how to blend in with the dominicans???

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
This has been asked before and a lot of you seem to forget the OP real intent.

They do not want to pass or pretend to be Dominicans, they simply do not want to draw too much attention to themselves.
It does make a lot of sense not to be targeted.

Thinking back a little, in my early teens in DR I never wore shorts, except when playing basketball or waring swimming trunks.

Yeah, I would have to admit, it doesn't make sense at all. Well, it is what it is... :)

shorts are a little more acceptable now, due to the US influence. But still, I would not ware them simply not to attract attention. Unless you are in resorts and/or tourist areas.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Why do you want to dress Dominican, do you want to look like a cheap pimp?

Sub 20,25's lots of tin jewellery, glittery gay t-shirts, Nike Jordan (fakes)
Haitians XXXL t-shirts and massive jeans with salvaged shoes.

25-40 this is a confusing time for a Dominican guy entering manhood (late starters)and this is where the decisions go even more wrong. Plastic leather crocodile shoes, with stone washed bleached jeans, the hair is grown slightly longer at this age but still the knowledge to know what to do with it is not there and so often a trilby is used as cover. A shirt from a 'village people' tribute band, occasionally with christmas cracker cuff links.
Haitians, this age group of Haitians seem to be able to look like they are always either going to or coming from work, which is odd as they often live where they work.

35-55 seem to be the 'I don't give a $hit' years where the hand me downs from dead relatives twice their size seem to come down the line, this can lead to very interesting styles of varying success, but at this time the brugal is more important than the clothes.
Haitians around this age seem to go through eye troubles when they can't quite see where the bottom of their trousers ends and the ankle begins, odd crocs and a Chaka Khan t-shirt and a timberland check shirt accompany this style well.

55+ seems to be the time when all men buy forever trousers, a single pair of trousers that will see them through to the grave. A few shirts from the 20's has been saved for this time and goes well with washed out forever trousers, the trilby makes a return appearance and occasionally a gold watch or ring finds its way into his hands, somehow.
Haitian men seem to disintegrate at 55-60, no one knows what happens to them, some say it is voodoo tax, some say they are just so worn out by that age they Litterally turn to dust and blow away.

So if you want to dress to fit in then cool, go for it. But you're much better off just dressing how you dress now, but less warm. Don't abandon your unique identity just because the people around you have none. Be your own person, your own style, you will fit in more like that than you will trying to style out like a Dom.

LOL I like this very funny. Sunglasses in the DR protect your eyes from the T shirt on the streets as well.

Dec 26, 2011
This has been asked before and a lot of you seem to forget the OP real intent.

They do not want to pass or pretend to be Dominicans, they simply do not want to draw too much attention to themselves.
It does make a lot of sense not to be targeted.

Thinking back a little, in my early teens in DR I never wore shorts, except when playing basketball or waring swimming trunks.

Yeah, I would have to admit, it doesn't make sense at all. Well, it is what it is... :)

shorts are a little more acceptable now, due to the US influence. But still, I would not ware them simply not to attract attention. Unless you are in resorts and/or tourist areas.

Dominicans, generally speaking, place more importance on image than substance. Quieren "quedar bien". That's not been a good thing. It's that mindset that leads to women staying in abusive relationships and people lying to your face when they fear telling the truth might lead to a small disagreement or hard feelings. I see some evolution beyond this way of thinking. That is a good thing.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Dominicans, generally speaking, place more importance on image than substance. Quieren "quedar bien". That's not been a good thing. It's that mindset that leads to women staying in abusive relationships and people lying to your face when they fear telling the truth might lead to a small disagreement or hard feelings. I see some evolution beyond this way of thinking. That is a good thing.

What is the relevance of this with the OP question? How to blend in with Dominicans?

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
The generalized tendency in RD to be more concerned with appearances than what is.

Okay, Dominicans are fixated with appearances… I still don’t understand the relevance of your statement to the OP question. We are bad, horrible people. What is your contribution to the OP question?

Dec 26, 2011
We are bad, horrible people.

Noooooo. You've never read my posts if that's the impression you have of me. I believe very much the opposite. For that very reason, I'm frustrated by anything that holds back the country and its people that I love so very much.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Pollito,

I have neither time nor intention to go back to your Dominicans belittling and criticism posts.

In an effort to move on to better topics, I would like to ask for your forgiveness for us (Dominicans) not being a "master race"

I thought the pure blood mentality was dealt with and resolved a long time ago.

Oops, ignorant Dominican is wrong again..

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This card game is old. I'd repeat what I said about the other freak who wanted to take comments out of context for his own violin, but I got a warning for it. But it's my opinion on people who do this. Shame.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Okay, Dominicans are fixated with appearances… I still don’t understand the relevance of your statement to the OP question. We are bad, horrible people. What is your contribution to the OP question?

I can help the OP out.

1. Go find the tightest pants know to man.

2. Go and buy the loudest brightest bootleg looking shirt on the market.
( BTW Do not 4 get to tuck the shirt in those tight a$$ pants)

3. Go out and buy an "aluminum" chain and have it painted platinum or leave it the same color nobody would know the difference.

4 Spray on a gallon of cologne.

5. Go on Duarte and purchase some sunglasses trimed in white.

6. Go to any shoe store stand on Duarte also and purchse some blue loafers to go with the white pants.

Now that you are dressed like 1500RD hit the night. BTW Try to sit in front of the guagua or you run the risk of getting your pants dirty with all the traffic entering and exiting the guagua.

Dec 26, 2011
Pollito,

I have neither time nor intention to go back to your Dominicans belittling and criticism posts.

In an effort to move on to better topics, I would like to ask for your forgiveness for us (Dominicans) not being a "master race"

I thought the pure blood mentality was dealt with and resolved a long time ago.

Oops, ignorant Dominican is wrong again..

Acomplejao.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I can help the OP out.

1. Go find the tightest pants know to man.

2. Go and buy the loudest brightest bootleg looking shirt on the market.
( BTW Do not 4 get to tuck the shirt in those tight a$$ pants)

3. Go out and buy an "aluminum" chain and have it painted platinum or leave it the same color nobody would know the difference.

4 Spray on a gallon of cologne.

5. Go on Duarte and purchase some sunglasses trimed in white.

6. Go to any shoe store stand on Duarte also and purchse some blue loafers to go with the white pants.

Now that you are dressed like 1500RD hit the night. BTW Try to sit in front of the guagua or you run the risk of getting your pants dirty with all the traffic entering and exiting the guagua.

This is indeed funny...

By the way, for # 2, a "man' tucks in his shirts.