Hurricane Frances

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
krissy said:
hello i had made a thread it says information please..by krissy..could you please answer for me

Sorry to interupt this discussion on FRANCES, but Krissy has posted a thread on what the weather is going to be like for the next two or three days in Punta Cana & she needs the information NOW!!!! (Sure way to get us helping you Krissy!!).

Now Krissy, have you checked all the URL's that have been posted on this thread for the Atlantic forecasts?? If so you will have noticed some obscure Blobs appearing just below Cape Verde Islands that seem to be destined straight for Punta Cana. Time scale is envisioned as being 6 or 7 days from now! Your first 4 days in Punta Cana should therefore be excellent, but the last three could be VERY windy!! Check daily with your tour rep when you get into the hotel & demand (Yes, you must DEMAND) the absolute truth from her as to where these "blobs" really are & how they are going to affect Punta Cana!

Now back to the thread & Frances - Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Krissy, have a look here. This should give you a good idea.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/DR.html

Grahame, I am still up at the small weather station in the northwest. The clever weather folk much experienced in tropical weather tells me that these blobs form with monotonous regularity this time of the year. These blobs that you see is described as :

1.DISTURBED WEATHER IS ASSOCIATED WITH AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ABOUT 1050 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. ALTHOUGH UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE...THIS SYSTEM COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OVER THE NEXT DAY OR SO AS IT MOVES SLOWLY WESTWARD. and

2.THE TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED A FEW HUNDRED MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS CONTINUES TO SHOW SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OVER THE NEXT DAY OR SO AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH FRIDAY. FORECASTER PASCH

So, the first one could become a tropical depression and the second one has the potential to develop into a tropical depression.

The weather folks here where I am, say that we should worry about these blobs when and if they declare themselves. Demands to hotels as to what these blobs are going to do, will stretch the imagination of even the most organized and talented group of weather people in the world.

We are in the Caribbean. This is hurricane season. We are having an active hurricane season. We usually have at least three days warning of a hurricane approaching. Let's worry about these blobs when(if) they stop being blobs in 6 or 7 days from now and not panic about blobs. :laugh:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Turks and Caicos

The first information on how the Turks and Caicos came through Hurricane Frances is now getting out.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/consumer_news/9556847.htm?1c

We have not yet been able to contact any friends or customers or media as their power is still down.

We are monitoring this as it could give us valuable information in terms of recovery and how their emergency plans stood up to the actual happening.

I'm editing to quote a piece from the newspaper report as this link wants registration....

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos (AP) - Hurricane Frances churned its way toward the Bahamas on Thursday after forcing hundreds of people from their homes in the nearby British territory of Turks and Caicos as the Caribbean faced one of its worst storms in years.

The Category 4 storm's lashing winds of more than 233 kilometres an hour tore tin roofs off houses and plucked trees from the ground as it hit the Turks and Caicos on Wednesday.

No injuries were reported but hundreds fled their homes and many telephone lines were still down, said Karen Delancy, with the Turks and Caicos Emergency Management Service. More than a dozen houses were damaged, and one woman was rescued after her house's roof blew off, said Fire Chief Chris Gannon.

Many of the territory's 20,000 residents ignored the call to evacuate.

Cruise ships fled the storm's path. Flights in and out of the Turks and Caicos were cancelled, and many were expected to be cancelled Thursday in the nearby Bahamas."

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ohhh Christa!!!

I have been tracing fronts across the Atlantic for the passed 6 years, I have come to relise from reading many a NOAA report (& many others) each time a probable storm occurs, that 'Blobs' become fronts, depressions, stroms, & SOMETIMES hurricanes. I also appreciate that at the Cape Verdie Islands stage, they are impossible to project a tack for - Heck, one even turned up on someones plate in the Square & Compass the other day as I recall!!

Sorry, you obviously didn't see the sarcassm that was placed into my words. Krissi was looking for a chrystal ball response on a thread that didn't relate to her question, purely because she was not getting a response to her own thread!! I responded accordingly!

You said it yourself.......
Chris said:
The weather folks here where I am, say that we should worry about these blobs when and if they declare themselves. Demands to hotels as to what these blobs are going to do, will stretch the imagination of even the most organized and talented group of weather people in the world.

