"How will it improve your life"?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In another tread this week Chico Bill used these words as part of a response he was making. A very important way to sort out your life and make decisions that matter. I think about this question daily in both the present and past tense in regards to all matters associated with my living in the DR.The question of "how DID it improve my life" is so over whelming that I literally say "Gracias Dios" everyday.( I know, I know no religion, it's idiomatic). Why didn't I do it sooner? Like most people we get caught up in a rat race. Business. Money. Family. Culture and background kinda get in the way lol. But when the day came for me (wife passed on ) I went all in. I had 8 months to think about it as I pressured the doctors with "How long doc". During that time I thought every day "How will this move improve my life". Well it did, big time.

Perhaps, we should have in this tread, all the GOOD about living in the DR, (no negatives. we have had plenty of those). Do you know how many ppl in the world would give their right arm to live the way we do? Millions. I see it on the faces of all the people when I say "I live in the DR". Now, I focus on "How will it improve my life" when I make any important, and not so important decisions.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Your question is the one I asked myself about my participation in this forum.
Then maybe it is not for you? If you question it, why bother? No one is obligated. If you cannot bring positivity or add to the wealth of knowledge DR1 offers then maybe this forum is not the place for you.

Last edited:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Then maybe it is not for you?
Maybe it is or maybe it is not.
Either way it is no concern of yours.
But if you would like to give me some advice on the issue feel free to share your thoughts.
If you question it, why bother?
I question many things.
This is how I learn and evaluation.
Something that many do not do, thus why this particular thread is is a "drop the bat and watch, walk off grand slam"
No one is obligated.
Thank you for sharing that information.
That is how I learn.
If you cannot bring positivity or add to the wealth of knowledge DR1 offers then maybe this forum is not the place for you.
In this statement you are projecting your inner self and thoughts into my post.
I wonder why you need to do that?

Do yourself a favor and check out the Bourbon thread I started. Read it from start to finish. Take a look at the my posts and some of the posts and topics that were completely unrelated to the subject. And after that come back here and tell us if I have brought positivity or added to the wealth of knowledge DR1 offers.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Perhaps, we should have in this tread, all the GOOD about living in the DR, (no negatives. we have had plenty of those). Do you know how many ppl in the world would give their right arm to live the way we do? Millions. I see it on the faces of all the people when I say "I live in the DR".
In this you are dead 🎯.
It is why I participate and put up with things I do not like about the DR1 forum.
Not for the members of the forum.
But to share the knowledge and positivity that I feel about living in the 🇩🇴 .
Now, I focus on "How will it improve my life" when I make any important, and not so important decisions.
Participating in DR1 improves my life that when I share my knowledge I have the hope that maybe, just maybe one person will find the information I have posted useful. That thought makes me feel happy and positive. And it shows in my posts here on DR1

In other words, I post for me.

And those who do not like my posts are not obligated to read them or respond to them.
And if they simply cannot help themselves they can put me on ignore.

The question on the table is: "How will it improve my life ❓"

Living in the 🇩🇴 has improved my life in many ways:

I like the weather.
And the beaches
And the mountains
And Santiago
And EASTSIDE ‼️
And the pace of life outside of the major population centers.
And the quality of the food.
And the quality of the health care.
And the prices I have to pay for the basic items I need to survive day to day.
And the friends I have made.
And the different perspective on life I have observed why living here.
And the opportunity to look at my country of origin from the outside and from the inside (through the many negative posts I have read on DR1).
And the fact that you can make your life how every you want it to be with minimum intrusion from the controlling legal authorities.
And the part I have left out... ;):devilish:

All of these thing have contributed to a vast improvement in my life.
But more importantly these outside factors have given me the opportunity to gain knowledge and to make self-improvement.
I am a better me than I was before I moved to the 🇩🇴 .

Asked and answered.
Mike drop 💥

➡️and exit stage right

outro...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Then maybe it is not for you? If you question it, why bother? No one is obligated. If you cannot bring positivity or add to the wealth of knowledge DR1 offers then maybe this forum is not the place for you.
IMO that's is not a resonable opinion. Everything in life is "questionable". My OP was..".How do I improve my Life" and since this forum board is DR related only, and I follow that always, it means "How do I follow improve my life IN THE DR". Clearly, I am not on this forum board asking Jesus to help me as I have another sanctuary where I do that. And not in all cases can I come here and bring "positivity", but I try my best to bring knowledge. Sometimes, even that is hard bc I know that way too often there are some members here that have their feet planted in concrete and would not like to hear other viewpoints...such as issues on legal/not legal, investing, lawyers, prositution, drinking and so on.
Anyway...I question why you would post a comment like " If you question it, why bother"?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I doubt if anyone will disagree that challenges and frustrations abound living in the DR because it is a developing country which is improving slowly . I came here quite by accident but have stayed here because of the climate and also because I thought that it was a place where I could find domestic staff quite easily who could make my life as a widower easier in my final years . I live in a part of the DR where I can play tennis and golf and swim .What I quickly found out is that this is a country where I could also make a direct contribution to improve the lives of many Dominicans . That has kept me here . I think that if you make up your mind to learn the language well, to fit in with the Dominicans and to assist as much as possible you will find that your life will improve immeasurably .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I doubt if anyone will disagree that challenges and frustrations abound living in the DR because it is a developing country which is improving slowly . I came here quite by accident but have stayed here because of the climate and also because I thought that it was a place where I could find domestic staff quite easily who could make my life as a widower easier in my final years . I live in a part of the DR where I can play tennis and golf and swim .What I quickly found out is that this is a country where I could also make a direct contribution to improve the lives of many Dominicans . That has kept me here . I think that if you make up your mind to learn the language well, to fit in with the Dominicans and to assist as much as possible you will find that your life will improve immeasurably .
Agree 100%.

