I HATE the Dominican Republic

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Never have had problems in my bank, am client since 2000 in Banco BHD, here in Cabarete.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you have not yet had a mind numbing infuriating Dominican bank experience just be patient, it's coming.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Add Dante's Inferno to the list of reading to prepare you for life in the Dominican Republic.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I go to Banco Santo Cruz en Sosua
Just great service for everythingggggggggggggggg
Its a pleasure to go there

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And then read Bochacio's "Decameron", and "Canterbury Tails", by Chaucer!!!!!
I sound like "XO" after he goes all "GOOGLE" on us!
I was FORCED to read those books in HS, I liked them, my STYLE!
My favorite line from "Tales" was,..."She let a fart, as loud as a thunderclap"!!!!!
Reminded my of my grandmother!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I want to transfer some USD to my Banco Popular Account from my Canadian Account, but I can't find the IBAN# on Banco Popular site... Can I not do a wire transfer online into a DR bank? Sheesh...

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
I dont hate the DR, but I will hop in on the bandwagon and give a bank horror story. Once I was in Boca Chica and I withdrew like $3000 or something from the ATM (Popular.) So, the ATM opens and dispenses the money. I grab my wallet (should have had it ready but didnt) and the ATM closed and took the money back! Of course I used the ATM again and the receipt showed that I had been debited. I waited several days and I was never credited the $$$. Went to the bank, they couldn't help me cause I wasn't a Popular customer. BoA wound up refunding me.

To tell the truth, "banking" has never been a pleasurable experience for me, in the U.S. or here. Things are slow here, and slow back home. I am not fond of the high interest rates, etc. in the DR, but I have not come across anything too bad.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Maurico.

If you hate the Dominican Republic so much PERHAPS (as my Domincan friends would say) YOU SHOULD
JUST STAY HOME AND SEND A CHECK ONCE A MONTH. I can assure you this way you?d be much better
appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember, Cdn clients of RBC can have both Cdn and US based accounts.

RBC owns a US bank, so instead of having Cdn and US accounts domociled in Canada, you can have your Cdn bank and a US bank.
Much better for international banking.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I want to transfer some USD to my Banco Popular Account from my Canadian Account, but I can't find the IBAN# on Banco Popular site... Can I not do a wire transfer online into a DR bank? Sheesh...

I do transfer online all the time to Banco Popular. Don't use any IBAN though, just the SWIFT / BIC code of banco popular and the account number of the account to be credited.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Maurico.

If you hate the Dominican Republic so much PERHAPS (as my Domincan friends would say) YOU SHOULD
JUST STAY HOME AND SEND A CHECK ONCE A MONTH. I can assure you this way you?d be much better
appreciated.
Stay home? I am home. And if you mean, go back to my country, if I do, why would I want to send a check once a month?

I'm surprised though it took until page 4 for someone to reply why I live here then.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am one of the owners that cosigns checks with the administrator at our condo. I can sign 6-10 at same sitting and not uncommon that one gets sent back because of the signature.

But I figure if you let stuff like that bother you, you don't belong here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I am one of the owners that cosigns checks with the administrator at our condo. I can sign 6-10 at same sitting and not uncommon that one gets sent back because of the signature.

But I figure if you let stuff like that bother you, you don't belong here.
I agree..... :rolleyes: I don't pretend I do...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Banks can be a nasty experience here for sure. Just paying in money can be a patience-destroying minefield.
Banco Reservas also seems to have an anti-Gringo 'make 'em wait' agenda.......

And,
Why Oh why?

Can anyone at all explain to me why I have to remove my hat in a bank? It's not a crash hat or a gangsta cap, it's not big enough to hold a weapon so what is it about the hat??

Jealousy maybe? It is a nice hat.........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think all banks in the world want the sunglasses and hats off....

Allen Funt started it all................. Candid Camera

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

Only in person at a Cdn bank. You will have to find a transfer agent within Canada. Transfer from the bank to the agent, then from the agent to your bank in DR.

Easier and cheaper to plan ahead and write a cheque.

Good luck.