We are in the Caribbean. This is hurricane season. We are having an active hurricane season. We usually have at least three days warning of a hurricane approaching. Let's worry about these blobs when(if) they stop being blobs in 6 or 7 days from now and not panic about blobs. :laugh:

You see my point?? - Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry Grahame, if I missed your English wit! I really could make no sense of your response (head hung in shame!) We're kinda still worried about our friends and customers on Turks and Caicos side, so, I am not so 'sharp'.

Anyway, let me give you another piece of wit. We were in contact with one of our satellite customers yesterday who called to make an appointment for next week - as he put it - "To either repoint his satellite dish, or to help him find it". It took me a few seconds to get that one as well. Oh man! I gotta lighten up!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I propose that from now on tropical waves and tropical depression be officially called "blobs" on DR1. Sounds a lot less scary!!!

:cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
:D Don't know about being less scary - "A blob of 200 miles wide is approaching the DR?" All the planes out will be filled to capacity! OK, OK, I read too much science fiction....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just heard one of the men tracking the storm for NOAA on CNN. He said Frances about the size of Texas. That is one heck of a blob.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Ken said:
Just heard one of the men tracking the storm for NOAA on CNN. He said Frances about the size of Texas. That is one heck of a blob.

I just saw a graphic of Frances with an "overlay" of florida. If superimposed on Florida, the Storm covers all of Florida from Key West to Atlanta Georgia, from the East Coast of Florida to Alabama

It is one huge storm

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am just wondering what exactly is it that Florida did to get so unlucky this year?

(being supersticious)

I mean, I know there are elections this year and Bush is running for President. I know Bush's brother is governor of Florida. I also know that Florida was a joke beyond belief, a state acting more like a third world country when it came time to count the ballots (the DR did better than Florida in that respect). I mean, is nature trying to influence the elections? Mess Florida up again?

Geez, I just wonder! :classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
KateP said:
I propose that from now on tropical waves and tropical depression be officially called "blobs" on DR1. Sounds a lot less scary!!!

:cheeky:
But copyright must be sought from that place in Sosua which owns the "blob" exclusivity clause. Plus there would be a need to add descriptive meteorological jargon e.g. cumulo nimbus "blobs", alto stratus "blobs". And the size factor has to be included, e.g. small, medium, large, whoppa & doomsday "blobs". So next met. report would read "Vectoring cumulo nimbus "blob" of doomsday proportions currently 11N 45W......windspeed 150mph......severe to moderate flatulence in third quadrant".

Have a nice holiday, krissy! :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
:cool: And add Pib's new hurricane scale, so it should be a Blob of Hipo 1 strength... (the flatulence clause comes to mind!)

More seriously - we are now slowly beginning to get into contact with friends and customers in the Turks and Caicos and by all accounts, no loss of life. They got power back on Providenciales about an hour ago. They are still assessing damage to buildings, roads, infrastructure and so on. Lots of shingles off the roofs, lots of general mess with trees and branches blown down but no buildings totally flattened. Satellite dishes still intact on pole mounts - On Providenciales the hurricane hit them about 1am in the morning. Our one friend reports that she could not believe the noise levels - she says they experienced about 18 hours of simply howling noise. They could obviously not walk outside at all as the winds would simply blow them away. Surprisingly no major wave action, but then they have a reef around them that protects.

By all accounts the folks prepared well and this helped.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
krissy said:
what is a blob

It is all part of a joke, krissy, now that Frances has passed and the tension has lifted. A blob is just a big mass.

krissy

Sep 2, 2004
thank

ok thank you i was a little scared..these weather forcasters are driving me nuts one says rain for the next 7 days..one says cloudy..but no one says sun....i need sun.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you in the DR or planning to come? Where do you want your sun and dr1 will see what it can do.

Last edited:

KelleJ507

Aug 4, 2004
Cabarete

Hi,

I'm coming to DR on 13th September, to Cabarete. I have been really looking forward to this holiday, especially the sunshine! Just as it is getting closer to when i am about to go, there seems to be all hurricanes and bad weather? Can anyone give me some weather details please. And can you just clear something up for me please? Frances - this has now cleared DR? Getting stronger/weaker? And now i have just read that there is another one - Ivan? I'm getting really worried now as i have been looking forward to coming there for nearly a year.
Hope one of you lovely people can give me some advice please?

Thanks
Kelle :paranoid: