I havent been on this site in a while, but I moved here and now Im starting a business. I would like your opinions before I open up.

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
I have a been living here for the last 18 months or so, and finally decided to start a business. I decided to mix tech with ice cream. Just looking for a little input, from what a remember, majority of people on here are comedians, so I assume I will get the blunt truth. I would like an honest opinion of what people think of my machine and busines idea. What kinda prices to you think are ok? WHere would be good locations to install these machines? Should I change the name? I placed pictures of my 2 sons on the side of the machines. This machine is currently in the corner of my office in my home. I live in Alameda if anyone is local.
I picked this business because I have a 3 and 4 year old. They are crazy about Ice Cream. This place is perfect for Ice Cream and the ROI would make Harvard Finance professors heads spin. Basically Im turning 30 cents into like $2.50. All automated and I can control things from an iPad.

Hermanos Helados
The Ice Cream Brothers

Check the video out and tell me what you think. I want to say thanks for any input at all. I even appreciate the negative, I understand Im not perfect so I need to hear everything. God Bless

I might even be open to some help in the future.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Requesting input and coments about starting your business with a video that is "private" is funny already in the beginning LOL

Reactions: mboydii

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
Requesting input and coments about starting your business with a video that is "private" is funny already in the beginning LOL
Check now. As I said earlier I make mistakes every day. Sorry. I believe its fixed now. Thanks for your help my friend.

Reactions: JD Jones

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
Personally, I love it. However, I'm not your target market. What do Dominicanos/as think? Do you have any of their opinions or any market research?

Also, how secure is it and how difficult to maintain? Anything that takes cash will be a magnet for ladrones!
Everyone said it amazing. They said the ice cream flavor was great. They didnt like the fact that it doesnt give change. I believe I made the mistake of making the assumption that majority of people had debit/credit cards. So I have orders a change dispencer. Now I have had some setbacks, because every single where I go, if I dont want to partner up with a Dominican it seems like Im being blocked. But that could be me being paranoid. I plan on it going into malls with security at all times. Its not difficult to maintain once you come up with a good schedule. Its about as secure as a Coke machine in my opinion.

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The idea is great.
The thing is finding secure location that wont charge you an arm and a leg in " rent" .

You mention malls, I wouldnt go that route.
I'd try caribe tours/ metro/ etc..... large stops, government offices, lobbies of high-rises, etc ...

What you dont say is how much the machine costs yo, to buy ( or make ? ).
You could rent them out to colmados, supermarkets ( small local ones that are not major national brands ), even to private people ( ie, set up in front of houses in nice neighborhoods ), just off the top of my head.

If it is as interesting financially as you are hinting, anyplace would take them, as long as it does not conflict with their buisness.

Reactions: BermudaRum

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I love it !!!!! But... the worst thing than can happen to you is that it becomes a good businees. And now i explain you why;
If it flops, nobody cares but if you take even a few % away from the icecream market and you "step on somebodys feet", things become ugly very fast.
They make one Phonecall and all your machines are impounded. You need to get your Permissions first. The Product "Icecream" and Sauces (if imported) do request a "sanitary permit" for each and any flavour seperately. Not an easy or cheap task but doable. It gets even more complicated, if you plan to manufacture the products locally, Then you need a "Registro Industrial" that includes a inspection of your facilities and staff and also the "Sanitary Permit(s)" that i mentioned before. Now you have a dificult decicion to take. Go ahead the "Pirate way" and be vulnerable to everybody that wants and will be able to shut you down or do it the hard but safe way. Hope i could help you out with my info.

Reactions: cavok and aarhus

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Maybe I've been watching too much "Shark Tank""
- Where is it currently operating other than your own home?
- Is it proprietary?
- Cost of the machine?
- Cost of Goods?
- How long to pay yourself back for your initial outlay?
- Cost of maintenance?
- Who maintains when it breaks?
- What are you plugging into? The mall/store isn't providing free electric
- What is the retailers cut?
- What is the cost of retail floor space in your market?

No need to address every point, and there's lots more to consider. I offer this mostly as food for thought. I love the machine itself. Very colorful and appealing for young and old. Eye candy along with the ice cream!
You may want to consider a licensing play. You may also want to consider a Dominican front man/woman.
No matter what, I wish you all the best in this or any other venture.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Maybe I've been watching too much "Shark Tank""
- Where is it currently operating other than your own home?
- Is it proprietary?
- Cost of the machine?
- Cost of Goods?
- How long to pay yourself back for your initial outlay?
- Cost of maintenance?
- Who maintains when it breaks?
- What are you plugging into? The mall/store isn't providing free electric
- What is the retailers cut?
- What is the cost of retail floor space in your market?

No need to address every point, and there's lots more to consider. I offer this mostly as food for thought. I love the machine itself. Very colorful and appealing for young and old. Eye candy along with the ice cream!
You may want to consider a licensing play. You may also want to consider a Dominican front man/woman.
No matter what, I wish you all the best in this or any other venture.

The Dominican front man/woman is a very good idea.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I can already see the responses from many that will mention that thosands of food items are sold here without any documents and : ALL OF THEM ARE RIGHT ! But again;everybody can shut down your business with a phone call and also; good luck finding a high value location without this permits.

Reactions: aarhus
Jan 9, 2004
I have a been living here for the last 18 months or so, and finally decided to start a business. I decided to mix tech with ice cream. Just looking for a little input, from what a remember, majority of people on here are comedians, so I assume I will get the blunt truth. I would like an honest opinion of what people think of my machine and busines idea. What kinda prices to you think are ok? WHere would be good locations to install these machines? Should I change the name? I placed pictures of my 2 sons on the side of the machines. This machine is currently in the corner of my office in my home. I live in Alameda if anyone is local.
I picked this business because I have a 3 and 4 year old. They are crazy about Ice Cream. This place is perfect for Ice Cream and the ROI would make Harvard Finance professors heads spin. Basically Im turning 30 cents into like $2.50. All automated and I can control things from an iPad.