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
I had a recent conversation with a fellow expat here on the northcoast.
He set a date to quit smoking, made it about 18 hours. He said "too much stress"!
We have some similarities here. It got me thinking.
I'm single, healthy, I live in a country where I don't spend eight months waiting for four, especially since I realized I'm running out of calendars.
I have a furnished one bedroom apartment, electricity, water, cable and internet, backup generator, all included.
My rent is cheaper than a parking spot back..."home"...
Health insurance, includes basic dental for a little over $45 dollars a month.
I hear the ocean breaking on the reef, birds singing, children playing in the street, small trucks with fresh produce go by my door.
Everyday is around 29c with three thousand miles of fresh ocean air in your face. (unless your downwind of a smoker)
Happy hours a few feet from the surf with other expats in a similar "bind"!
Beautiful women...if you wish to go there!
Santa comes down the chimney every month with my indexed pensions!
I could go on but I'm alredy getting depressed.
Too much stress alright!
Honest to God, it's enough to break any man!

Unit5

Jun 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
wonderful! How long have you been in the DR and which part?
I am currently not a resident, but plan to retire here. I am seeing a lady out here and will visit next at the end of April. DR reminds me of a place I grew up in South Africa.

Reactions: Kipling333

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have been here around 30 years and I have always lived around La Romana although for many years I also had a home in Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo . Domestic staff are available in all parts of the DR and broadly speaking the cost is about 10,000 pesos every fortnight for a cook or for a cleaner or for a driver/chauffeur . Plus all the various add ons such as medical insurance and holiday pay. That means for less than $US 300 a week you are helping three Dominican families survive . Yes There are other places where you can retire and easily find Domestic help such as South Africa and most of the Asian countries ..there are pros and cons for every country . Maybe if I had the choice again I would go to Colombia but 30 years ago with Pablo Escobar around,it was not an option. Unit 5, I hope that helps .

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been here around 30 years and I have always lived around La Romana although for many years I also had a home in Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo . Domestic staff are available in all parts of the DR and broadly speaking the cost is about 10,000 pesos every fortnight for a cook or for a cleaner or for a driver/chauffeur . Plus all the various add ons such as medical insurance and holiday pay. That means for less than $US 300 a week you are helping three Dominican families survive . Yes There are other places where you can retire and easily find Domestic help such as South Africa and most of the Asian countries ..there are pros and cons for every country . Maybe if I had the choice again I would go to Colombia but 30 years ago with Pablo Escobar around,it was not an option. Unit 5, I hope that helps .
My great Aunt Betty was raised in South Africa with servants, nanny...etc. When she got married, she didn't know how to cook, clean, or even make a bed. Thankfully she was a linguist., and professional translator and made great money so she could hire, even in England all the servants she wanted. She lived the Guilford area southwest of London, but when she died her husband went back to South Africa. We have a maid for my MIL, but she is a lousy maid, however she puts up with the nasty moods and mouth of my MIL, so she earns every peso.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My great Aunt Betty was raised in South Africa with servants, nanny...etc. When she got married, she didn't know how to cook, clean, or even make a bed. Thankfully she was a linguist., and professional translator and made great money so she could hire, even in England all the servants she wanted. She lived the Guilford area southwest of London, but when she died her husband went back to South Africa. We have a maid for my MIL, but she is a lousy maid, however she puts up with the nasty moods and mouth of my MIL, so she earns every peso.
I had a great Aunt Betty too. I wonder if...nah...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In another tread this week Chico Bill used these words as part of a response he was making. A very important way to sort out your life and make decisions that matter. I think about this question daily in both the present and past tense in regards to all matters associated with my living in the DR.The question of "how DID it improve my life" is so over whelming that I literally say "Gracias Dios" everyday.( I know, I know no religion, it's idiomatic). Why didn't I do it sooner? Like most people we get caught up in a rat race. Business. Money...
It definitely improved my life.
Fantastic weather.
Lower cost of living.
Safer/ less crime and zero carjackings.
No woke movements/ men are still called men and they definitely know what a women is.
Nice beaches
Short travel distances.
Carnival.
Sancocho.
Block parties without innercity thugs shooting people.
I no longer have to worry about being harassed for "matching the description of a suspect" while enjoying an evening stroll, which is really nice.
Local sporting events where the teams compete for bragging rights and pride not large corporations and a paycheck.
Fresh fruits and veggies on every corner.
Friends with benefits.
Less stress and an overall better quality of life.

The list is way too long to name all of the ways it has improved my life along with all of the reasons I enjoy living here but those are just a few. The last time I lived in America George W. Bush was President. I've lived in a few different countries since but none of them compare to the DR (specifically Santiago) and yes, I wish I would have moved here sooner. Better late than never.