Safety in The DR

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
don't be chillin on the strip way after everything has closed.take it to the house or hotel.dont be buying drugs or whatever off the people working on the strip...some of these people are workin with the cops.so if you buy something off these individuals, them and their cop buddies will arrest you and might demand all the money you have in exchange for ur freedom.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
On another thread some posters suggested that we develop a sticky of How to be safe in the DR. I put the following categories together - it's up to you to add content, add to the categories and generally share your tips of How to be safe in the DR. I think this is a most positive suggestion.

I'll be happy to moderate a "How to be Safe in the DR" sticky. Perhaps the powers that be can glean enough from that to write a new article about it.

Snuffy, you're just full of positive suggestions these days. Nice to see! This is why I love this board. One good one makes up for a thousand bad ones :cheeky:

Let's play it out here first, and then I'll construct a sticky from that (and fix my English!) and all can give their input on the sticky.

Here are some categories to start with --- feel free to contribute ...

Two main Categories that I can think of ...

1. Visiting the DR as a non-AI Tourist
and
2. How to be security conscious when you're buying a home in the DR - what to look for in your new environment and what to avoid

OK, the first one, some suggested topics.

Visiting the DR as a non-AI Tourist

1. Walking Around in Town - What to do, and not to Do!
2. Selection Criteria for establishments to visit where you will be safe
3. Basic Self-Defense when you're walking around and out playing tourist
4. What to do when you're confronted by local police of traffic police and you're not sure how to behave
5. What to do when you're in an unexpected altercation (sp?)

2nd Category
How to be security conscious when you're buying a home in the DR - what to look for in your new environment and what to avoid (disclaimer, this does not deal with financial or real-estate issues, but with safety in your physical area and safe layout of property)
1. Neighborhood
2. Gated community or not? Pros and Cons
3. Security suggested for your outside environment
4. Security suggested inside your home
5. What to do when you are the victim of a home invasion
6. Basic self-defense in your home

OK, that is my brain dump on this topic. Go for it, add, change and suggest ... Just don't fight about it OK :laugh: I'll delete the fight and with it, perhaps your brilliant suggestion.

A last comment, If the DR1 finds the content good enough to write an article about it for their database, I'll stress that all the contributors have to get a mention.

Being safe in the DR is the same as being safe in any large American city. Danger, robbers, thieves, gangs and drugs are always going to be nearby. Just keep your eyes open and stay away from trouble. Always know that the danger is nearby and right under your nose and have plans on exactly what you will do if an emergency occurs and you should be fine. The plan could be even something small like wearing sneakers to run easily or having a guard dog in your home. There is something wrong if you get mugged or attacked in the DR and you are surprised. Everything is right under your nose in the DR just like it would be in Miami, San Juan PR, Philadelphia, DC or New York. You can even look closely on a daily basis and kind of see a funny set of eyes looking at you every now and then just like in a big American city.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WTF"??????
You probably wouldn't be so paranoid", If EVERYONE Wasn't Watching "YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trouble is, here in the DR, "Trouble" is EVERYWHERE!
In the USA, you know where the "Trouble" is, and you can avoid those areas, in the DR you can't!
We called those areas "The Other Side of The "Tracks", where I grew up!
I live in "Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo" here in SD. Not exactly a "Barrio Caliente", but you have to pass through many "Hot Neighborhoods" to get here.
Where can I get some "Claymors" when I need them??????????
Drive fast, during the day, keep your doors locked,and "Carry" a big stick!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
For those that drive and get home at night, always look to see if a car is following. They usually follow pretty far behind, at least 5 cars behind. The way to know if you are being followed is to turn 3-4 corners, almost in a circle. You will notice that once you turn, the car that is following will accelerate and turn too. If he does this 3 times; then be sure you are being followed. Next step is to NOT go home. Drive to the nearest area where there are lots of people around....such as discotec, supermarket, hot dog stand, but preferably you want to drive to a police station. I was talking to the owner of a lounge near the PUMMA on Sunday; he tells me that Saturday night, at around 1am he closed the place down and headed home. He noticed a car about 7 cars behind him as he was going over the "elevado" towards el Gran Almirante. He made a left to go into Los Jardines (where he lives), when he made the left he saw the vehicle also made a left. He then proceeded to go around 3 other corners in a circle. The other car did the same. He immediately stepped on the gas an went into the police station on la Bartolome Colon. He was disappointed to find the police on duty (only 1) was asleep. He woke him and asked where the police were, the cop said they were out patrolling (which probably meant they were out drinking/****ing/lollygagging). Once the other car saw that he pulled into the police station they quickly took off. It was a Honda Accord about 2000, with 3 guys in it.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Standard apparel here is collared shirts or poloshirts, khakis or jeans, shoes and socks.
this applies to all cities and towns. Shorts are considered to be "girly man" attire.
Women in short shorts are considered hookers and will be so treated.
Lots of jewelry? "Please come and rob me, mister"

About money:

Spread it out. The ATMs here will let you have enough for a dayor two. Plastic is accepted just about everywhere. CAsh in a couple of pockets.

