How far you need to live from the ocean to be save from corrosion?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Unfortunately, the marine and coastal atmospheric salinity is not the only cause of corrosion around. A major problem is airborne cement dust from all the demolition and construction that goes on, and this is very noticeable in areas of urban renewal. Combined with the heat and humid air, the cement dust will rapidly degrade unprotected metals, electrics and electronics. Dust covers will give some protection, but enclosing/covering after use could create additional humidity by condensation, and static which can be a magnet for airborne contaminants and would attract even more dust.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Corrosion is simply a chemical reaction between the moisture/salt in the air and some other surface. Salt by itself is a desiccant. It will suck moisture from other objects preserving them from corroding or deteriorating. Salted cod is a good example.

However, the real culprit is water. On its own it provides a good environment for mold and mildew that eat and break down the surfaces on which they colonize. Metals with high carbon content oxidize with water to produce rust. Combined with small amounts of salt (not enough to act as a desiccant) this oxidization processes is accelerated and enhanced.

Nautical equipment on boats is usually well sealed to prevent moisture of gaining access to the inner guts. The exterior surfaces are usually glass and brass which are not susceptible to rusting. Exterior paint as on buildings near the ocean usually need to be repainted every two or three years. Using a top quality exterior paint and pressure washing the exterior every few months will greatly reduce the frequency with which the paint will need to be replaced. Up to a point. Too much pressure too often and you begin to remove the old paint.

Computer equipment - There a couple of things you can do to maximize their useful life.

1) Operate this equipment in an air conditioned room which keeps the humidity levels between 60% - 70%
2) Run the equipment continuously. The fans inside exchange the air inside the case every 10 minutes preventing moisture form condensing on the innards and creating conditions conducive to corrosion.
3) Move to the desert where there is no relative humidity and corrosion is not a problem.

It all comes down to cost. If you are running a 10 million dollar Cray supercomputer, you'll have no problem justifying the expense of an air conditioned environment for your baby. For a home computer that is worth $3000 then you need to figure out whether it is more cost effective to run the thing continuously and pay the electricity bill, and or provide dryer conditions than are usually present in the local environment or just run the thing until it it dies and then replace it.

Keeping the insides clean and dust free (especially the power supplies and fans) will go a long way to prolonging the life of your equipment. It's not as if you set up shop in a beach side condo and 3 month later your computer is dead because of salt and water. Even in ideal conditions, power supplies and fans in equipment that runs continuously need to be replaced every 2 - 4 years.

I brought extra power supplies and fans with me. These replacement components are easier and cheaper to source from home.

Last edited:

egon1

Nov 1, 2014
we live right at the ocean in jd/guayacanes. i have my tv's for 5 years and so far no prolems. they are on standby all the time. same with my laptop. never turned off. no problems in 6 years, however, updated laptps every years. is there corrosion: yes. but with a little maintenace and good appliances, faucetts and shower equipment (high stainless steel grade, like they make for yachts) you can enjoy your electronics and appliances for a long time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
kansas? seriously, if not salt then sun and humidity. key word is maintenance.

While it is possible to maintain metal work by frequent painting, it is very difficult to prevent the corrosion of circuit boards and connections that are internal to electronic devices cause by salt air and/or humidity. It is part of the price for living here.

We have a place in Jarabacoa and there is considerable corrosion despite the distance from the ocean.

Aug 6, 2006
I recall that back in the days of earlier TV's that my old DuMont TV that I bought used in 1977 from time to time started acting strangely. The guy I took bought it from was a Uruguayan who built TVs from junk components and spare parts in Montevideo before he came to the US and told me to buy some tuner cleaner at Radio Shack and told me where to spray it. This kept it running for six years.

Computers do not suffer from rust, but from corrosion, since the components that carry current are more copper and aluminum than iron or steel, and perhaps tuner cleaner would be useful. I recall that using a pencil eraser on connectors often solved a lot of problems with my previous computers.