I HATE the Dominican Republic

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Only in person at a Cdn bank. You will have to find a transfer agent within Canada. Transfer from the bank to the agent, then from the agent to your bank in DR.

Easier and cheaper to plan ahead and write a cheque.

Good luck.

speak to your rep or tha manager.... it can be done y e-mail to the rep.

I do it all the time....

EDIT
wire by e-mail instruction all the time...
wires, US to Cdn exchanges.......... the works by e-mails

visit the branch only for cash

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Some of the people specially foreigners that have problems with banking here is because some of them are very arrogant. In this country if you go to the bank to cash a check that is made out under your name and for some reason the person that wrote the check misspell your name, in some cases if they know you the bank teller will cashed for you, but if they don't know you they won't cash it. I Dollars and pesos account with banco popular, BHD and Banreservas and I hardly ever have a problem cashing a check and taking money out. Must of the time I don't even have to present my cedula. Treat those people like sir and madam and they will treat like kings and queens, but for got sake don't insult them as most of the foreigners do. Remember that you are a guest to this country and must treat the hosts with respect so that you can be treat it kindly.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
William,

Int'l transfer to a US bank not a problem from Canada, can be done online or via email. Int'l transfer to the DR not possible at TD, Scotiabank, CIBC unless you present yourself in person. I've asked them all looking for a way to get my direct deposit pension money to the DR each month. For now until the govt of canada offers direct deposit to the DR, I have to write a cheque every month and deposit it in my DR bank account.

They say this is all to combat money laundering, but I don't see it as anything but a way to make getting your money out of the country as hard as possible.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Only in person at a Cdn bank. You will have to find a transfer agent within Canada. Transfer from the bank to the agent, then from the agent to your bank in DR.

Easier and cheaper to plan ahead and write a cheque.

HSBC Canada allows online wires.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Nothing to argue about here. Banking in DR is by far the most aggravating experience any human can expect. Banking folks are as stupid as a lose squirrel in the middle of the street.

I hate banking here with the most deepest passion, they are clueless idiots on these regards.

you mean 'loose' i presume.

It have had nothing but great experiences with Banco Leon here. Great service at all times and very helpful with any enquiries.

Maybe your attitude sways them.

dave

p.s. My bank in UK (lloyds) took over three months to transfer a sum of money to my account here--they are the clueless ones.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William,

Int'l transfer to a US bank not a problem from Canada, can be done online or via email. Int'l transfer to the DR not possible at TD, Scotiabank, CIBC unless you present yourself in person. I've asked them all looking for a way to get my direct deposit pension money to the DR each month. For now until the govt of canada offers direct deposit to the DR, I have to write a cheque every month and deposit it in my DR bank account.

They say this is all to combat money laundering, but I don't see it as anything but a way to make getting your money out of the country as hard as possible.

Let me check , Gringo....my memory tells me I sent the $$$ to buy my car in SD an e-mail instruction to my bank (Scotia)
It was $20,000 US

I'm almost positive....
I'm a loooooooong time customer there ..... so long I can't remember how I did it but I know I was in RD and had the money from come Canada.....

I put the car dealer and Scotia together for the banking info.....Poof, cash for the car

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Today at the Banco del Retroceso. I need to cash a check for one of the residents of our residencial. She pays the maintenance fee by check, signed in advance since she lives abroad. I passed on the administration of the residencial to another neighbor but the checks were already made out on my name, so I cash them for the neighbor who has the administration right now.

I use my 'valuable' time to make a line in the Banco del Retroceso, when it's my turn the clueless cashier girl takes a long while, talks to a clueless manager (also a lady) who makes two phone calls and then the cashier comes back at me: me informan que la firma esta alterada. I won't show a picture of the check here, but what it has is that the letter Y in the name had a slightly thicker line on one of the 'arms'. I know you shouldn't fight with ignorant Dominicans, but I did (not achieving anything ofcourse).

Anyway.....WHEN will I finally be back in an environment where people think for themselves and not follow some programmed rules like if they are trained ........ never mind.

Just go to another bank of the same company and get it changed by another teller.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's what we all say about opening a bank account - when some people encounter problems......

go to another branch or another bank or another teller.....

works like a dream

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
New anti-laundering laws came into effect a few years back. Now you can't even buy $400 USD with cash without producing ID. I thought it would be an easy thing initiate an online transfer or to setup an automatic monthly transfer but thus far I have been unsuccessful.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Xoom, Caribe Express, and my US ATM/Check card have worked pretty well for me thus far, especially with the free codes on DR1! Like residency, I will open a DR bank account when I absolutely have to, or someone makes me!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the above problems relate to Canadians..... they have different issues than the US.

The banking system is VERY regulated.... unlike the US.... not comparable.

I hold accounts in both countries.... I see the differences all the time.

Americans in RD can spend away.... with few issues.
Have fun!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just go to another bank of the same company and get it changed by another teller.

I supposed the check number is now registered as having an 'altered signature' so I didn't even try that. I'm just going to give the check back to the administrator and will let the account holder deal with this.

Today was banking problem day though. My wife was called today by Banco Popular that they blocked our NATIONAL, PESOS credit card since it was used to charge 500 DOLLARS,....in SINGAPORE.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Avoid Banks

I never had a problem with a Dominican bank.
Maybe so, because I never stepped in one.... :classic:

I cash my personal cheques with a 'cambero' who has known me for 17 years.
Any amount is OK.

In a country where fraud is rampant you need to establish personal ties.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I supposed the check number is now registered as having an 'altered signature' so I didn't even try that. I'm just going to give the check back to the administrator and will let the account holder deal with this.

Today was banking problem day though. My wife was called today by Banco Popular that they blocked our NATIONAL, PESOS credit card since it was used to charge 500 DOLLARS,....in SINGAPORE.

OOOps...not a bank problem there..... card problem

we've all had that happen , once or twice....

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Some of the people specially foreigners that have problems with banking here is because some of them are very arrogant. In this country if you go to the bank to cash a check that is made out under your name and for some reason the person that wrote the check misspell your name, in some cases if they know you the bank teller will cashed for you, but if they don't know you they won't cash it. I Dollars and pesos account with banco popular, BHD and Banreservas and I hardly ever have a problem cashing a check and taking money out. Must of the time I don't even have to present my cedula. Treat those people like sir and madam and they will treat like kings and queens, but for got sake don't insult them as most of the foreigners do. Remember that you are a guest to this country and must treat the hosts with respect so that you can be treat it kindly.

Nonsense!

The customer is paying through the nose for a service to which he/she is entitled.
This does not require me to be deferential to some hopelessly inept cashier who has the job because Daddy has influence.
I am always polite but they are often not.......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I see those "Arrogant Foreigners" in my bank ALL THE TIME!!!!
The security guards often have to beat some courtesy into them.
Imagine that, wanting good service at a Service Provider!!!
They should be deported!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC