How lying became socially acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
And it is without a doubt something that is utterly the norm within Dominican society. Never have I lived with a people that are so defined by lies. People can look you in the eye and lie to you as if they were sincere that they were delivering news your mother just died.
I have recently been trying to get my head around the lying culture, and it seems strange calling it a culture, but it is. People share lies and opinion as if they are real truths. Like the 'I love yous that we used to tell our girlfriends in sixth form schooling, or the drunken night you feel loved up for someone you knew for 3 minutes but have something in common as mere as you both visited the US on vacation once.
Dominicans can take this to a whole new level, and lie for no reason at all, just make something up for the hell of it, which I struggle to get my head around. 'I went swimming last week, it was great', and they didn't. They are pointless road to nowhere lies, just pure gob****e and I can not understand it. 'I'm dark tired as I've been working all week', from the mouth of someone you have never met before yet for the first time at a shopping counter they decide to tell you this.

Lie denial is a part of this unsocial socially acceptable pastime. 'Hey, I thought you said you were at the restaurant the other night, I just bumped into -=---- and they were closed that night', .......................... 'Oh, so you don't trust me now?'.......... fight breaks out.

This is really terrible social interaction that I really want to understand, the need to lie for no reason baffles me. Lying for reason usually has a gain of somesuch, but...................................

Nowhere else have I experienced this on such a level, is there an underlying reason why this is such a socially acceptable tendency. I've been Dominicanized for many years and something I am still yet to hear a decent argument for, or reason to believe.

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
In my almost 9 years of living in the Dominican, I have learned that Dominican women are taught to lie at a early age. It seems it's just a way of life here. I have had the misfortune to be in several relationships and have yet to find one that does not lie to get what they want. Either the Grandmother died, Mother is sick,baby sick or needs a new cellphone. What really is their ultimate goal is to get more money out of the Gringo.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
In my almost 9 years of living in the Dominican, I have learned that Dominican women are taught to lie at a early age. It seems it's just a way of life here. I have had the misfortune to be in several relationships and have yet to find one that does not lie to get what they want. Either the Grandmother died, Mother is sick,baby sick or needs a new cellphone. What really is their ultimate goal is to get more money out of the Gringo.

set your sights a little higher, those lies are just lies any whore anywhere in the world will tell. I'm talking about it being socially acceptable, men, women, children, everything and one. If dogs could lie they would! Whores are whores, void of this thought, although yes, they are probably worse in DR than elsewhere. 'your child is about to die unless you wend me RD5000' is probably something they wouldn't think twice about saying.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Give us some more examples hug? Where I have my home in the DR I have found most Dominicans I interact with to be quite honest people. Not doubting what you are saying, as others have too. But I haven't really been witness to much lying from Dominicans except for a few Chicas when I was first started sampling the Women. I find the Women and Men that have good jobs and are relatively happy, quite honest.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I got over the lying issue. I began to notice that they believed the lies they were telling. It use to frustrate me to no end so then I decided to lie right along with them. I remember asking someone what they did over the weekend and their reply was " I went to Boston for the weekend" Funny because the person did not have a visa, or any other means to leave the country. So when they in turn asked me what I did over the weekend I said I took a quick trip to Paris. There reply to me was " how beautiful Paris is, I have been there before". A lie to top a lie...lol..For the most part I found most do not lie but there are those few you come across. Instead of lying it is pretty much "yo no se" as opposed to lying I find more often.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I got over the lying issue. I began to notice that they believed the lies they were telling. It use to frustrate me to no end so then I decided to lie right along with them. I remember asking someone what they did over the weekend and their reply was " I went to Boston for the weekend" Funny because the person did not have a visa, or any other means to leave the country. So when they in turn asked me what I did over the weekend I said I took a quick trip to Paris. There reply to me was " how beautiful Paris is, I have been there before". A lie to top a lie...lol..For the most part I found most do not lie but there are those few you come across. Instead of lying it is pretty much "yo no se" as opposed to lying I find more often.

Hilarious !

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I suppose it is more noticed when it has recently occurred. But no getting away from it, it is like they are paid piece work for words a minute. Ask direction, they all know where everywhere is, even if it does not exist. I asked today if the roof had been finished on an outhouse I'm doing as a favour with some materials I will not use. Makes no odds to me whether it is done or not. But 'Oh yeh, it's great, finished and looks wonderful'. I then spoke to Dante my neighbour and it's not been done, and the materials have not even been collected. Isn't that just weird, and I have experienced loads of it over the years.
I often just wonder about my adopted countrymen, and think how very different they are from me, thankfully. We've all lied, but I can never remember just saying something for the hell of it, even if I feel like I am being boring.

I've often wondered why women in particular change names (no not just whores), this is really normal. Call Marcia, Antonia, or Alfredina, Eliana etc. The only answer I ever got was it's just normal, but I often thought that the more logical reason would be if they were hiding identity. But not the case. Mothers name their children one name and then call them something else, WTF is all that about, the lies start early....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I thought the name thing was because of the belief in brujer?a (guys too change name), at least that is what I was told once when I asked since nobody seems to be called by the birth name. Could be a lie too lol :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Everybody Lies

What's in a lie anyway?
They are brought up with lies.
Everybody lies.
The husband lies to his wife, the wife 'lies back'.
The government lies.
The lawyer, the notary, the judge, the witness lies.

Awesome culture.
No fui yo. :rolleyes:

donP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And it is without a doubt something that is utterly the norm within ______________________ society. Never have I lived with a people that are so defined by lies. People can look you in the eye and lie to you as if they were sincere that they were delivering news your mother just died.
I have recently been trying to get my head around the lying culture, and it seems strange calling it a culture, but it is. People share lies and opinion as if they are real truths. Like the 'I love yous that we used to tell our girlfriends in sixth form schooling, or the drunken night you feel loved up for someone you knew for 3 minutes but have something in common as mere as you both visited the US on vacation once.
_______________ can take this to a whole new level, and lie for no reason at all, just make something up for the hell of it, which I struggle to get my head around. 'I went swimming last week, it was great', and they didn't. They are pointless road to nowhere lies, just pure gob****e and I can not understand it. 'I'm dark tired as I've been working all week', from the mouth of someone you have never met before yet for the first time at a shopping counter they decide to tell you this.

Lie denial is a part of this unsocial socially acceptable pastime. 'Hey, I thought you said you were at the restaurant the other night, I just bumped into -=---- and they were closed that night', .......................... 'Oh, so you don't trust me now?'.......... fight breaks out.

This is really terrible social interaction that I really want to understand, the need to lie for no reason baffles me. Lying for reason usually has a gain of somesuch, but...................................

Nowhere else have I experienced this on such a level, is there an underlying reason why this is such a socially acceptable tendency. I've been ______________ for many years and something I am still yet to hear a decent argument for, or reason to believe.

You can fill the blanks with the nationalities of about 4/5ths of the countries that make the world today and still make it sound right.

Just another Dominican bashing thread if you ask me...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You can fill the blanks with the nationalities of about 4/5ths of the countries that make the world today and still make it sound right.

Just another Dominican bashing thread if you ask me...

You must mean 5/5 ths........

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'm shocked, unlike PICHARDO. If you had a realistic opinion on DR then your opinions on DR would not come across so void. But in this case it doesn't matter, you don't live in DR and so.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.