How to get copy of a decreto.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Hi. With all the changes in new cedulas and passport my sister cannot renew her passport. Dr. Balaguer signed a decreto in the 70s declaring us Dominicanos por Origen. My sister went to Banco Popular to renew her passport with her cedula. She was told you are not Dominican. She was sent to Interior Y Policia. No sign of the decreto. Now she is stock. She cannot travel.
Where can she get a copy of the decreto and can she get it herself? The birth certificate says Dominicano por Origen but does not state the number of the decreto. I told her to go to the Registro Civil and ask the worker to give her the number of the decreto that the transcript of her birth certificate should have. Any other way she can get the copy of the decreto?
Please, any advice. Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That decree would be in the Archivo General de la Naci?n.

However, the fact that she has a passport should be evidence enough that she is a Dominican...Banco Popular are not passport agents...

HB

cuas

May 29, 2006
I had a Dominican passport too but in one of my trips I tried to get the new cedula there was when the trouble started. I have an American passport and I prefer to pay for the tourist card and overstaying fee than dealing with Dominican authorities.
But my sister is still stock with the Dominican system.
Maybe you do not know that to renew your passport you have to submit the request at Banco Popular (the same system as US Consulate). Banco Popular sees that my sister was born in Aruba and tell her you are not Dominican and sent her to Interior Y Policia to get clearance. She always renewed her passport before without any problem. Interior Y Policia says a lot of error was made before and they are correcting one by one now as the problem arise.
Passport and cedula say Dominicana por Origen.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Oops. I forgot to say Thank you.
I will tell her to go there maybe she can find a bucon that can help her search year by year. The person in charge of that section in Interior y Policia told me that who ever was working there before did not know what he was doing. I took a good friend (lawyer) there to talk to him, they salute each other but he also was told "cannot help her" if she cannot find the decreto she has to start all over again.