Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Reactions: Lucifer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since I won't be subscribing to NR review I will not be aware of what is said there.

Reactions: Big

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For the same reason things are different between the USA and Mexico, the USA and Cuba, Greece and Albania, Israel and Jordan, North Korea and South Korea (with this one the two countries are identical all the way down to the people, but each governed by different governments following different ideologies and development strategies), Colombia and Venezuela…

I really don’t see what “being in one island” has to do with it. You have two countries that follow different policies for years, whatever the results are they will be different. Duh…

Reactions: colmcb

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The link works fine without subscribing.........
I guess it depends upon your definition of works. I cannot see the full article without subscribing. All I can see is this much:

By DOMINIC PINO
March 22, 2024 1:44 PM
91 CommentsListen
The horrific events unfolding in Haiti have caught the world's attention. Haiti is an unusually poor country compared to the rest of the Western Hemisphere. It tends to make international news only for terrible events, such as violent uprisings or the 2010 earthquake.
But Haiti is on the same island as the Dominican Republic, a country with an entirely different reputation. The Dominican Republic is a tourist destination that produces top MLB players and has had one of the fastest-growing economies in the world for years. Its GDP per capita is now almost as high as Mexico's, making it one of ...
TO READ THE FULL STORY
JOIN NRPLUSLOGIN

Note the worlds on how to read the full story one must join NRP..
I would call that not working. But that is just me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For the same reason things are different between the USA and Mexico, the USA and Cuba, Greece and Albania, Israel and Jordan, North Korea and South Korea (with this one the two countries are identical all the way down to the people, but each governed by different governments following different ideologies and development strategies), Colombia and Venezuela…

I really don’t see what “being in one island” has to do with it. You have two countries that follow different policies for years, whatever the results are they will be different. Duh…
Except Haiti has no government at all. I agree that being on an island is not the issue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I guess it depends upon your definition of works. I cannot see the full article without subscribing. All I can see is this much:
Reload the page and see if that works. Worked for me.........

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
One of the comments equated the D.R. to Haiti to the difference between NY and West Virginia. Someone then asked, "Which one is Haiti?"

One of the manny comments blaming France, points out the failure of France's former colonies and territories, and includes Louisiana... as if the Heuy P. Long state was the only state in the territory, ignoring the fact that NOT all of LA (No, Nals, not Los Angeles) was part of it, and obviously unaware that it went all the way to Montana and the entirety of Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri, most of SD (S. Dakota, Nals, not Santo Domingo), etc...

Where are those laugh emojis for the Nals bit?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Except Haiti has no government at all. I agree that being on an island is not the issue.
It isn’t. It would had been interesting if both countries followed the same developmental path and the results were still vastlly different. Some difference is understandable given the two places have a different culture and that influence the outcomes of many things. If Haiti and the DR started from about the same place and followed the same developmental path, results shouldn’t be very different.

What is seen now is a Haiti that hasn’t really been following any type of development path at least since the Duvalier’s dictatorship ended while the DR went another way during that same time. Results? An island that has always been different every since it was split between Spain and France (the exception is that whike the French controlled their side, it was the modt prosperous, cultured, etc of the two while the Dominican side raised the eyebrows of many since it was the complete opposite of the French side, in fact one of the poorest places in the entire Spanish Empire) now has an even greater schism. The only thing that resemble how it has been at least since the 1700’s is that the two Hispaniola never were on equal footing. One side always was more prosperous than the other and the Dominican side wasn’t always the most prosperous, the most well known, the most cultured and educated, etc of the two.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The story of Haiti is of a wealthy place that with the passage of time has become poorer and reckless. The story of the DR is of a poor place that with time has seen the growth of its prosperity, has become more democratic and less reckless. When sone people say that Haiti needs to be Dominicanized, they don’t mean replacing the Haitian people with Dominicans or having the Haitian people gradually be absorbed by the Dominicans or for any shape or form put an end to Haitian independence. What they mean is that Haiti should stop going the route it’s going and adopt the ways of the Dominicans regarding politics, economic development, social and political stability, etc.