Hermanos Helados
The Ice Cream Brothers

Check the video out and tell me what you think. I want to say thanks for any input at all. I even appreciate the negative, I understand Im not perfect so I need to hear everything. God Bless

I might even be open to some help in the future.
Margins appear to be excellent.

You need to write a business plan and write it again and again...............after seeking input from others who have bought these machines.

Your responses here may also generate good ideas adaptable to doing business here.

After you have formed the necessary corporation/RNC number and have whatever permits might be necessary, I would think that you will need high traffic areas without much existing competition. I would opt to try to put them in the busier cafeterias along the highways......those with backup generators.

Of course it goes without saying, you will need to keep the product fresh and updated.......

Who will service the machine(s) when needed? How will you know when a machine is down? You will need a route person to supply and fix any issues.

Lots and lots of things to think about that a business plan should address.

At the moment I see this more as a hobby/side hustle.

Remember............failing to plan...............is planning to fail.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

You need to write a business plan and write it again and again...............after seeking input from others who have bought these machines.

Your responses here may also generate good ideas adaptable to doing business here.

After you have formed the necessary corporation/RNC number and have whatever permits might be necessary, I would think that you will need high traffic areas without much existing competition. I would opt to try to put them in the busier cafeterias along the highways......those with backup generators.

Of course it goes without saying, you will need to keep the product fresh and updated.......

Who will service the machine(s) when needed? How will you know when a machine is down? You will need a route person to supply and fix any issues.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That’s a lot of work and potential stress for a hobby/side hustle.

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I did all my corporation / RNC number stuff over a year ago. I have had 2 different big Ice Cream distributors/companies try to buy my business already. I have been researching for over 2 years. A side hustle that has the potential to make $5000 a month. Not being funny but that a business in the DR. And being that the overhead is so low, its a very scaleable business in a short amount of time. 60 sales a day X 30 day = 1800 sales x average sale $2.5 =$4500. I would be returning my money in 90 days. Not to mention as soon as a bank sees that Im making real money from this they are going to throw money at me. 2 different banks already told me this. La Nacional and Banca Reserva. The machines are hooked up to wifi and have a control module similar to a car OBD2. It gives notification of warning signs when ever it senses its a problem at hand. I havent gotten the sanitary license yet because I was told that it would be easier to get it once its installed in a perminate location, couldnt get it for sitting in my home. I have some engeneers here that will do any needed servicing as well as a staff member that will go to the location daily to check the inventory.

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
You biggest problem would be 24/7 power!
No not really. I have been coming to this country for the last 7 years and the power grids here have improved by leaps and bounds. Its no longer 2017/2018 when the power went out every day at like 11:15am. Things have gotten much better.

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I think if you can get in Caribe Tours and Metro bus stations would be great locations. They have electricity 24/7. security, cleaning, and a lot of people with kids sitting around waiting. The people would buy ice cream for their kids just to keep them quiet and sitting down.

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
I think if you can get in Caribe Tours and Metro bus stations would be great locations. They have electricity 24/7. security, cleaning, and a lot of people with kids sitting around waiting. The people would buy ice cream for their kids just to keep them quiet and sitting down.
If i could buy you a beer, that is exactly what I would do. That is a perfect location. I am actually on my way as we speak to see it and speak to management

Reactions: NanSanPedro

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
If i could buy you a beer, that is exactly what I would do. That is a perfect location. I am actually on my way as we speak to see it and speak to management
I don't think the manager of one single station will have the authority to make the call, my guess would be you'd need to make the deal with the corporate and get the permission on all their locations countrywide. Also an exclusive deal would be a must, otherwise Helados Bon will pay the right person off to get your machines thrown out and they'll install theirs, once they see the concept is working.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
OP, I would ask in addition to what Joseph NY2STI, and Playacaribe2 posted before placing these machines in the DR.

1. What happens (is there a battery backup for the coolant to continue) to the quality of the product when there is a power failure? I'm sure you know that this is very common problem in the DR, especially in areas outside of the capital.

2. Turn over of the items available as toppers. Do these product expire if not dispensed, and are they rotated within their individual containers? The reason I ask this is because given that these items are not factory sealed I would think that some Govt Dept. would require a health inspection for each machine which would require a license to operate.

3. How and more importantly who will handle the return policy? Let's say if a customer contacts you, or the established business where these machines are located if they lose the transaction, or the product is dispensed incorrectly?

4. Not a question, just an issue I am aware of with a lot of vending operations in the DR.
Currency quality in the DR is certainly very poor, to say the least. One way to insure that you do not lose potential sales, is to have these machines near other businesses where currency can be exchanged for better quality. Also, another issue for potential loss sales with the credit/debit operations is after power failures. You will find out that many businesses are unable for long periods of time after the power resumes due to the internet/Wi-Fi connections that is required to process the payment.

5. OP, you quote: Basically I'm turning 30 cents into like $2.50 for each product dispensed, and it's all automated and I can control things from an iPad.
My basic question to you is, does the 30 cents include the cost of
a. warehouse storage and transportation
b., rental placement/electricity fees
c. service/ machine part replacements
d. merchandising cost
e. product /duty/shipping cost increases.?

Just my 2 pesos worth, however by the end of the week it maybe worth only 1 peso :unsure:

Reactions: mboydii