how to stay safe - tips from dominican police

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Don't forget heading Maximo Gomez and 27th de Feb. towards the south towards the malecon. They set up there in pairs, maybe 4-5 motos at night. Right in front of the US Embassy/Consular building. No shame, nor worry on their part. Avoid that intersection, or crossing down into their trap.

Yes, I always avoid that intersection too, as well as many others. There are many places/routes to avoid because of police set ups.

Is there a seatbelt law in the DR? YES RD$1667
Is there an official cellphone law in the DR? YES RD$1667
Is there a childseat law in the DR? No, but no children on a front seat (RD$1667)

There's full list of fines:

Tarifario de Multas

Infracciones Y Articulo Ley 241 Y Sus Modificaciones Que Las Sancionan

Sin licencia (art. 47)

Licencia vencida (art. 40)

No seguro (Ley 143-02)

Sin matricula (art. 27-3)

Sin placa (27-4)

Sin revista (110)

Sin casco (135-C)

Luz roja (96-B-1)

Obstrucci?n (88)

Zonas prohibidas (81)

Se?ales de tr?nsito (97)

V?a contraria (97-D)

Viraje en U (76-C)

Giro prohibido(76)

Conducci?n temeraria (65)

Conducir en estado de embriaguez (93)

Personas sobre la carga (174)

Ceder el paso a veh?culos de emergencias (74-h)

Exceso de pasajeros (105)

Exceso de pasajeros asiento delantero (106)

No exhibir placa en su lugar (27-4)

Luz delantera apagada (144)

Luz trasera apagada (145)

Sin cintur?n (161)

Espejo retrovisor (158)

Equipos de emergencias (164)

Bandera roja (171-A-3)

Pe?n (173-D)

Placa de exhibici?n (27-21)

Carga sin lona (171-8)

Aditamento en la placa (27-9)

Uso del celular (1, ley 143-01)

Lanzar desperdicios en las v?as p?blicas Art. 130.

Ni?os menores en el asiento delantero (106)

In some cases they can tow your car and keep it until you pay the fine, then you have to pay for towing service too in order to get your car back.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
This is the instruction how to pay your fine.

Procedimientos para el pago de multas

La Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte (AMET) le informa cuales son los pasos que debe dar para que su status en nuestra instituci?n este correcto.

1. Primer Caso

? Si reconoce la multa y tiene el comprobante.

1ro. Presentarse a la sucursal del Banco de Reservas que mas le convenga y pagar la misma.

2do. Pasar por la oficina central de AMET con el recibo del pago que le da el Banco de Reservas para cambiar su status.

2. Segundo caso

? Si reconoce la multa y no tiene el comprobante.

1ro. Pasar por la oficina central de AMET a procurar una autorizaci?n para el pago de la multa.

2do. Presentarse a la sucursal del Banco de Reservas con dicha autorizaci?n y pagar la misma.

3ro. Finalmente, ir a la oficina central de AMET con el recibo del pago que le da el Banco de Reservas para cambiar su status

3. Tercer caso

? Si quiere reclamar la multa.

1ro. Si la fiscalizaci?n se efect?a en el Distrito Nacional o la Provincia Santo Domingo.

Dirigirse al “Departamento de Atenci?n al Ciudadano” ubicado en la Marginal de la Avenida del V Centenario, Villa Juana, D.N.

2do. Si la fiscalizaci?n es en cualquier otra provincia del pa?s.

Comunicarse con el “Departamento de Atenci?n al Ciudadano”

-V?a correo electr?nico: info@amet.gov.do

-V?a tel?fono: 1-200-4819 sin cargos.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the quick response. Great to know.

When they pulled me over in March on a late weekend night, I wasn't doing anything to be pulled over. Not drunk, seatbelt on, cell not being used, not speeding, etc. I passed them as they were shaking down a couple other cars before the US embassy/consulate on the corner. I kept driving down Maximo Gomez a few blocks, but saw a light being flashed into my passenger side window by....2 police on a moto. I kept driving another block before winding down the window to hear them yelling for me to stop. No guns drawn or anything, but pretty persistent. I eventually pulled into the Texaco (I think) gas station down the way, near Calle Santiago. Of course, it was closed and only partially lit at that time. Nothing else was open as well, so it had to best do. The shakedown angle came in the form of...incorrect rental agreement documents.....It was BS and we all knew it. I showed them some of my work credentials (nothing official and pretty worthless, but they recognized the business name, idiots), and stated that I needed their names and badge numbers for when I report this on Monday morning to me superiors. Immediately one of them jumped back on the bike, ready to go. The other idiot stayed at it, but was significantly less adamant about the bribe attempt. I gave them something (500 pesos, lowest bill I had readily available) and went on my way. Of course, no badges came out, and he asked that I don't cause any future issues for them..... Yet, there they are.

My problem when I'm down there dealing with these extortionists is that my money > my time there. So I just eventually paid to able to continue my night.

Sorry if I'm "ruining" it for the locals, but I'm just dealing with a problem that exists and existed there before me and after me. Maybe the local folks with the higher-up police connections can ask them why they allow these crooks to continue to operate at these intersections so freely. Maybe they should sting their own..... Yeah right.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You didnothing wrong -- when stuck - pay up.... we all do.

These are all tactics to avoid paying but nobody disagrees (except Hernandez) with paying as a last resort

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Maybe the local folks with the higher-up police connections can ask them why they allow these crooks to continue to operate at these intersections so freely.
These crooks share their profit with the higher rank officer in their police station, he tries to cover them in case of problems. But if they try to f#ck with somebody who has the right connections, sometimes you can see it in the news next day, something like "Fiscalia pide prision preventiva contra 2 agentes de Policia Nacional asaltaron a empresario extranjero". :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are "LAWS" about anything you can think of here in the DR.
The "Good", and "Bad" part is, they are either never enforced, selectively enforced, or sporadically enforced.
Being retired military, it makes no difference to me.
We "Brothers In Arms" watch out for each other, especially here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I must support Hernandez in this, I also have not paid anything to the police when I was stopped for 'driving while white'.. but I drive mostly on the NC, I rarely drive in SDQ and I also know the fiscal of all provinces that I travel trough..

Make sure your paperwork is in order, that you have done nothing wrong, that you tape the encounter and you have nothing to worry about... when you are in daylight hours and there are people around.. stay calm, do not confront them, make no sudden movements and kindly work into the conversation you're heading to the house of the fiscal/judge/politico for lunch/dinner and would like to call him to know you have been delayed by the police... they will get the picture..

Would I 'never' pay up? Of course I would like to say that but then again I haven't been alone in a dark alley with two PN on a moto with drawn guns...

I usually drive a tinted window Cara de Gato with politico posters and hardly ever get stopped because most officales know the car (it's not mine)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Someone else mentioned the Valet Key.
I don't get what the Valet key is? They have to open the door and drive it so what is the difference?
No key fob?

it was alterego with her toyota venza, i think. wiki helpfully says: Some cars come with an additional key known as a valet key that starts the ignition and opens the driver's side door, but prevents the valet from gaining access to valuables that are located in the trunk or the glove box. Some valet keys, particularly those to high-performance vehicles, go so far as to restrict the engine's power output to prevent joyriding.

what valuables are usually located in the trunk? a body of an ex-wife?