How long to apply for residency visa at DR consulate in country of origin?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Does any one know how long it takes to apply for residency visa in (1) the US (2) Canada?
This would be for a US or Canadian citizen with no Dominican family.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Kate. It's not for me, the people asking will call their nearest consulate. I wanted to know if anyone on DR1 had any first hand experience. cheers!

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
We have made our application..with the help of a lawyer).Paperwork ( legal doc's ..birth certificate,marriage certificate and more) Had to be sent to Dominican Embassy in Canada prior to arrival..that process took about 3+ weeks..Notarized ,Translated and Passport stamped by D.R Embassy..$$$$ Bring paperwork with you and trip to Santo Domingo for medical and depositing of all documents...Busy and HOT!!! Then you wait for application to be processed ..approved. Approx 6 months ..Mas Y Menos!! Message me if you need more details..We had a great recommendation from Dr. friend that proved to save us some money..Had another lawyer quote me $600 more US $$ EACH!!! Than the lawyer we went with..Apparently if you are extremely patient..speak fluent Spanish and pushy you can get it done yourself!! Messgae me privately if you want more details..names etc!! GL Welcome ...

You don't need a lawyer to start the process in Canada that I know for sure, got all the documents for the Residency that you must get BEFORE you enter the DR myself and I am no mater mind! It took less than 2 weeks for it to be approved and sent back to me. I lived on Van and the Embassy is in Ontario.

It may take a while to get all the necessary paperwork you need though. I started 3 months before we moved to get all the stuff for my Wife and I together just to be sure it was all ready.

No idea about the US but can't imagine it is much different.

We then applied for Temp Residency in March and our lawyer here in the DR said it should be ready in a month or so from now. We paid $1000US each for his help. It was helpful for a lawyer at the time since my Spanish sucked and the lady who helped us in SD took us around everywhere. All of our Documents were already mailed to her in advance since with live in the North Coast.

I won't use a lawyer again if I chose to apply for residency next year. Doubt I will bother....

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
You don't need a lawyer to start the process in Canada that I know for sure, got all the documents for the Residency that you must get BEFORE you enter the DR myself and I am no mater mind! It took less than 2 weeks for it to be approved and sent back to me. I lived on Van and the Embassy is in Ontario.

It may take a while to get all the necessary paperwork you need though. I started 3 months before we moved to get all the stuff for my Wife and I together just to be sure it was all ready.

No idea about the US but can't imagine it is much different.

We then applied for Temp Residency in March and our lawyer here in the DR said it should be ready in a month or so from now. We paid $1000US each for his help. It was helpful for a lawyer at the time since my Spanish sucked and the lady who helped us in SD took us around everywhere. All of our Documents were already mailed to her in advance since with live in the North Coast.

I won't use a lawyer again if I chose to apply for residency next year. Doubt I will bother....
Hey!! Wondering if you have gotten your first Temp. Residency/Cedula yet??? We did our app. in September and are still waiting..the changes that have taken place(June 2013) have back-logged things apparently..and the undocumented Haitian situation does not help! Appreciate hearing from you..

Hey!! Wondering if you have gotten your first Temp. Residency/Cedula yet??? We did our app. in September and are still waiting..the changes that have taken place(June 2013) have back-logged things apparently..and the undocumented Haitian situation does not help! Appreciate hearing from you..

We just got ours a month or so ago so it took 11 months. Our Lawyer said it was backlogged bc of the Haitian thing as well. I actually thought we may have been screwed over with it and had kind of forgotten about it.
Good luck!!!

I have changed my mind about not getting residency from now on, I will get it but just do it myself.

S

Skeeterthefourth

Please Help

We were wondering who you used as a lawer in the DR, we are trying to find someone to use for my wife and I and our two kids. Thank you for any help. We are trying to move there by Novemeber.

Chris-

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
it took me four days at the US Washington consulate - dropped papers and passport off on a thursday morning and received my visa and passport back on Monday morning. It helped of course that my Dominican Attorney had notified them in advance and she used to work for the DR Immigration.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
my case then would not be the normal. I did everything in person at the Washington consulate. My Dominican attorney had contacted her the week before.

Prior to paperwork submission I went to the consulate and spoke with the visa official in charge, went through the paperwork requirements one at a time with her.

If then returned a week later with everything (thursday), met with the officer who checked each item off the list, asked for my passport and said we'd call you when ready.

next monday received call saying all was ready - returned to DC consulate tuesday and received back my passport and residency visa.

Amazing ! right? but having a Dominican immigration attorney expedited things.