sometimes excruciatingly loud.
So, what should I do? Move, just because some @sswhole has decided that they MUST have loud music and disturb my peace?
Why do their "rights/needs" trumphs mine?
Would I then have the right to go and cut their electrical wires just because my "need" of peace and tranquility is being disturbed?
And this is not the first time this happened to me, I have moved because of noise "pollution" atleast 3 times, last time the exact thing happened. The area was quiet but then somebody decided to open a bar just behind our home, which made it almost unbareable during especially the weekends.
Like. Like. Like! My wife is Dominican and she agrees with me. If I go to a restaurant and it is packed and they have loud music, I need to suck it up and accept it as Dominican culture because most like it. However If there is a packed restaurant with tourists and there are one or two morons across the street playing loud music on bad speakers and one or two clowns popping wheelies up and down the streets constantly, then they need to realize that nobody wants to hear that while eating and nobody is impressed with the wheelies and they are driving away tax revenue from the country.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Like. Like. Like! My wife is Dominican and she agrees with me. If I go to a restaurant and it is packed and they have loud music, I need to suck it up and accept it as Dominican culture because most like it. However If there is a packed restaurant with tourists and there are one or two morons across the street playing loud music on bad speakers and one or two clowns popping wheelies up and down the streets constantly, then they need to realize that nobody wants to hear that while eating and nobody is impressed with the wheelies and they are driving away tax revenue from the country.
I agree but its still comes back to lack of education and being a lambone

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Before 10Pm you can't do s... ! After 10 pm, call the police and have other friends call the police again. After several callswithout any results, ask for the name of the "comandante de turno" and threaten to file a formal complain against him. THIS ALWAYS WORKS ! But be aware... this want last long. You have to repeat this procedure again and again.

Reactions: reilleyp

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is how the young male Ninis attract a mate. Better chance of seeing hell freeze over before you see this type of behavior stop.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I just downloaded the Denuncias app and it seems simple and easy to use. And the denuncias for noise are anonymous, so supposedly the police won't give your name to the bar or people concerned. I've made one tonight, I did give my contact details as they asked if I wanted them to follow up, so let's see if anything happens. I'd definitely encourage others to try this app if having problems with noise.

Reactions: sosuadr and cavok

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Well, the funny thing though is that this is not something that just "gringos" gets annoyed about. The reason why the government actually has started to act on these things (this has only been available for like 5 years or so to report loud noises, although in the end not many of the ones who should act on it actually do take it seriously) was NOT to please their "gringo" population, but because a lot of local (dominicans) do also get really annoyed by this.
In my own experience, the mayority of those who do this (on a regular basis, I mean everyone can do this like 1 weekend/year), are people who either are low-lifes or people that doesn't have "normal" 9-5 jobs. So why should an entire barrio have to suffer just because one or two have decided that their need to play loud music trumphs everybody else's need for peace and tranquality? So it doesn't really have to do with a choice of "adopt or leave".
IMHO this is one aspect of the undercurrent of passive-aggressiveness that runs through Dominican culture.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
5k downloads on Google play, not really mainstream yet.....

Exactly, I imagine there is someone sitting somewhere who is responsible for dealing with the complaints that come in from that app and I doubt they are very busy. So it may be worth using.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The funny thing is that Santo Domingo is generally much quieter these days. As the country has developed, I see that most of that cultural and societal development is concentrated in the capital (and I guess in Santiago and Punta Cana). And from what I can see, if there is a noisy bar then the police are definitely on the case these days. One of my good friends is a manager of a nightclub and she has spent a fortune on sound insulation and has said many times that noise is the biggest problem she has. And a lot of condominiums are actively taking steps to ban AirBnB's because of the noise from parties from what I have been told.

Seems strange that if you go somewhere in the middle of nowhere like Las Galeras you are more likely to encounter noise than in the middle of a city but that seems to be the way things are.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is 10pm the deadline for loud music every night? Is it later on weekends?

I don't think there is a deadline, the law says you must not emit more than 30db outside your property. Which is about as loud as someone (an American) talking.

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
The laws are very clear here made by Dominicans for Dominicans, Immigrants, expats and all. I have successfully prosecuted and taken actions with the Magistrate (Judge) in the Palacia Puerto Plata against local air bnb/booking .com so called "private villas". The judge is a good man and gets very upset when someone does not take the dominican noise laws serious. If you want results, you have to follow the process.. it is not simply "call the cops".. but it can be done... and resolved. permanately. Respect the process, respect the law.

Ley 64-00 de Medio Ambiente sobre la contaminación sónica causada por ruidos molestosos.

Here are a few links for an idea of how serious the problem is.. and what is done about it.

Airbnb noise complaints

From above(809-533-3522, option 3)

Reactions: AlterEgo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are maximum permissible noise levels day and night and it varies depending on whether you're in a residential, commercial, or industrial area. The maximum permissible noise level drops at 9pm to 7am.

Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Actually, it's 7 pm
1675516361820.jpeg

Unless they have special permission.
FoGpJ3RWYAAQjtR

And it's needed for idiots like these:

10:30pm friday night on Ave. Enrequillo

Last edited: