How long does inversor battery last?

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I would like to get that much out of them. Around two years is the best I can get in my situation.

last advice on batteries the bigger the battery bank [More batterys] you have the longer they will last. If you have 2 one hundred amp hour batterys at 12 volts and discharge them 10% daily they may last a year. If you have 10 100 amp batterys and discharge them the same 10% which is nothing with that big a battery bank they should last at least 7 years with good maintenance and using HYDRA CAPS. If you can afford it buy a big battery bank in the long run you will save money. I used to sell batterys [industrial] to CODETEL their rule on batterys is always over rate them by 50 %. More AMP HOURS LONGER LASTING!.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
last advice on batteries the bigger the battery bank [More batterys] you have the longer they will last. If you have 2 one hundred amp hour batterys at 12 volts and discharge them 10% daily they may last a year. If you have 10 100 amp batterys and discharge them the same 10% which is nothing with that big a battery bank they should last at least 7 years with good maintenance and using HYDRA CAPS. If you can afford it buy a big battery bank in the long run you will save money. I used to sell batterys [industrial] to CODETEL their rule on batterys is always over rate them by 50 %. More AMP HOURS LONGER LASTING!.

And the more they will cost to replace. Trade-offs, just like most things in life. I very much doubt any wet cell lead acid batteries sold in the DR for home use, mostly T 105 style for example, will last 7 years unless you buy from Rolls.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I want to ask another question.
Myth?

I am getting a look from "OH MY GOD HE HAS REFRIGERATOR CONNECTED TO INVENSOR" looks and talks.
Yes, I was told by Mocanos my refrigerator is going to kill my batteries and invensor in a month.
Yet, I had used mine for four years.
What do you guys think?

Is it killing my batteries and invensor?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's been about four years since I had put in invensor in my house and it looks like I will need a new set of 4.
Does typical battery last about four years? It really sucks when all these surprise expenses comes up.
It feels like everything is getting expensive as time passes by, I remember how much less I can spend here but I think I am spending as much or even more then in US now.
Does anyone how much are new batteries these days?

4 years is about it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It doesn't matter what appliances your inverter supplies power to. The bigger the appliance the bigger the power draw and the harder the hit on the batteries. Appliances with motors and compressors are all big drawing appliances, especially when motors first start up. The one thing I want my inverter to power is the fridge. Warm beer is the worst. Your 4 batteries are a minimum. If they last all the way through most of your power failures you'll be ok. If you can work it out, try adding 2 or 4 more batteries just to give yourself the added run time and save a bit of wear and tear on your new set of 4.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Myth?

I am getting a look from "OH MY GOD HE HAS REFRIGERATOR CONNECTED TO INVENSOR" looks and talks.
Yes, I was told by Mocanos my refrigerator is going to kill my batteries and invensor in a month.
What do you guys think?

Most.every sailboat in the world has a duel voltage fridge on batteries and switches to the inverter when it's on line. Criss is correct.. Myth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Myth?

What do you guys think?

We run a full size American/GE fridge-freezer, and a separate chest freezer on an inverter. We do have a separate inverter just for those two appliances, it's a 3.0 with 4 batteries. No problems for years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It doesn't matter what appliances your inverter supplies power to. The bigger the appliance the bigger the power draw and the harder the hit on the batteries. Appliances with motors and compressors are all big drawing appliances, especially when motors first start up. The one thing I want my inverter to power is the fridge. Warm beer is the worst. Your 4 batteries are a minimum. If they last all the way through most of your power failures you'll be ok. If you can work it out, try adding 2 or 4 more batteries just to give yourself the added run time and save a bit of wear and tear on your new set of 4.

On a 12 volt inverter, you could add 2 more 6 volt batteries. Most systems are 24 volts which would mean adding 4 more batteries.

I have been running two refrigerators (one is 26 cubic feet with an ice maker) , up to 3 televisions, laptop computers, three ceiling fans and some lights on inverters for 13 years. Frequent battery changes and the occasional repair of the inverter are needed. It is what it is.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

I can always add later but I really don't feel the need.
I learned it's less taxing if we add more but like I said luz had been pretty good in our sector.
We only had complete outage for two three times a year after 6-7 hours.
It did had other problems that result in no luz but I think 4 years for less then $500 I paid thus time around is pretty good.
But I have a feeling I will be adding later on this year, if we do move to bigger house.