How much to pay?

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
What would be fair pay a day for someone to show me sites in Dominican north coast
I rent his other motorcycle pay for that.
But last few times I came down he didn't seem happy with 500 a day plus lunch
Normally I leave resort like 9 -930 and we come back about 5

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What would be fair pay a day for someone to show me sites in Dominican north coast
So you paid the guy the equivalent of a few pennies over 1$ an hour. You blame the guy?

Reactions: chico bill

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
So we have recessed lighting throughout the house that we rent. The lights have been burning out during the 2+ years we have been here. I've never had recessed lighting and was afraid of breaking something when removing the bulbs. Our landlady bought us 10 bulbs (which I would have bought) and our plumber/electrician/handyman replaced the 7 bulbs for us. I gave him 1000 pesos and he seemed surprised. Did I overpay? If I did, it's no big deal, but it's difficult for me to gauge how much to pay people here, even after being here almost 4 years. Just curious what others think. He took between 1 and 1.5 hours to replace all 7 bulbs.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If it were dollars, how much would you pay him for his time?

Reactions: thompstr

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What ever happened to the concept of getting an estimate (in the case of a workman) or asking the price of a service (in the case of the moto driver) ❓

I get written estimates for the cost of my construction projects that include materials, labor and a statement of the work to be completed. If it is service around my home I explain the project and ask the person how much they are going to charge to complete the work. They tell me an amount plus materials.
Now, that does not answer the question about how much should it cost.
But it tells me how much this particular person is going to charge me and takes the guess work out of the equation.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Replacing seven bulbs couldn't take more than half an hour, could it? Considering 1000 pesos is around the mark for a day's pay in construction, I would say you definitely overpaid. I'm sure our Friend from Vegas will call me "cheep" but I don't agree with gringos paying way over the going rate just because they can. It just encourages Dominicans in the view that all gringos have bottomless pockets and are there to be ripped off.
Too late for that. lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What ever happened to the concept of getting an estimate (in the case of a workman) or asking the price of a service (in the case of the moto driver) ❓

I get written estimates for the cost of my construction projects that include materials, labor and a statement of the work to be completed. If it is service around my home I explain the project and ask the person how much they are going to charge to complete the work. They tell me an amount plus materials.
Now, that does not answer the question about how much should it cost.
But it tells me how much this particular person is going to charge me and takes the guess work out of the equation.
I doubt you would have invested your valuable time in getting an estimate for a few light bulb screw-in's
But your theory is sound..... when practical & warranted

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I doubt you would have invested your valuable time in getting an estimate for a few light bulb screw-in's
But your theory is sound..... when practical & warranted
Did you miss this part of the post my man?
If it is service around my home I explain the project and ask the person how much they are going to charge to complete the work. They tell me an amount plus materials.
When is not practical & warranted to ask the price for a good or service?
:unsure:
I just got back from a walk.
I saw something in a store that I like.
So stuck my head in.
I asked how much for the item as I did not see a price.
The employee working in the store gave me a price.
Where is my "easy button" ❓