Huelga today?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Friend in Santiago says there's word on the streets that things will get loud for the next day or so in some towns. Protests will be about high cost of living and demands for infrastructure improvements. She says two people have already been killed in San Francisco de Macoris. I sure hope she's wrong on both counts. Anyone else hear anything?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Friend in Santiago says there's word on the streets that things will get loud for the next day or so in some towns. Protests will be about high cost of living and demands for infrastructure improvements. She says two people have already been killed in San Francisco de Macoris. I sure hope she's wrong on both counts. Anyone else hear anything?
The 14 Provinces of the Cibao Valley have called a strike for today.

• Sad
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I just came from the center of town here in Santiago. Most businesses were open but with very few employees or customers. Streets are quiet, parks are empty and there are at least two PN on every corner.

The business leaders around the Cibao were not in favor of the strikes but most people don't care about what they want or don't want. Licey y Moca are completely shut down. No school for the children today, too dangerous.

Potential retirees need beware. Know before you go.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
I just came from the center of town here in Santiago. Most businesses were open but with very few employees or customers. Streets are quiet, parks are empty and there are at least two PN on every corner.

The business leaders around the Cibao were not in favor of the strikes but most people don't care about what they want or don't want. Licey y Moca are completely shut down. No school for the children today, too dangerous.

Potential retirees need beware. Know before you go.

Can they be fired for a huelga? It sounds wildcat to me which is justification in the USA for termination. I don't know the rules here.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I must have been to a different Santiago,i was there an hour ago and i didn't see any of that.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was down there for about one hour this morning and what I saw was exactly as I described. From 30 de Marzo up to Sabana Larga it was a ghost town.