I HATE the Dominican Republic

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I particularly LOVE the way they shout out the numbers for all to hear - OK, THAT WILL BE 70 THOUSAND PESOS, YES? AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT INTO EUROS, RIGHT?

My middle name exists as a surname in the DR, but no one has made the mistake of thinking it is my primer apellido. My mother's surname is a fairly well-known Spanish surname but I don't have it on any of my documents.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I particularly LOVE the way they shout out the numbers for all to hear - OK, THAT WILL BE 70 THOUSAND PESOS, YES? AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT INTO EUROS, RIGHT?

My middle name exists as a surname in the DR, but no one has made the mistake of thinking it is my primer apellido. My mother's surname is a fairly well-known Spanish surname but I don't have it on any of my documents.
Oh yes....correct. In my case...we were taking out 4000 euros. Each teller position is in use and almost each single client is a 'mensajero'. She goes teller by teller asking: do you have 4000 euros, do you have 4000 euros? Some discretion please!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Get a friend in the bank.

I have an account manager at Banco Popular on Churchill and she does everything for me.
I walk in, sit at her desk, asked if I want coffee, juice or water and she does the rest.
When it's time to sign something, she will either bring it to me or take me directly to the person responsible etc.

I do all overseas transfers via email and the transfer document through my account manager, I have never needed to go to the bank to initiate a transfer in US$ or Euros. If I'm overseas and I have credit card issues due to fraud or an expired card, they will send a new one via DHL ASAP, no problem etc etc.

I do the same in Colombia, small branch, get to know the manager, life is so much easier.

I get better customer service in the DR, than for any bank I have ever held an account in for the UK or USA.

Yes, at times it can be frustrating, but let them take care of it, that's why they are charging outrageous fees :)

They also seem to wave it around and yell the amount at the same time. I wish they counted it at a counter below that not everyone can see. I took 3000US out yesterday in the Capital and about 25 people noticed this! The stun gun was ready to go as I made sure we were not being followed!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Get a friend in the bank.

I have an account manager at Banco Popular on Churchill and she does everything for me.
I walk in, sit at her desk, asked if I want coffee, juice or water and she does the rest.
When it's time to sign something, she will either bring it to me or take me directly to the person responsible etc.

I do all overseas transfers via email and the transfer document through my account manager, I have never needed to go to the bank to initiate a transfer in US$ or Euros. If I'm overseas and I have credit card issues due to fraud or an expired card, they will send a new one via DHL ASAP, no problem etc etc.

I do the same in Colombia, small branch, get to know the manager, life is so much easier.

I get better customer service in the DR, than for any bank I have ever held an account in for the UK or USA.

Yes, at times it can be frustrating, but let them take care of it, that's why they are charging outrageous fees :)

I think it's time I go through the process of getting the accounts on both our names, so I don't need to drag my wife to the bank for any minor thing we need to arrange and make a friend in one of the branches....which branch of popular has the best coffee?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I use the main branch on Winston Churchill. Aleida Gomez is the manager and Elizabeth Martinez sub-manager for "Negocios Premium". Don't worry about the "Negocios Premium" part, just make a friend. Tell them I sent you. A couple of chocolates/treats can go a long way :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo has his account manager and she helps out but cards are done in SD so she could not help with that. but she made sure we got coffee when we were sitting with the clerk.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
If everything else works so good in DR as Banco Popular in Santiago, ( for me ) I would never complain anything here!!!!!

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
I hate the Dominican Republic

Today at the Banco del Retroceso. I need to cash a check for one of the residents of our residencial. She pays the maintenance fee by check, signed in advance since she lives abroad. I passed on the administration of the residencial to another neighbor but the checks were already made out on my name, so I cash them for the neighbor who has the administration right now.

I use my 'valuable' time to make a line in the Banco del Retroceso, when it's my turn the clueless cashier girl takes a long while, talks to a clueless manager (also a lady) who makes two phone calls and then the cashier comes back at me: me informan que la firma esta alterada. I won't show a picture of the check here, but what it has is that the letter Y in the name had a slightly thicker line on one of the 'arms'. I know you shouldn't fight with ignorant Dominicans, but I did (not achieving anything ofcourse).

Anyway.....WHEN will I finally be back in an environment where people think for themselves and not follow some programmed rules like if they are trained ........ never mind.

I join in on this. The stupidity and arrogance of these people is something I have never sen before. Is there a casa de cambio in Santo Domingo where I can cash a usd check?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Robert, I take a tin of "Danish Butter Cookies" once in a while.
I have been going to the same small branch of Banco Reservas (Plaza Botanico) for so many years, I remember when the officers were "Tellers" AND, "Foxes", and now they ALL have 3 kids!
AND, I ALWAYS ask how they are doing!
"Customer Service" is Non Existent here in the DR!!!!!
"Relationships" aren't!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I too have been using the same bank branch for years. They know me when I walk in. When my mother was here she was having some trouble with her bank card back home in the US. The bank manager helped my mom tremendously and she didn't have to do that. I just brought my mom there to see if they had any advice and she went out of her way to help my mom. Funny, whenever I withdraw a large amount my bank manager brings it to me very discreetly in an envelope while I wait in her office. I have had an issue here and there but she will always solve the issue immediately and apologize profusely.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Alot has to do with the bank and caliber of employees and education level.

I rarely have any issue with Scotia. I posted early week Do Not Use Banco Progreso.

A clear difference.

I also understand from bank viewpoint that Internal Ripoff Service in my country has made banking with my Gringo folks much harder and frustrating. So again, we are on the S list courtesy of our gubmint. I try( just try) a modicum of patience but sometimes...not much...