How Much Money to Live Comfortably in Santo Domingo?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW Did you mean to write "chaRge" it? That's s what the greater percent of people do. :cool:
hahaha

What's that Barbra Streisand song form Hello Dolly or something

Wrap it up and charge it .... is my favorite phrase
When I see the chauffer, think I'll give him a raise

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The OP asked how much it is to live in Santo Domingo, and with a lot of respect, Boca Chica is 40 mins drive from Santo Domingo and a completely different place.

In Santo Domingo I would set a budget of about US$1,000 to rent an apartment, that will get you a reasonable condo in a safe area. US$2,000 will get you somewhere nice in a top-end condo. Supermarkets and restaurants in the capital are now way more than the US and I think you'll need at least US$ 500 for food and drink. And I'd probably suggest about US$ 100 a month for electricity. I have three apartments in the capital and even though we try to keep the electricity usage down as much as possible it's always clocking in at a minimum RD$ 6,000. Fridges, AC's and Inverters all use a lot of power.
https://www.point2homes.com/DO/Cond...-in-Downtown-Santo-Domingo-2563/128534768.htm remember it is just one person.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I know a lot of y’all would say that depends on yo out lifestyle ; but please try to give an answer with a number for someone who is a middle aged man and cares about safety MORE than flashing/flexing a nice a car
To be honest, i think 3k is the absolute minimum that you need to have a decent live in Santo Domingo. I know that there are a lot of foreigners that manage with much less but don't ask me how.

Reactions: MariaRubia and Big

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Just fyi, I live on around $2kUSD in Boca Chica for me and a 20 y/o kid. It's not too fancy but I want for nothing. That doesn't include the quarterly venture to Sosua/Santiago/Punta Cana.
similar for me in 'BC', I have a nice apartment at 550usd, which includes all utils, I rarely spend more than 2K a month

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
No Insult but i would not live in Boca Chica even if somebody pays me. There are 2 places in this country that even most of dominicans consider as "S...holes" and would not even visit; Sosua and Boca Chica. Sorry again but this is a reality !
Like all generalizations, there is some truth and some BS there. I live here because of my kid and his older brother. It's not my first choice but it's not a shit hole either.

• Sad
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Like all generalizations, there is some truth and some BS there. I live here because of my kid and his older brother. It's not my first choice but it's not a shit hole either.
I lived in BC for a few years back in the 80's, and the main reason I moved was being too far from civilization. I had quite a few friends who lived there and everyone of them had perfectly acceptable living accommodations on both sides of the highway.
Back in those days rent was super cheap, and I'm guessing those days are gone too.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I lived in BC for a few years back in the 80's, and the main reason I moved was being too far from civilization. I had quite a few friends who lived there and everyone of them had perfectly acceptable living accommodations on both sides of the highway.
Back in those days rent was super cheap, and I'm guessing those days are gone too.
We're paying 30k pesos a month for a 3 bedroom fully furnished house, American style washer included. The bedrooms are small by USA standards, but they're more than adequate. We don't have AC nor hot water and have no intention of getting it. Hence my electric bills are $16-18 a month. I stay away from the beach because it's noisy and rowdy there. Not my style as an old fart. The gyms here are almost adequate. Ozuna's is the best, but I still prefer going to Smart Fit in San Isidro.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
We're paying 30k pesos a month for a 3 bedroom fully furnished house, American style washer included. The bedrooms are small by USA standards, but they're more than adequate. We don't have AC nor hot water and have no intention of getting it. Hence my electric bills are $16-18 a month. I stay away from the beach because it's noisy and rowdy there. Not my style as an old fart. The gyms here are almost adequate. Ozuna's is the best, but I still prefer going to Smart Fit in San Isidro.
no AC and no hot water, you are one rugged hombre.