I couldn't resist posting this...ONLY in the DR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
That is hilarious, is one of those things that make you think "only in the DR". As this shows how disorganized is everything in this country, we only have to laugh to this kinds of "occurencias" that it is guaranteed won't happen in other parts of the world.

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
It's a shame for the family to have to go to such lengths.

But if dark humor is you thing....did anyone check out that story from Puerto Rico where a guy requested that when he died he wanted his body be standing in his family's home before the burial. Apparently he was found dead recently and sure enough, the family got his body embalmed in such a way that the body was able to be in standing position. I seen a pic of him on the internet...stood up against the wall..dead as a doornail...sunglasses on, baggy jeans, baseball hat...all pimped out ..looking as if he was about to go hang with his boys. I thought it was the creepiest looking thing ever...but it's what he wanted and the family honored his wish.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Could this video be a hoax? how come one girl starts getting on the motorcycle then in the end its a different girl, i'm sorry but its just crazy stuff this whole incident.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Could this video be a hoax? how come one girl starts getting on the motorcycle then in the end its a different girl, i'm sorry but its just crazy stuff this whole incident.

I noticed that too, girl in the white top, appears the moto takes off, then a pause in the video and ends up with a girl in a black tank?:ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Esc?ndalo en La Vega por ?robo? de cad?ver

The change of girls does not disprove that the deed happened. El Nacional paper reports the story as legitimate. News is all over the channels and Dominican blogs......

POR DIONISO ALBERTO
LA VEGA.-El l?gubre espect?culo de transportar un cad?ver en una motocicleta se ha convertido en la noticia m?s difundida y comentada en las ?ltimas horas en los canales de televisi?n de esta ciudad y de otros puntos del Cibao.

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I understand there are those who might find it funny, want to release tension etc. I'm not a po-faced solemnist myself but I have to say that the first thing which comes into my mind is 'walk a mile in the other guys shoes'.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I felt empathy for this group of family and friends in the video.
They must have felt all of these things: fear, horror, shock, sadness, love, honor, grief, sick, anxious, nervous, panic, need, scared, rushed, responsible, overwhelmed
I am positive that they felt them with much more emotion than my empathy can imagine
Remember that thier pain did not end when the video ended.
My prayers are for all involved.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Lambada,

Chris could not have explained it better. It's like she was in my head reading my thoughts :)

I did not post it to offend. It was NOT my intention. I am human and feel bad for what happened to the family. But like Chris said, some of us (again, some) can't help but laugh because it is just hillarious.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There seems to be something else going on in the video-a group of friends and family members getting together to resolve an issue. They had a plan, it was executed and they succeeded in retrieving the body of their loved one. In a bizarre way it was very touching, the ultimate respect for the fallen young man.

Whether he was a tigre, delinquente or whatever else he had a family who loved him and it showed.

And many people from the community got involved. Having to deal with adversity under such absurd conditions, it is not surprising nor shocking for these people to address the situation with an equally absurd response.

Well, it may seem absurd to many of us but not to them. For them it seemed par for the course by the matter-of-fact manner in which they went about it. But you have to have that attitude to get things done sometimes in the DR, and the authorities gave them no recourse.

I can also see the black humor in the situation, and as someone said in an earlier post the first thing that came to my mind was "Only in the DR!!!"

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I admired the way the family took control of the situation and just took the body. This is a good example of how barrio people will put up with so much and sometimes reach a point where they will not take any more. The body was being held hostage for money.

Do you know what I found funny? Ayatollah Khomeini's funeral; when the hysterical crowd pressed too much his body fell out of the coffin.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I have a different opinion and don't think it is a matter of taste or of having to walk in anyone's shoes. Us humans respond in different ways to utter tragedy. Believe me, this was a tragedy. Most tragedies collect their full share of hilarity, jokes and laughter as time goes on. (Think of an Irish Wake). Laughter is just the way some of us deal with it. Others deal with it in different ways, possibly tears, fainting, emotional outbursts, anger or any of the other emotions.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
dv8

and looks like they have money to bury the body, that surely costs something, does it not?

They will buy a cheap coffin not a fancy one, by law the Ayuntamiento needs to provide it if the family can't afford it, if by any reason the Ayuntamiento don't provide it, the whole community will cooperate to buy the coffin, and for the burier, the cementery needs to provide a spot.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have a different opinion and don't think it is a matter of taste or of having to walk in anyone's shoes. Us humans respond in different ways to utter tragedy. Believe me, this was a tragedy. Most tragedies collect their full share of hilarity, jokes and laughter as time goes on. (Think of an Irish Wake). Laughter is just the way some of us deal with it. Others deal with it in different ways, possibly tears, fainting, emotional outbursts, anger or any of the other emotions.

I understand what you are saying, but in the video the emotion of laughter was not evident in the families and friends.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Agreed... there is room for many opinions on this incident.

I could go on for day's at the laughter and hilarious anecdotes surrounding my father's and mother's departures from this world and the wakes and feasts after the wakes.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Agreed... there is room for many opinions on this incident.

I could go on for day's at the laughter and hilarious anecdotes surrounding my father's and mother's departures from this world and the wakes and feasts after the wakes.

Same here!!!!!

He was this, he was that, boy do I missed him!!!!!:(

Reactions: Lapurr

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
someone there could surely afford a cell with a good camera or a camera itself to film all event plus all cables and such needed to upload it to youtube yet there was no one even with and old beaten up car to take the body. instead they put on a family show with a moto...

It was filmed by Vegateve.com a local digital news outlet. I would imagine the photojournalist got to hear of the plan to take the body as it would not have been a secret in the locality.
Vegateve.com - La Voz Digital de La Vega. - VIDEO: Se Roban un muerto, lo trasladan en una motocicleta.

Thank you for your explanation, El Tigre. I know you didn't intend offense. And I am too old in the tooth or too thick skinned (& Irish!) to be offended personally myself. But it wasn't your intention I was questioning.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Brother-in-law and his wife had a newborn die in the hospital

the hospital would not release the body until they paid 2000 pesos.(!5 years ago it was ONLY 2000 pesos!)
They don?t do autopseys here,must be just the "Bill".
Cris Colon

PS, Guess who paid the 2000???????

Reactions: Frank the Tank

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Laughing at oneself or one's UNIT (as in an Irish Wake) is a perfectly understandable manner to release the tension of the hour. We ALL do it in some way or another & I have certainly done it many times in the past.

My problem here is that I don't see any 'Family Members' of the dead man posting here! All I see is people from OUTSIDE of the family unit laughing at those WITHIN the family unit ......... this is the element that concerns me. WE don't have to share the family's pain, their frustration or anger, ........ all we are doing is acting as observers on something that was done & some are mocking those who tried to resolve an issue with authorities. :pirate: :eek:gre:

I am sure the OP probably regrets his initial choice of words realising that exactly the same message could have been given without seeming to indicate he was making fun of the retrieval of a body from a morgue! ~ Grahame.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Bushbaby....
we are on the same wavelength. Some members have mentioned about humor and laughter at the funeral of loved ones be it families or friends. It releases tension from the painful loss, a normal reaction. The big difference here is that the deceased and family on the video are strangers and that changes the psychological dynamic of what our reaction should be. Knowing and interacting with a person while alive gives us a certain right to participate in a bit of humor when they pass on. An unknown carrying on at family or friends funeral I am sure will not be tolerated.