how to blend in with the dominicans???

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why do you all want to blend in? It is impossible, and really clothng has nothing to do with it.

Sure, you do not go to a formal dinner, or a nice restaurant, wearing flipflops and shorts, but did you do so at home?

Sure you do not go to the supermarket barechested (especially if you are of the female kind...lol), but did you do so at home?

You are a gringo, and you will always be a gringo, no matter how you dress.

In America you might be Asian, and behave and dress like an Asian, you will still be Asian.
In Europe you might be Moroccan, and fully integrated, you will still be a Moroccan.

Blending in is not about the clothes, but about your behavior, your integration, your knowledge of the language or your attempts at it, and about the respect you have for the local population.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BelgianK

Dec 26, 2011
Blending in is not about the clothes, but about your behavior, your integration, your knowledge of the language or your attempts at it, and about the respect you have for the local population.

That's it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you stick out you stick out, no matter where you are.
When people talk about this stuff it is irrelevant unless you are living somewhere it makes odds. When I worked in Saudi the expats wives had to dress differently, not because it stopped them standing out, but because it was disrespectful not to, same in Kuwait although not so much. But these types of question really are unimportant, you're not going to upset anyone in DR. Although saying that many Dominican women will not take kindly to you going topless I front of their husbands, at a pool or the beach.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Why do you all want to blend in? It is impossible, and really clothng has nothing to do with it.

Sure, you do not go to a formal dinner, or a nice restaurant, wearing flipflops and shorts, but did you do so at home?

Sure you do not go to the supermarket barechested (especially if you are of the female kind...lol), but did you do so at home?

In America you might be Asian, and behave and dress like an Asian, you will still be Asian.
In Europe you might be Moroccan, and fully integrated, you will still be a Moroccan.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BelgianK

Well, of course the OP will stand out bit I still believe he is asking a fairly important question. I'm not talking about fitting in as in a pysical way but finding out what is considered acceptable to do or to wear is something everyone should do.

I know some local volunteers who used to go to work in flip flops and tank tops. The people they worked with thought that they were very disrespectful and had a very low opinion of them.

And hey, I once read an article on Marie Claire Magazine about American women who got in serious trouble in western countries for for not knowing local customs. I can recall the story of one who got on a bus, it was full of men and everyone started touching her because they thought she was a prostitute, and another one who was just enjoying getting wet under the rain.

Of course, things are not as extreme here, but it's good to know!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Just my 2 cents worth.

BelgianK

Blending in with a group of people has about 80% based on appearance. If a man or a woman wants to blend in with a certain group of people he or she has to dress like the masses.

I think you are getting "blending in" and being accepted confused.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Blending in with a group of people has about 80% based on appearance. If a man or a woman wants to blend in with a certain group of people he or she has to dress like the masses.

I think you are getting "blending in" and being accepted confused.

So if you go to Scotland, you will wear a kilt? If you go to Saudi, you will wear one of those long skirts? Let me tell you one thing... you will look like an idiot, and you will be ridiculed by the locals (probably behind your back...)

You want to blend in or be accepted? You treat the people with respect, respect their customs, speak or try to speak their language, eat their food, etc... But please do not try to dress like them, do not try to copy their behavior, etc...

As much as you are unique, so are they. And you cannot copy this, only respect it.

This from someone who has done business in over 25 countries in the world. And yes, in certain Arabian countries it is polite to belch after supper, and they expect it, so you do it. As I am not a natural belcher, you do not know the amount of sparkling water I had to drink to be polite, and to be accepted...

My definition of blending in, is being accepted by the local population as a worthwhile, and respected addition to their society, with my own pecularities.

BelgianK

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
EW!! Well, yeah, they're worse with shorts!

you'd be surprised how normal it is in the city, you don't stand out for wearing socks with sandals if your just hanging out doing nothing, it is pretty normal, the streets are dirty, if you're gunna wear sandals you wanna keep the filth off your feet. Probably the difference between living in a beach town resort and the city. Not for the club obviously but hanging its normal.

Alot of the places you go into for a drink in the early evening in the city look at you like you're a freak if you aren't wearing socks and entering the bar. No hassle if you got socks on. Really!

Zulu

May 27, 2012
One day im going to do what a friend of mine did, walk into a car dealership wearing shorts and flip flops and a wife beater head towards the most expensive car on the lot ask for the price. Check and see how the salesman treats you because he thinks you cannot afford it dressed like that, call his supervisor for a second opinion then offer to buy the car in cash hand over the duffle bag hop in the car as they are doing the paper work and drive off. The supervisor got the commission due to the fact that the salesman was giving him attitude. Moral of the story is it does not matter what you wear because bottom line is the clothes do not determine how much you are worth.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
img_9875.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is not about worth, on any level, what has that to do with it?

I've also seen that film with the duffle bag of cash, but it's not wise to drive off before the paperwork is complete, they can get away with that in the movies though cant they, real life is a little different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No sandals with socks, no short shorts (only for the beach), no speedos, Hawaiian shirts or franny packs.
Don't wear flip flops to work, taking a class, going to the supermarket or to a social gathering. Flip flops are for staying home or going to the beach!

i do nearly all that :) socks with flip fops? check. short shorts? check. plus short dresses. flip flops to work? triple check, including flip flops with socks (A/C). to the supermarket? hell, yeah! and with short shorts to match! social gatherings? i could not care less, flip flops all the way! :)

i have it very deep in between my butt cheeks what people think of me. i may ask miesposo if something i want to wear is ok for the occasion because it is, at times, important to him. but you will not see me caring about it. flip flops? for crying out loud, what's the problem? i have clean and neat feet. no bad smell, no yellow heel, no fungal infection. lemme breath!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
i do nearly all that :) socks with flip fops? check. short shorts? check. plus short dresses. flip flops to work? triple check, including flip flops with socks (A/C). to the supermarket? hell, yeah! and with short shorts to match! social gatherings? i could not care less, flip flops all the way! :)

i have it very deep in between my butt cheeks what people think of me. i may ask miesposo if something i want to wear is ok for the occasion because it is, at times, important to him. but you will not see me caring about it. flip flops? for crying out loud, what's the problem? i have clean and neat feet. no bad smell, no yellow heel, no fungal infection. lemme breath!

Flip flops with socks? :rolleyes:So all you need is the Franny pack, or do you have that too?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, only a handbag :)
flip flops with socks is only for when it is really cold and i feel kinda lazy :) so not that often. and yes, i go out like that too, to the supermarket. :p

Dec 26, 2011
no, only a handbag :)
flip flops with socks is only for when it is really cold and i feel kinda lazy :) so not that often. and yes, i go out like that too, to the supermarket. :p

Do you have to cut a notch in the socks? Sounds uncomfortable.