how is cabarete doing?

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
have been coming down for 15+ years and have a beach condo just outside of town and was wondering how everything and everyone is doing? no gua gua,s etc all the restaurants are closed to take out only i heard janets is closed at 4pm. things must be getting ruff as i know people the locals have to be hurting with no money coming and and no tourists. all i can say is i hope that when all is reopened that we can try to help each other and pull together to bring the life back into our great town. my best to all and hope to see all soon . have a great day

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have lived here for 17 years. The current situation has kept me on my own property since people were required to wear masks. My wife says that people are always in Janet's buying things. I guess they have nothing better to do with everything else closed. Otherwise, it is the quietest time ever on the north coast. Traffic is much less than at any other time since I have been here. This Wednesday, other businesses will start to open up.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
I have lived here for 17 years. The current situation has kept me on my own property since people were required to wear masks. My wife says that people are always in Janet's buying things. I guess they have nothing better to do with everything else closed. Otherwise, it is the quietest time ever on the north coast. Traffic is much less than at any other time since I have been here. This Wednesday, other businesses will start to open up.
hi windeguy i met you a couple of yrs ago at odm and have seen you playing at the beach restaurants. glad to hear all is well with you . i expect the workers are really hurting with no money coming in . be safe my friend

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
hi windeguy i met you a couple of yrs ago at odm and have seen you playing at the beach restaurants. glad to hear all is well with you . i expect the workers are really hurting with no money coming in . be safe my friend
I have a picture in my mind from ODM and meeting you, but not sure if it is the correct one.

Thank you. One of my best friends just flew from NY to his new "snow bird condo" in the Tampa area. No masks worn by the flight attendants, he ate at a restaurant, shopped around for furniture for his new condo almost as if things were normal in FL. Very different still here in the DR.

One thing we know for certain is that a vaccine is a long ways away. Another thing that is certain is that there will be waves of increased infections because of the time everyone spent social distancing. How that affects reopening remains to be seen here.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, many small businesses can reopen base upon government controls during phase 1 of a reopening that has 4 phases. The other phases "depend" upon tho things go. Be safe as well.

Jan 17, 2009
I have been out for very short walks other around my place or Procab, where it is easy to walk without many others doing the same. Regretfully, most gringos are not wearing masks on the street; not even one hanging from their neck, just in case someone approaches. Dominicans are wearing masks, although many wear them just to cover their mouth. Maybe because of my age, I don’t mind wearing a mask to protect others and would certainly appreciate others to do the same to protect me.

Reactions: Cdn_Gringo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Expat, and the police don't seem to care that gringos have no masks? Or is that just within Procab, not on the main highway?

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Expat, and the police don't seem to care that gringos have no masks? Or is that just within Procab, not on the main highway?

From what I see in Boca Chica, that is true. I have been stopped a total of one time and that was on the BC malecon last week. I was told to go home. I had the mask as a chinstrap and put it on when the cops came. But other than that, I have been ignored when not wearing a mask.

Most of the time I don't wear one I'm walking by myself so there's really no need for one.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
I have a picture in my mind from ODM and meeting you, but not sure if it is the correct one.

Thank you. One of my best friends just flew from NY to his new "snow bird condo" in the Tampa area. No masks worn by the flight attendants, he ate at a restaurant, shopped around for furniture for his new condo almost as if things were normal in FL. Very different still here in the DR.

One thing we know for certain is that a vaccine is a long ways away. Another thing that is certain is that there will be waves of increased infections because of the time everyone spent social distancing. How that affects reopening remains to be seen here.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, many small businesses can reopen base upon government controls during phase 1 of a reopening that has 4 phases. The other phases "depend" upon tho things go. Be safe as well.
we live just south of tampa in sun city center. i,m the one with full beard all grey who used to hangout at the pool. will be hard to social distance in a gua gua

Reactions: windeguy

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They don't care about masks in ProCab, as they rarely put in an appearance here. However I always don mine as soon as I pass outside the gates or get out of my car. I don't think the police would do any favours to a gringo parading around town without one.

Reactions: etolw
Jan 17, 2009
I don’t believe they are checking. Yesterday, I went to the pharmacy. The guy walking in front of me, from whom I distanced, wasn’t wearing a mask. Dominican neoghbor. He walked inside the pharmacy. I waited outside till he left. I walk in and the Dominican lady behind the counter didn't have a mask ! And this is a pharmacy ! In Procab, there are so few people walking around that a mask is not necessary at all times. But I keep seeing Gringos walking around my neighborhood with no mask, and these past few days, many Dominicans by the Banreservas ATM at Janet’s with no mask, not even hanging from the neck.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
There was a mask checkpoint on highway 5 behind Sosua Beach 3:20 pm yesterday.
I forgot my mask one day, went to a small barrio store near Sabaneta.
Even when I tried to buy fertilizer 3 meters distance from the car and was the only customer, they said no.

Went back to Cabarete to get the mask.
Store had also a sign written,
No mascarilla, no compras.

I guess the police could close his store if he sold anything to me without mask.

But thing's starting to loose up now, occasionally see some without in the barrio's.

Some gringos on a beach in Las Terrenas we're jailed being outside during curfew I read.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I forgot my mask one day, went to a small barrio store near Sabaneta.
Even when I tried to buy fertilizer 3 meters distance from the car and was the only customer, they said no.

You should always carry a backup, better to be safe than sorry....

Attachments

• coronasafe.jpg
    coronasafe.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Haha
Reactions: waytogo and etolw