Be nice. If you are a visitor, be nice. You do not have to become "blood brothers" with the staff, but do be nice. Smile.

Learn a few phrases, like "C?mo Estamos? " (the old-fashioned way to say HI!" Dominicans love to teach you how to speak...

If you live here, know your neighbors. A sancocho on one of these evenings with beer, toasted casabe with garlic butter and chicken and a few pork chops....Rice, avocado....and this just for the closest neighbors...

Dominicans love to ask personal questions: How much do you make.? How much did you pay for the house? stuff like that. Be very vague.

In the cities of the "interior" , like where I live, the thieves are seldom "random". Often times they have ties to your help or are actually part of your help...

Lights are good for nighttime protection. So are yappy little dogs. Big dogs tend to discourage people, and this is a good thing. Butthe yappy ones tell you someone strange is here...

A firearm is for killing people. Showing it off doesn't do much unless you are willing to pull that trigger, and know how to do it! Train yourself if you can afford one.

Someone once said that fences make for good neighbors. My mother sometimes talked about "spite fences" ....at any rate, good fences can be a major deterrant, especially now that razor wire is available... There are bushes that are beautiful and impenetrable, so a lot depends on your space.

Enough ramblings..

HB

This is funnY Are you saying men who wear SHORT PANTS, ARE PERCEIVED TO BE GIRLY BY DOMINICANS? Is that right?
Please, enlighten

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is funnY Are you saying men who wear SHORT PANTS, ARE PERCEIVED TO BE GIRLY BY DOMINICANS? Is that right?
Please, enlighten

No, you just look like a clueless GRINGO, shorts are for the beach, pool or fishing.
HB was not inferring that you look less "manly".
See you at Stonewall in your shorts Sunday, are you wearing the Lee Jeans cutoffs with fringes?

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
Burglar on the upper floor.
I heard some noise this morning on our yet unfinished upper floor so I went looking together with our dog (120 pounds and trained). Our dog immediately started barking and run into one of the rooms. A guy showed up and I ordered him to keep his hands up while pointing my gun at him. He fell down on his knees and begged me not to shoot him and asked me if the dog bites. I asked him if he thought it was a goat. He answered; no it’s an enormous dog. So I told him better to do what I say. I wanted to avoid the procedures with the local police and I ordered him to take off all his close and sent him home naked after telling him better not to come back.

Feb 15, 2005
Burglar on the upper floor.
I heard some noise this morning on our yet unfinished upper floor so I went looking together with our dog (120 pounds and trained). Our dog immediately started barking and run into one of the rooms. A guy showed up and I ordered him to keep his hands up while pointing my gun at him. He fell down on his knees and begged me not to shoot him and asked me if the dog bites. I asked him if he thought it was a goat. He answered; no it’s an enormous dog. So I told him better to do what I say. I wanted to avoid the procedures with the local police and I ordered him to take off all his close and sent him home naked after telling him better not to come back.

dammm,, what town?

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Santiago, Gurabo. Mabey somebody saw a naked guy running through the streets?LOL.

I only hope that he is not a reconnaissance specilist.. as he may return with his buddies and he has some intel on you now..
- armed but prefers not too shoot. one dog only..

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
I only hope that he is not a reconnaissance specilist.. as he may return with his buddies and he has some intel on you now..
- armed but prefers not too shoot. one dog only..

That makes 2 dogs, one armed. And you are right. I could have shot him but he did not try to attack me although there are many construction items on that infinished floor. After I let him take off I told him that it was his lucky day and there will be no next time at my place. I'll be waiting for him and his buddies. Fortunately got some experience on these matters.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
That makes 2 dogs, one armed. And you are right. I could have shot him but he did not try to attack me although there are many construction items on that infinished floor. After I let him take off I told him that it was his lucky day and there will be no next time at my place. I'll be waiting for him and his buddies. Fortunately got some experience on these matters.

Good that you are prepared.. however I hope for the all that he will never ever return..