how long for customs clearance

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I bought a digital camera on Amazon and it was shipped UPS and has been sitting in a warehouse since the 8th waiting for customs clearance. Amazon took about 40% of the camera and shipping cost and added it on for duty. How long does it take for this to clear (approximately)?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I bought a digital camera on Amazon and it was shipped UPS and has been sitting in a warehouse since the 8th waiting for customs clearance. Amazon took about 40% of the camera and shipping cost and added it on for duty. How long does it take for this to clear (approximately)?
Amazon paid aduanas 40% of the cost of the camera for duty tax?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I've imported lots of dive gear over the years. The only times my goods have been held up, has been when customs was disputing the cost of said goods. The courier was always the solution, as they are in direct contact with customs. Perhaps it's just a holiday delay. I hope UPS can help.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You need to contact customs. They don't hold/ delay packages for over a month.
They may require you pay an additional 25% of value fee or proof of receipt.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You need to contact customs. They don't hold/ delay packages for over a month.
They may require you pay an additional 25% of value fee or proof of receipt.
nobody said a month. I said the 8th, today is the 12th. The fee is actually 18 percent plus 20 percent, so 38 percent.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
nobody said a month. I said the 8th, today is the 12th. The fee is actually 18 percent plus 20 percent, so 38 percent.
Who's paying that, UPS? This is why I use a courier like BM Cargo. They have reps right there in aduanas to handle things like this. I've heard way too many problems with FedEx and UPS to ship anything over $200 with them.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
You need to contact UPS and officially give them the order to handle taxes. They will inform you after a few days how much you need to pay. Than you will heve to make a wire or deposit and only than after 3-5 days you will receive your Shipment. UPS for import sucks !!!! Next time use DHL or FEDEX.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You need to contact UPS and officially give them the order to handle taxes. They will inform you after a few days how much you need to pay. Than you will heve to make a wire or deposit and only than after 3-5 days you will receive your Shipment. UPS for import sucks !!!! Next time use DHL or FEDEX.
FedEx sucks, also. Last item I had shipped here took 8 days. Customer service really sucked and they had no idea where my item was. All items shipped by Fedex first go to Aguadilla, PR. DHL seems to be the best of the bunch.

Reactions: JD Jones

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
FedEx sucks, also. Last item I had shipped here took 8 days. Customer service really sucked and they had no idea where my item was. All items shipped by Fedex first go to Aguadilla, PR. DHL seems to be the best of the bunch.
True ! DHL for import works well. Almost everything goes through without paying taxes. But don't use them for export !... they ask more questions than the mosad would ask an iranian entering israel.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
True ! DHL for import works well. Almost everything goes through without paying taxes. But don't use them for export !... they ask more questions than the mosad would ask an iranian entering israel.
DHL has, or at least had, the cheapest document rates if you're sending to the US anyway. The last one I sent was less than $50 USD.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

If you're not going to use a mail courier service, then DHL should be your first choice, followed by UPS in a distant second place, then USPS then FEDEX.

That's bases on my personal experience over decades and hundreds of shipments.

I would not have sent a camera with a package courier.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you're not going to use a mail courier service, then DHL should be your first choice, followed by UPS in a distant second place, then USPS then FEDEX.

That's bases on my personal experience over decades and hundreds of shipments.

I would not have sent a camera with a package courier.
Just curious, but why not? I've seen much more expensive items sitting in the BM Cargo office in Sosua and everything is insured.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just curious, but why not? I've seen much more expensive items sitting in the BM Cargo office in Sosua and everything is insured.

When I say package courier, I'm referring to DHL, UPS and FEDEX.

BM, EPS, Domex and others I consider to be mail couriers even though they carry mostly packages.

Personally, I would use a mail courier. I use Domex, but BM is almost as good.

(I used BM for a while, EPS and Jetpack as well, and they all lost a couple of packages which is why I use Domex now.)

I am at over 3K packages with Domex without losing a single package, and I've only paid duties once. (read between the lines)

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When I say package courier, I'm referring to DHL, UPS and FEDEX.

BM, EPS, Domex and others I consider to be mail couriers even though they carry mostly packages.

Personally, I would use a mail courier. I use Domex, but BM is almost as good.

(I used BM for a while, EPS and Jetpack as well, and they all lost a couple of packages which is why I use Domex now.)

I am at over 3K packages with Domex without losing a single package, and I've only paid duties once. (read between the lines)
The shipping fees with FDX, UPS, and DHL are outrageous, and the item only gets here 3-4 days faster than with BM Cargo. In most cases, just not worth the extra cost to me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Already done through Amazon. I didn't choose UPS , Amazon priority shipping did.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ouch.
Indeed.
For some strange reason I thought you did. Perhaps too much coffee after lunch?
I've been using EPS for over 10 years now.
Never had any problems.