How long can I stay in the DR?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
While many threads deal with Dominicans gaining visas to visit the US and Canada....I can't find info pertaining to how long I can stay in the DR.

Is there a limited amount of time I am allowed to stay in the DR?

Can I just enter at SDQ, go thru Customs and travel the country?

Do I need special permits or visas to stay a month or more?

What are the basic rules of transferring living expenses (money) from the U.S. to a DR bank account? Can I legally have funds (earnings from the US) electronically deposited in the DR or do I have to carry ca$h all the time?

As usual gracias por su ayuda!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can stay as long as you like. You may have to pay a small fee when leaving for overstaying your Visa. Of course you can travel anywhere in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can stay as long as you want and travel all over the island as much as you want.

Of course, there is a small fine for overstaying your 15 day tourist cart, but the fees are absurdly small and will not put you in hock.

Have fun..

HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You can stay forever in the DR but have to pay an overstay penalty when you leave. You can travel anywhere in the country.

As for money use the search button and the word "account". They do have ATM machines.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
I remember seeing a previous thread about this subject that included a chart that showed the cost of the fine for the amount of time overstayed.
My experience is that you just overstay the amount of time desired and pay
what the agent asks for at the airport as you prepare to leave. The amount of the fine is not great.
As far as traveling the country, once you are admitted in you are free to travel around the country as you wish.
I'm sure someone will chip in to answer your other questions.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
So am I to understand.......the tourist card is "legal" for 15 days and then I pay a "tax" for over extending my visit?

There's no way for me to apply to stay for say 30-90 days at a time?

Thanks for ALL the responses, DR1 is the best!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why waste vacation days applying for something you can just pay for as you leave. Look up "fines for overstaying tourist visa" in the Search function...

You;ll see that it is dirt cheap..no deterrent to your overstay...

HB

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I'm curious how the agent knows whether you have overstayed a week, a month or a year, now that you don't keep the original card, with date of entry on it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm curious how the agent knows whether you have overstayed a week, a month or a year, now that you don't keep the original card, with date of entry on it.

Your passport is scanned into the 'puter when you arrive.
I can honestly say I have paid the overstay fee less than 50% of the time it was due, since most agents just stamp your passport and smile.

Imagine how many additional Super Tacano fighter jets Leonel could overpay for if his boys in passport control did their job!

tambo'